Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Deep Meditation "I AM" Mantra
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dancer303

Germany
10 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2019 :  10:14:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello all,

I have been doing SBP (10 min) and Deep Meditation (20 min) in the morning and evening for several months now. I sit in the Siddhasana as taught by the Bihar School of Yoga. I feel clear signs of Prana movements in my body, which are very pleasant and many other benefits so far.

With regard to deep meditation, I have some questions. In my opinion, there are many similarities with the mantra meditation taught by the TM founder Maharishi. However, I have recently read that Maharishi is said to have said before TM was founded that any mantra could be taken. But TM nowadays says you need special Mantras for each person.

Hence my questions: Is the "I AM" or "AYAM" mantra just a variation of the AUM / OM mantra? Could I just as well take another mantra? In an interesting book about levitation I read that an experienced guru there also holds the assumption that one could take almost any mantra in order to penetrate deep into the mind.

I myself am of the opinion that this is true, because sometimes I also lose the mantra "I AM" in meditation and notice that I think another, but similar mantra and this similar mantra also establishes and holds up the deep meditation state.

What is it about the "I AM"? Is this something personal, or does it have something to do with the personal experience and development of Yogani? One could almost suspect it if you read "Secrets of Wilder" between the lines.

Dogboy

USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2019 :  7:56:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Dancer, welcome!

If you search AYAM and TM using the forum search link at the top of the page, you will find this topic has been discussed many times. Most likely you will get your answers there. Here are a few lessons in which Yogani discusses his choice of AYAM:

https://www.aypsite.org/22.html

https://www.aypsite.org/59.html
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2019 :  09:29:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Re: losing the mantra in my opinion is not an usual or incorrect, at least in TM. Two points:

In my initiation many years ago the trained technique was that when you notice you are not on the mantra, gently return to it.

And, the mantra may drift into something else during a meditation session. In my case it starts as a subvocalization, and can change into just a vague breath. But this is distinct from my physical breathing, which is at its own pace. It is not pranayama, there is no control of breathing.

Taking these two points together, you could see that this vague mantra could be interpreted as “losing the mantra.” But in any case you only have yourself as a guide at this level. I believe the meditator simply needs to choose to start or to not-start, and thus to learn his or her own internal landscape. To let what happens during meditation is not wrong (ahimsa), and to gently restart the mantra when it may have stopped is also not wrong (y direction of both Maharishi and Yogani).

I have taken on the AYP mantra and I use it according to the process I learned in TM initiation. I don’t think that is wrong, either, despite the fact that I am American, we do not need to be factional here and now.

Best wishes and heartfelt encouragement in your meditation!
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4370 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2019 :  10:44:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Dancer303,

The AYAM mantra used in Deep Meditation has been chosen for its vibrational effects. It is not the same as OM which has different effects within the body.

OM is actually used as a mantra within the AYP system, but at a more advanced stage in the practice, because it has more far-reaching effects on the subtle nervous system.

This is discussed in lesson 186:

Lesson 186 - Meditation - Second enhancement of mantra

During Deep Meditation practice, if you notice that the mantra has changed into a different mantra, then simply come back to the mantra that you started out with. This is important because of the vibrational effect of the mantra.

This is not the same as the mantra refining, which can happen on deeper and deeper levels of the mind.

You may also find lesson 188 useful on how the AYP mantra system has been put together:

Lesson 188 - Mantra Design 101

Christi
Go to Top of Page

dancer303

Germany
10 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2019 :  04:36:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all so much for your great responses and very helpful remarks.
Go to Top of Page

Hayley

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2019 :  05:59:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Now I understand why the 'I am' mantra is used in Deep Meditation. Prior to practising this meditation I would consciously & unconsciously make the statement 'I am.....' throughout my day continually swept along by these false identifications and led to suffering.
Now I am starting to discover that whenever I say 'I am' I become instantly reminded of the truth behind the statement 'I am' that what I was about to say following this claim becomes instantly absurd & is stopped in it's tracks.
If I go to say 'I am angry' then I suddenly realise this statement is false because I am none of these things I claim and am simply choosing that identification in the moment, and where will it lead me?
The Deep Meditation is definitely helping me become more centred & rooted in the truth. I am starting to see this truth much clearer.
The Paranayama is giving me a lot more energy. I am thinking clearer and able to get on with my tasks better and I am sleeping better at night and waking up energised instead of feeling like a character from the Walking Dead!
I used to get a lot of anxiety because I'd jump into panic mode too easily where a little mole hill becomes a mountain. Heart racing adrenaline spikes. Which is why I found it hard to drive cars. But now I am finding myself becoming more calmer and developing a more laid back approach of a 'oops', 'oh dear', 'never mind' instead of a gasp of inner terror.
All seems to be going well, Thank you Yogani.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000