AYPsite.org Forum
 Building a Daily Practice with Self-Pacing
 building a daily practise
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JJJ

43 Posts

Posted - May 18 2019 :  5:28:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi
My practise now is 2x15 min of DM, which I have been doing now for 5 months ( 3 months 2x10 min and 2 months 2x15min). To be honest I still feel like I am in clunky stage- lot of sessions are sleepy,escaping with other thoughts and feeling like I am doing mental exercise (Like self - hypnotizing myself), but I had also some deeper sessions so I keep going ( before I was doing witness meditation for about 1 hour sessions and I was going very deep so now it is a little different). I am looking for advice what should be my next step. I am feeling ok during a day ( sometimes better sometimes worse - not much difference than before starting DM, but I have this feeling I am going in the good direction :). Witness is not so strong so maybe I should add 5 minutes of DM each sessions? Due to lessons next practise should be SBP,but here I want to be careful after primary kundalini awakening which was very difficult for me. I think also about starting asanas ( basic asana kit from lessons), because my body is very stiff and I have never done asanas in my life. I assume that making my body more flexible will prepare it for more energy later as I will add practises like SBP.I am inclined to do asanas instead of SBP because of this but I am no sure if it is ok ?? - I know also that asanas can excite more energy. Please advice about the next step especially concerning SBP vs asanas?which one is more likely to cause some problems? I want to also add that I read forum regularly and see lot of people here dedicating their time to help others (sometimes writing same things to different people with patience) and it is very appreciated, so THANK YOU:)

Edited by - JJJ on May 18 2019 5:39:11 PM

JJJ

43 Posts

Posted - May 19 2019 :  03:26:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I want to add one more thing. Since about last 2 weeks I have this feeling during DM like I am sitting twisted on one side. Sometimes I even open eyes to check if I am sitting straight and I am. It feels like there is much energy on right side of the body causing such impression and disturbs my meditation.I know it should pass with time but maybe this is also invitation to start SBP? or should I continue with Dm to smooth this out? Also- How do I know if I have inner silence enough for starting SBP?
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - May 19 2019 :  03:55:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi JJJ

Good to hear from you. It's great you have managed to stick to a regular practice.
quote:
Originally posted by JJJ
lot of sessions are sleepy,escaping with other thoughts and feeling like I am doing mental exercise (Like self - hypnotizing myself),

You are working your way through lots of obstruction. This is perfectly normal.

Given your history, and your sensitivity, I would say there is no rush adding spinal breathing. It will be worth experimenting with it at some point, maybe starting with 2 minutes of SPB, and if you are stable on that you could slowly build up.

Adding a few minutes of asanas before meditation could be helpful. I would give that a go when you feel ready.

Of course always watch for signs of overload, and if you start noticing increased instability in day-to-day life, trim your meditation sessions a bit. There is room to cut back to 2 x 10 minutes sessions a day. That is still an effective practice.

quote:
Originally posted by JJJ
Since about last 2 weeks I have this feeling during DM like I am sitting twisted on one side. Sometimes I even open eyes to check if I am sitting straight and I am. It feels like there is much energy on right side of the body causing such impression and disturbs my meditation.

Left-right imbalances are fairly common. There are more obstructions on one side than on the other. They will clear with time. The fact that you started to notice it, is in itself a sign of progress. So carry on with our practice. I wouldn't say it's an invitation to start SBP sooner. The decision to introduce a new powerful practice like pranayama should be based on the level of stability you have achieved on your current routine.
If the twisting distracts from your meditation, follow the instructions in Lesson 15. A few asanas before meditation could also help with this.

All the best
Go to Top of Page

JJJ

43 Posts

Posted - May 19 2019 :  09:53:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you BlueRaincoat
I asked about SBP due to left-right imbalance because I was concerned if this could be connected with ida pingala imbalance ( more energy going in one of the nadi) but it does not have to be this right? then I will stick with DM for a while and hopefully it will smooth out soon.

Edited by - JJJ on May 19 2019 10:08:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - May 19 2019 :  10:54:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by JJJ
I was concerned if this could be connected with ida pingala imbalance ( more energy going in one of the nadi)

Yes, this may well be the case. Mantra meditation will be dissolving some of those blockages away.

You can experiment with a couple of minutes of SBP if/when you feel inspired, but be careful about overload. There is no need to rush. You are making lots of progress with 2 meditation sessions every day.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2195 Posts

Posted - May 19 2019 :  11:33:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with BR: a few gentle asanas to start should not develop issues, and SBP in small doses when you feel stable, to test the water.
Go to Top of Page

TheHumanGame

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2019 :  07:04:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with BR as well. All you need is a few gentle asanas, because remember that this is a marathon, not a race. Progress at your own pace, learn along the way and you'll see how your practice begins to improve immensely.
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2019 :  08:13:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi HG,

Welcome to the forum!
Go to Top of Page

JJJ

43 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2019 :  09:33:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi
unfortunately recently I have a huge crisis with meditating and it is not because of pacing but because I cannot find right posture. For about last 3-4 weeks I've been meditating just couple times. Before I started AYP I was doing witness meditation sitting burmese posture on low cushion for about 1 hour daily with back support. My posture was always very slouch but comfortable and although breathin was sometimes not fluent I could get into relaxed state probably because I was sitting so long. I always new it is not good posture. When I switched to ayp system 2x15 min. i continue with this position but it is quite short so meditation are not efficient with that posture and I decided to fix it and to finaly meditate with right posture. I bought many different cushions to find the good size and right back suport but without succes and I got frustarted. I could not even go back to may old posture and cusion because now it does not feel right. I also ordered seiza bench to check and I am still waiting for it. I think my problem is mainly bad posture in general, because of rotated pelvis and slouching. It is a common posture problem as I found out in internet and I think my is quite advanced. I am not going to give up even If I have to spend next year or two only making stretching exercises with help of physiotherapist and hope it will be fixed and posture will get better and finaly I can meditate in very good position. Anyway I feel like everything about the posture has been written already and there is a lot in internet so I am not sure what I want to hear from you guys.Only this question comes to my mind: is it better to sit in slouch position but relaxed or sit in straight position but feeling a little tense and forcing position ( maybe if I continue to force this for couple weeks the tension will go away and straight posture will stay? I don't think so:). Is it possible to get in very deep meditative state and at the same time force straight position a little bit? For sure stretching and working on my posture with exercies will be my focus right now.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4368 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2019 :  10:31:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi JJJ,

The advice given in AYP is to find a position that is comfortable for you, with back support if you need it. This is from lesson 13:

"Find a quiet, comfortable place where you can sit, preferably with back support. We want to remove unnecessary distractions. Just sit and relax somewhere where you can close your eyes for twenty minutes without interruptions."

Sitting on your bed is a good place to start, as it is usually soft and comfortable. If you need to put cushions beneath you, or behind you, or under your knees, that is fine. You do not need to have a straight back. Slouching is O.K.

Over time, you will find that you get used to sitting and will need less support and your spine will become straighter. But there is no need to push this. It will happen naturally.

Adding an asana practice before your sitting practices will certainly help. The postures that are very beneficial to help with sitting are postures such as butterfly (bhadrasana), half-spinal-twist (ardha matsyendrasdana), sitting head-to-knees (paschimottanasana), crescent moon pose (anjaneyasana) and so on. If you practice these daily for a few minutes, your sitting practices will become a lot easier over time.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

JJJ

43 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2020 :  11:56:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi
I want to update ma daily practise.For a long time ( about a year) I was doing only DM for 2x10 and 2 x 15 min and I was struggling with the proper position and I could not get into the witness state. I blamed that it is probably very long clunky stage but I dod not want to push forward with additional practises because i read somewhere that to go forward one should find some witness quality. Christi sometime ago wrote that with his experience most of practisioners build a practise too slow and I think I was a case. Anyway last october I started to add more practises and finally I got to my current routine which is 2x : 10 min asanas /5 min SPB / 20 min DM.Additonaly I do also 15 exerciese for anterior pelvic tilt ( some poses are like asanas). And a lot has changed. I was determined to fix my posiiton, I bought a lot of different cushions and back support pillows and I was trying many positions, hand mudras etc ( at the same time I was adding different practises). One day I gave up and go back to my old back support pillow and I don't know how but something clicked and I got to quite good posiiton about 2 months ago or so maybe and it stayed with me. I don't know if it is asans, SPB or longer DM and probably all together. Anyway now I can experience the practises and how they work togther. My every session is quite deep ( of course in comparison with my previous sessions) and I feel SPB, Kundalini, mantra and witness working together and "sucking" me deeper and my position is quite stable and relaxed. AT the same time I still loose the mantra a lot, I mean all the time and I noticed that it is some fear to loose control ( so I go back to thoughts about my daily responsibilities) but there is also some fear that mantra will suck me deep into unknown which is scary so I Kind of sabotage sticking with the mantra and go to the thought because of this fear. Of course I know what to do- go back to mantra- but maybe you guys have any other tip? I also have some questions about next step. I think to go with the SPB:
- should I first add more minutes ( 2 x10 min)or stick with 5 min and add enhancements first? or it does not matter?
- SPB enhancements - is it ok to skip full yogic breathing and add only exhale retention and sambavhi , -warm currents. I found out ( I just made short experiments with enhancements) that full yogic breathing is a little difficult for me than some other. I breath deeply anyway and it is even similar to full yogic breathing but I don't have to focus on it when I just deep breath naturally. Are the enhancements suppose to be added in the order as in the book SPB?
Thank you All for your help as always :)

Edited by - JJJ on Mar 20 2020 12:26:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4368 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2020 :  2:17:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi JJJ,

It sounds as if you are doing very well. I would say your next step would be to increase your spinal breathing pranayama time to 10 minutes. That would be in line with the lessons:

"Begin by doing this spinal breathing practice for five minutes before your regular meditations. We don't get up between pranayama and meditation. Just keep your seat, and begin meditation when your pranayama time is up. Take a minute or so before effortlessly beginning the mantra, just as originally instructed. Once you get comfortable in the routine of doing pranayama and meditation, one after the other, increase the time of pranayama to ten minutes. You will be doing ten minutes of pranayama and twenty minutes of meditation twice each day. Continue with this practice." [Yogani]

From lesson 41

When it comes to adding enhancements to spinal breathing, no practice in AYP is compulsory, so it is up to you which you choose to use and which to leave out. There is no need to add full yogic breathing if you do not want to.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2020 :  3:56:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Anyway now I can experience the practises and how they work togther. My every session is quite deep ( of course in comparison with my previous sessions) and I feel SPB, Kundalini, mantra and witness working together and "sucking" me deeper and my position is quite stable and relaxed. AT the same time I still loose the mantra a lot, I mean all the time and I noticed that it is some fear to loose control ( so I go back to thoughts about my daily responsibilities) but there is also some fear that mantra will suck me deep into unknown which is scary so I Kind of sabotage sticking with the mantra and go to the thought because of this fear. Of course I know what to do- go back to mantra- but maybe you guys have any other tip?

Do not fear, JJJ, simply acknowledge you are off the mantra and go back to it. It’s amazingly simple; no other tip is needed. When deep, you will not dissolve or disintegrate, “you” are there all along, and can “return” at will. I agree with Christi, things seem to be going well and stable.
Go to Top of Page

JJJ

43 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2020 :  3:22:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Christi, Dogboy. Thank you!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000