Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Meditation on the IAM (Iamness)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dancingquark

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2019 :  12:27:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Greetings,
Does anyone practice here meditating on the IAM or Iamness?
At least for me, it is very hard to concentrate on it. I did learn that the Iamness is not something you concentrate on by "finding it", but more of something you concentrate on by "feeling it".
Are there any hints/tips people can provide to help with this meditation? Any links on the internet that detail this meditation?

Update: Sorry I might have caused some confusion, but the Iamness meditation I am referring to is the one that Nisargatta Maharaj taught. He was specifically talking about isolating the Iamness from the body and staying put it in. Once the mind has been stabilized in that Iamness, it should disappear. I did read the AYP IAM meditation, but are these two similar? The AYP IAM meditation seems to place all the focus on the "IAM" mantra.

Thanks for any help,
DQ

Edited by - dancingquark on Feb 15 2019 7:45:34 PM

Dogboy

USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2019 :  05:57:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dancing quark, hello!

Here's a link that leads to all the details you seek: http://www.aypsite.org/13.html
Go to Top of Page

dancingquark

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2019 :  7:46:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Dogboy

Dancing quark, hello!

Here's a link that leads to all the details you seek: http://www.aypsite.org/13.html

Hi Dogboy, sorry I might have not been clear in the original post. I updated it to clarify what I meant. Thanks for your response

Edited by - dancingquark on Feb 16 2019 12:15:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2019 :  02:55:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi dancingquark, welcome!

Nisargadatta taught Self-Inquire, Advaita Vedanta or Non-Duality. Like you noticed already this is not easy as a stand alone practice. Most people need to begin with a daily practice to find abiding inner silence. Inner silence, or Witness will take us deeper inside. Only then becomes Self-inquire a useful practice. Reading the AYP lessons might give you some insights in your questions.

From lesson 321
There is only one condition that can save us from identification with the ups and downs of life. Only one condition that can save us from the struggles of the mind creating vast imagined landscapes of space and time within itself. That is the witness, our inherent inner silence, which can be cultivated easily in daily deep meditation. Then true understanding becomes possible for us, and we find ourselves able to move beyond suffering, and wondering who was ever suffering in the first place.

The power of the witness, combined with the clarity of an intelligent approach to self-inquiry is a paradox and a mystery. Yet, it is more real than all we see in our external world of thoughts, feelings, and perceptions of the body and surrounding environment. The witness and its relationship with self-inquiry are real because they can make a tangible difference in the quality of our life. And what a difference it is!

In upcoming lessons, we will delve deeper into the techniques of self-inquiry, particularly as they relate to prior cultivation of abiding inner silence, the witness, through deep meditation (see Lesson 13). We will find that there is a big difference between practicing self-inquiry with the witness (relational) versus practicing self-inquiry without the witness (non-relational). Like everything we do in AYP, we will take a practical approach, with a minimum of mumbo jumbo.

Sometimes self-inquiry, even when taught by great teachers, is like pushing on a string, or worse. We will explore why this happens, and how it can be resolved so we can benefit from any approach to self-inquiry, whether it be called jnana, advaita, non-duality, emptiness, mindfulness, etc. With an intelligent approach to self-inquiry, the mystery will gradually unwind, and we will find ourselves becoming one with the mystery itself. We will know it by the rising inner joy we are living, a luminous life without suffering, even when we happen to be experiencing pain. Freedom from suffering is the destiny of everyone. 'Yogani'

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000