Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Personal experience with pranayama and meditation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

leon101

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - May 06 2018 :  07:16:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello all, I have been reading this site for over a year and have tried various practices for some time and have been focusing on ayp more recently. I have two thoughts I wish to discuss.

1) The favouring of the mantra is something I'm having immense difficulty with. No matter how much I try, somehow it always aligns with the breath, eg repeating the mantra either on inhalation or exhalation and it is near impossible to separate the mantra from associating with the breath. If I try to, my attention becomes quite split in trying to regulate it this way which I suspect is not useful. I have wondered whether to just let it be eg repeat the mantra with each inhalation but this brings the additional focus on the breathing itself. Has anyone else encountered this difficulty?

2) Secondly, I have had a strange experience. This first occurred a year ago after a couple years of on and off pranayama and meditation and is occurring more strongly and frequently now. Essentially it's a very unusual sensation of pressure specifically in the right temporal lobe region. It almost always occurs in pranayama and I have noticed in meditation it only occurs when I'm very deep with the mantra. The moment I notice this sensation and focus on it, it goes away. When I focus again on keeping the mind pointed to the mantra it comes again. I can best describe it as a pressure sensation that sometimes feels like a worm is creeping around in my brain. It is definitely not uncomfortable but I was wondering if anyone else has had this experience as a mechanism of purification. I'm a medical doctor and am convinced this is not a hallucination as it occurs very specifically when the mind is as one pointed as possible for my level of success at this time. I have come to associate the effectiveness of my daily practice with whether or not this sensation arises. I have also noticed interestingly that when I'm very one pointed with my work or non spiritual study the sensation has also occured suggesting its something arising from a concentration of the mind.

Any thoughts are welcome! Many thanks for reading and contributing

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - May 06 2018 :  09:16:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Leon, welcome to AYP!
quote:
Originally posted by leon101

1) The favouring of the mantra is something I'm having immense difficulty with. No matter how much I try, somehow it always aligns with the breath, eg repeating the mantra either on inhalation or exhalation and it is near impossible to separate the mantra from associating with the breath. If I try to, my attention becomes quite split in trying to regulate it this way which I suspect is not useful. I have wondered whether to just let it be eg repeat the mantra with each inhalation but this brings the additional focus on the breathing itself. Has anyone else encountered this difficulty?

If we favor the mantra, eventually the breath will follow his own breathing path. The start of DM could be confronting. This is a stage which will pass sooner or later. What we do is every time we notice we are off the mantra or that we are aligning mantra and breath, divide ourselves or notice we are takin away in thought streams we go back to 'easily favoring' the mantra. Don't worry or strain, keep it as simple as possible.

quote:
2) Secondly, I have had a strange experience. This first occurred a year ago after a couple years of on and off pranayama and meditation and is occurring more strongly and frequently now. Essentially it's a very unusual sensation of pressure specifically in the right temporal lobe region. It almost always occurs in pranayama and I have noticed in meditation it only occurs when I'm very deep with the mantra. The moment I notice this sensation and focus on it, it goes away. When I focus again on keeping the mind pointed to the mantra it comes again. I can best describe it as a pressure sensation that sometimes feels like a worm is creeping around in my brain. It is definitely not uncomfortable but I was wondering if anyone else has had this experience as a mechanism of purification. I'm a medical doctor and am convinced this is not a hallucination as it occurs very specifically when the mind is as one pointed as possible for my level of success at this time. I have come to associate the effectiveness of my daily practice with whether or not this sensation arises. I have also noticed interestingly that when I'm very one pointed with my work or non spiritual study the sensation has also occured suggesting its something arising from a concentration of the mind.

The sensation you describe here, (my view on it) is prana, with spiritual practices we purificate and open the nadis and chakras. Prana cruising through the nadis could be felt as sensations like ants, worms, tingling, but it could also be felt like tension or pain if prana hits an obstruction. What is your daily practice?

Practicing daily and reading and re-reading the lessons will give you the insights you need in your experiences. You are welcome here in the forums to ask questions.

Best wishes,

Edited by - Charliedog on May 06 2018 09:44:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

leon101

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - May 06 2018 :  6:55:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Many thanks! Yes I also suspect it's prana moving due to the timing when it happens. My practice at this time is about 5 min pranayama and 15 min meditation. I am working on starting to include other practices also. I recently subscribed to ayp plus so I'm reading there.

I've read several Indian scriptures quite extensively before I came across ayp and given the attitude of Yogani and the availability of the forum I've decided this is likely an effective path worth pursuing. I am still doing my previous pranayama practice I learned through texts by yogananda and it is almost identical to Yoganis method but I have replaced my meditation with ayam meditation for several months now.

Edited by - leon101 on May 06 2018 8:13:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2195 Posts

Posted - May 06 2018 :  8:27:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Leon

Start slow, and proceed with curiosity, restraint, and discipline, especially with your additional pranayama. The main tenants to follow are easily retuning to the mantra and self pacing your practice on a daily basis. Head pressure is a common feature; it should feel as if you are wearing a hat. If it crosses into discomfort or unease, then dial back a bit of practice and observe further. Like food, it is better to digest smaller portions rather than binging at the buffet. Quite simple really!

AYP Plus is the best deal on the Internet, IMHO

edit:wording

Edited by - Dogboy on May 06 2018 8:28:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - May 06 2018 :  9:38:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum.

You said:
I have come to associate the effectiveness of my daily practice with whether or not this sensation arises. I have also noticed interestingly that when I'm very one pointed with my work or non spiritual study the sensation has also occured suggesting its something arising from a concentration of the mind.

Let not such sensations become the benchmark for your effectiveness in your practice. Rather how do you feel the rest of the day is what counts.
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - May 06 2018 :  10:07:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome, I've had worms coming out my nose.. Not in my brain. It's possible. I feel blood vessels filled throughout the top of my head. I. feel the blood move at times.
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - May 07 2018 :  02:10:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Quote Dogboy,
quote:
Like food, it is better to digest smaller portions rather than binging at the buffet. Quite simple really!

AYP Plus is the best deal on the Internet, IMHO

Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - May 08 2018 :  4:04:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the AYP forum Leon!
Good to have you here.

quote:
Originally posted by leon101
1) The favouring of the mantra is something I'm having immense difficulty with. No matter how much I try, somehow it always aligns with the breath, eg repeating the mantra either on inhalation or exhalation and it is near impossible to separate the mantra from associating with the breath. If I try to, my attention becomes quite split in trying to regulate it this way which I suspect is not useful.

You have made a good observation there, that trying to dissociate the breath and the mantra voluntarily is just going to interfere with your meditation. It's better to just let the breath be. Since the mantra is your meditation object, that is what you will favour with your attention. When you notice the breath follows the mantra, treat that as any other thought that arises in meditation. Let the thought be, and easily favour the mantra.

It's not a problem that the breadth wants to follow the mantra. It might do that for a while, then it might change. As long as you follow the procedure of easily picking up the mantra when you notice you are off it, your meditation will be working just fine.

Enjoy your practice
Go to Top of Page

leon101

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - May 09 2018 :  06:08:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks very much everyone! :)
Go to Top of Page

shuks

Singapore
4 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2018 :  04:24:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting to note Leon's original comments. I've been noticing the same two symptoms. Great to see the replies from all and the fact that those are "normal"...!!
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2018 :  3:23:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
They are normal in that they happen to a lot of people. As meditators we are not supposed to make them synchronize nor to prevent them from synchronizing. What we do is, if we notice synchronization or its lack, and hence are not aware of the mantra, we return gently and without any kind of force to the mantra. It's ok to return to it consciously unsynchronized, but we have to let it do what it will do. We only control when to return to it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000