AYPsite.org Forum
 Tantra - A Holistic View of Spiritual Development
 Igniting fire in belly
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

microcosm

102 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2018 :  08:50:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

I can sense something dense / disgusting in my belly. Intuition tells me fire would purify this blockage. Are there any practices to ignite fire in the belly?

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2018 :  7:43:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi microcosm,

Navi Kriya/ Kapalabhati/ Nauli/ Agni Sara/ Tummo
Go to Top of Page

microcosm

102 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2018 :  1:17:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, will try :)
Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2018 :  04:50:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You are welcome!
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2018 :  02:33:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Microcosm

In case you have not read the AYP lessons, you should know that the practices listed by Will Power are advanced. Is not safe for beginners, especially those who already experience energetic overload, to engage in them.

Since you describe yourself as a beginner in Vipassana, why not listen to what your teacher says for now?

When you are advanced, you will be in a better position to mix and match from different systems of practice.

Also, it is best to read the AYP lessons thoroughly before adopting AYP practices. Dabbling could land you into trouble.

Take care.
Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2018 :  06:28:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Blue Raincoat!

Regarding Kapalabhati, in 2013 I asked Christi in an AYP retreat about the differences between Kapalabhati and Bhastrika, and besides teaching me both, he told me that while Spinal Bhastrika entails much purification, Kapalabhati is not as strong (I don´t remember the exact wordings, but what I understood is that it is safe).

Microcosm, why don´t you try isometric core exercises?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXH2aDh8F3s

Edited by - Will Power on Apr 27 2018 06:28:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2018 :  08:51:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi guys,

Yes, kapalabhati is a fairly gentle practice when it comes to pranayama, although, as with all pranayama practices its effects have to be monitored. It is described in this lesson:

Lesson 316 - More Shatkarmas and Overall Guidelines

"Kapalbhati can be repeated for a series of 10-20 cycles of relaxed inhalation and sudden exhalation. Be careful not to overdo this practice. A good time to practice kapalbhati is after yoga asanas and right before twice-daily sitting practices, which includes spinal breathing pranayama and deep meditation.

The effect of kapalbhati is purification of the neurobiology in the upper body, and in the head in particular. Hence the phrases, shining forehead and luminous face. It can give the internal sensation of energy radiating, and sometimes the external appearance of radiance in the face.

The principles and effects of kapalabhati are also found in spinal bastrika pranayama, which is a more advanced and broad-based practice utilized in daily sitting practices in the AYP system. Spinal bastrika also provides additional benefits for purification of the entire spinal nerve..." [Yogani]

The reason that kapalabhati is less advanced that bastrika, is because of the relaxed inhalation used. If we breathe in or out in a forced way (like a bellows), it will move large amounts of prana either up through the body (on the inhale), or down through the body (on the exhale). So bastrika moves a lot of prana both up and down the body, whilst kapalabhati will only cause the prana to move downwards. Because the breathing with kapalabhati is very short and is at the nostrils, it has the effect of activating the ida and pingala nadis in the face, which in turn will illuminate the ajna chakra. Hence the name which means "forehead shining" or "skull shining".

Nauli, however, is a more advanced level practice, causing prana to move up the body from the belly. So caution should be taken when using this practice, especially if there are already ongoing symptoms of excessive purification happening.

When taking on pranayama practices, they should be taken on gradually, one at a time, monitoring the effects as we go. There should be plenty of time (several weeks at least) between taking on one practice and the next, to allow for adjustments that are made in the subtle neurobiology.

Christi

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000