parvati
Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2018 :  11:25:27 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
Explanation, reference Quiz 2

Quiz 2, question 1:
All you know about sweet taste is that it is cold and heavy. With that information explain how this taste balances Vata & Pitta, but not Kapha.

We intuitively know that fat provides warmth and insulation, and we've also recently covered fat as a body tissue. Vatas, with their insufficient fat, tend to be cold. Of course they also tend to be moving all the time, relative to most everything else (all that movement provides heat as it burns calories). Still... why does a COLD taste balance Vata? And if it is good for cold Vata, why isn't it good for cold Kapha?
_______

The answer is given here, because it helps illustrate how Ayurveda taps into and refines our internal wisdom.

In-depth reasoning:

Kapha IS cold and heavy. (So is ama by the way.) Sweet is a damp taste. If there is one thing Kaphas hates, it is cold damp weather. Sweet is also challenging to people who find it difficult losing weight. This is another reason it is good for Vata (and not Kapha) as Vatas do well to gain weight.

Pitta carries so much heat in their constitution that a cold damp heavy taste can only offer relief. And the other tastes that balance Pitta are cold as well, bitter and astringent. Bitter is often extremely cold. Thus follows a related question: Why does extremely cold bitter balance Kapha when Kaphas are already cold (most likely because they dislike moving their bodies)?

Here's why Sweet balances Vata and Pitta
Let's look at the other two tastes that balance Vata: Sour and Salty. Those are warming tastes. Not good for Pitta which is usually too warm to begin with. But they are good for Vata, precisely because Vata is a cold constitution. So when all the tastes are taken together, we can now see how they balance Vata. Vata desperately needs the HEAVY quality of Sweet and Pitta desperately needs the COLD quality.

Here's how Bitter balances Kapha
Okay. Let's look at the other anti-Kapha tastes. Together they are Bitter, Astringent and Pungent. Aha! Pungent is often an extremely hot taste. There are some weakly pungent tastes like Turmeric. But in general pungent is extremely hot. Think chili peppers. Pungent taste balances ONLY Kapha dosha because it is too drying for Vata (for long term use) and would be of no use whatsoever for Pitta. Recall that we have learned Bitter scrapes ama out of the tissues. Kaphas need that action because their constitutional qualities are exactly the same as ama. Astringent, while being a cool taste, is very helpful for weight loss as it usually possesses few calories.

Of the three doshas, Kaphas are usually the most healthy. In spite of their frequently abysmal, fattening, nutrient-deprived diets and lack of exercise. What's going on here? Well, they are very peaceful like a lake. They usually have a splendid stable attitude and adhere to their routines effortlessly. They are calm, cool and collected. They don't worry about much of anything because life is taken as they find it. They're not terribly judgmental and it's hard to anger them. They are often loving, compassionate and patient. They go with the flow as long as it doesn't require exercise. They are okay with the status quo, no matter how wretched it is. They usually have a neutral or positive attitude and are excellent at coping with any kind of setback or difficulty. Hmmmm.....maybe Vatas and Pittas could learn something from the average Kapha..

Things are not as they seem. We need to rely on our internal wisdom, not the conditioned 'intuition' endorsed by society. Fat is really really good for us, of course in moderation. For underweight Vatas, the shortest path to happiness is weight gain, followed by routine. Our society makes too much of being thin as a toothpick. Our abhorrence of fat is delusional. The majority of diseases have their origin in Vata, not Kapha dosha. Pittas can burn up Ojas through too much intensity and unregulated anger and/ or criticism. When our intuition becomes conditioned by a rather imbalanced society, then we must learn to uncondition it. That's what Ayurveda does. So we need to employ our intuition, but we must also be willing to refine it.

love
parvati

Edited by - parvati9 on Feb 09 2018 11:55:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2018 :  11:30:22 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by capucine

Thanks parvati9. I’m going to continue my inquiry with books and online. All you write here is very clear and really help me to understand Ayurveda.

Thank you Capucine
Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2018 :  11:34:09 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Charliedog

Quote Parvati9,
quote:
Abhyanga is for people whose lives are so in order that they don't mind making an oily mess

Abhyanga manual voor not oilymess:
Go to the bathroom, warm the oil
Big towel on the floor
Next to the towel place socks, old soft cotton t-shirt and legging or pants
Sit on towel with oil next to you,
Start with the feet, put on your socks
the rest will follow, massage into the heart direction
put on the clothes and wash your hands

Enjoy

Thanks Charliedog. While I probably won't be trying Abhyanga, others will. And maybe one day I will too.
Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2018 :  12:07:03 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by capucine

Hi parvati9,

I notice that in astrology, each astrological sign is related to an element (air, fire, water, earth – but not ether) like the doshas. I wonder if this sign and the ascendant can determine (or influence) the main dosha for basic constitution (Parakruti) and Vikruti ?

Or it is just a coincidence if the astrology sign and the main dosha for basic constitution are the same, and the ascendant sign is like the Vikruti dosha ? I noticed it for some people around me I know well and for me.

There are some Vedic astrologers with ability to ascertain constitution from the Rasi (natal) chart. Ascendant is regarded as the most important influence almost always ... for everything. In Western or tropical astrology, what is usually meant by the astrological sign is the sun sign. In Vedic astrology, the sun sign is not assigned much significance...yes some, but other influences are more pronounced.

You ask questions that go deep. In Vedic astrology there are Marakas, which are death dealing influences (planets). Those influences are likely to cause health issues (Vikruti) if not death. Also the 10th and 11th houses may indicate Vikruti tendencies, as the planets in 10th are strong (capable of overpowering the Ascendant) and the 11th is house of gain (where planets represent an increase in wealth as well as other increases).

My Vedic Mars is in the 11th house and is also double Maraka. This creates a strong Mars (hot) influence, Pitta. Saturn (cold dry planet) in 10th gives strong inclination toward Vata. My Ascendant is Libra which is Vata. So I have prominant Vata and Pitta. Pitta Mars causes most of my health issues (as double Maraka in 11th, that is hardly surprising).

love
parvati
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2018 :  12:09:29 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, that oiling up is the easiest part. Easier than changing diet or routine.
Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2018 :  12:18:54 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by findingpath

So, tissues create each other in order they were listed ? Something like, nutritions from digestion creates RASA, RASA creates BLOOD, BLOOD creates FLESH and FLESH creates FAT ? Or, do they relate to each other in a different way ?

BTW thanks for A+ mark :)

Essence of Rasa is required for building healthy blood. Sufficient Rasa, yes, but my intuition says it also needs to be good quality... in other words a high vibrational frequency. If the Rasa is not good quality to begin with, then by the time assimilation reaches the 7th tissue where Ojas is produced... it is likely to be flimsy. If we didn't start with good Rasa, then Ojas will probably not be so good quality either. More vulnerable. More likely to break down. You have the right idea.

love
parvati
Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2018 :  12:29:07 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Charliedog

Could we say (if we are healthy) that if we have no desire for food, poor appetite, that could be a natural sign to do a fasting periode?

Yes Charliedog, unless the person is Vata. In my opinion fasting is rarely appropriate for Vata. But Vatas are apt to forget to eat anyway. So there you go. Vatas also know when they need to eat. But by that time they are often so ravenous that they overeat. Bouncing between those extremes of undereating and overeating isn't really good for them, but that's what a lot of Vatas do.

There are other things we can do to stimulate appetite. Eating regular meals is very helpful because Agni responds best to anticipating meals. It cues Agni to get ready. Pittas have very good Agni, very good routine, and can get clearly upset when meals are delayed. Vatas and Kaphas don't care that much if meals are delayed, especially Vata who doesn't care much for eating anyway. Turmeric is an excellent digestive aid. There are other ways you can find from the Ayurvedic textbooks. Fasting gets a quick response, but sometimes we want to go more slowly in restoring appetite (especially for Vata as they can be oversensitive to very strong therapeutics).

love
parvati
Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2018 :  12:56:52 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Blanche

quote:
Originally posted by parvati9

"May it please the Lord,
Light of all things,
To show me the way,
So that I may paint light worthily"

love
parvati

Easy quiz because of good teaching. I'll not write it down - as I have a choice.

If skin feels oily after abhyanga, use an old towel to lightly wipe out any excess. I don't like abhyanga in summer, and like it in winter.

Indeed, it seems that ojas is very sensitive to any chemicals and extreme tastes. At a point, the body let me know that extreme tastes were unacceptable, and I had to give up on things like wasabi. I am not saying that we should ban certain tastes. I am saying that we should pay attention to our body and intuition.

Thank you for your teaching, Parvati!
love
Blanche

Good use of intuition regarding Wasabi. You give nice feedback Blanche, thank you. I really appreciate it

Ojas can be dissipated through any kind of bad choice, and also from an assault on our integrity and well-being. It tends to be more sensitive in Vata, less so in Pitta and Kapha.

love
parvati

Edited by - parvati9 on Feb 14 2018 7:10:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2018 :  12:59:17 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by lalow33

Oh, that oiling up is the easiest part. Easier than changing diet or routine.

Easy for you Lalow

love
parvati
Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2018 :  2:00:13 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
Synthesis

The first 4 tissues seem (imo) to make a foundation of sorts for the next 3, which are absolutely dependent on the preceding tissues. The next three tissues are more subtle and refined. Although that may be counter-intuitive because the next tissue in line for assimilation, and nutrient absorption, is Bone. How is it that Fat forms the basis for the building of Bone? I'll try to answer that question but it isn't easy to grasp.

1. First Rasa is produced from digested slush. That is the first part of our foundation for the entire assimilation process. Then,

2. Essence of Rasa is used to build Blood.
3. Essence of Blood is used to build Flesh.
4. Essence of Flesh is used to build Fat.

Stop right there. Let's consider Fat. Fat is the culmination of the tissue building process we've looked at so far. Without sufficient Fat, what are we going to get? How is assimilation to proceed (in Ayurvedic terms)? We'll get nada or close to it. Well then ... We might be at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to Ojas production, if not sooner in the assimilation process. So why does our society condemn fat? Remember Ayurveda is very old; it has nothing to do with modern society. Vatas and Pittas need to practically worship their fat, at the very least sincerely appreciate it's value. If you haven't got sufficient building materials, there goes your nice house (body).

Good quality nice Fat has everything we need for the remaining assimilation process. Bad quality, unhealthy, or deficient Fat won't be up to the job. That's it. Simple but perhaps hard to grasp the concept. As we have to cut through our societal conditioning in order to accept the idea. One can explain why Vata is responsible for most disease very simply: Insufficient Fat.

Flesh tissue function is plastering the skeleton and security. Ah security. Security is wonderful. But why does Flesh come before Bone? Using rational thought and intuition, one might think that Bone must precede that which plasters it. Consider this: What if Fat is required for the making of bone? What if Bone can't be made or is only weakly made if there isn't sufficient Fat for the process? So Flesh which is the plastering of the skeleton must wait for the skeleton it is supposed to plaster. Huh?

The function of Fat is lubrication and also commitment. Commitment to the assimilation process? Not just. Commitment to everything. Want to get married? Guess what, you'll need Fat, or enough Fat. So Fat seems to me to be the point of no return in the assimilation process. If we make it that far, we are likely to make it all the way to Ojas. That's just my opinion. But we need good quality Fat, not Fat laced with toxic ama.

love
parvati
Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2018 :  5:52:24 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
20. The final 3 tissues

5. Bone
6. Marrow
7. Shukra

Below where the phrase "essence of" appears, please substitute "healthy, well formed, properly nourished":

1. Digested food is used to build Rasa
2. Essence of Rasa is used to build Blood
3. Essence of Blood is used to build Flesh
4. Essence of Flesh is used to build Fat
5. Essence of Fat is used to build Bone
6. Essence of Bone is used to build Marrow
7. Essence of Marrow is used to build Shukra

5. BONE
"Though the previous four dhatus perfuse the whole organism they focus on its periphery... Bone marks a shift in emphasis, for now food begins to flow deeply into the organism's interior, and its center...The bones and joints are closely connected with the mind's ability to express itself, since proficiency of expression is a function of ability to move." (Svoboda p. 78) Function - support. Joints are probably accessory tissue (text unclear on that point). Waste products body hair, beard, and nails.

6. MARROW
"Marrow is anything that is entirely encased in bone, including the fatty yellow bone marrow, the blood-forming red bone marrow" and the nervous system. Blood is associated with both bone marrow and liver. It would appear that Blood tissue formation is at two stages in the assimilation process. Blood in the blood vessels - arteries, veins and capillaries - comes directly from Rasa. Whereas Blood here in the Marrow comes directly from Bone, and thus indicates a higher order of refinement.

At this stage the Nervous System tissue is formed, which has to be a delicate and complex procedure. Marrow is vitally important and I think much of the Ayurvedic information regarding this tissue has been lost or misconstrued over the years. Perhaps due to it's complexity.

If we are to properly understand Shukra, we must first understand Marrow. Admittedly I haven't researched the topic. Function of Marrow is filling of the bones. "When bone is well filled with Marrow it retains little empty space in which Vata can accumulate. On the mental plane healthy Marrow prevents emptiness of mind... Marrow is a pool of passive, easily available power." (Svoboda pp.78-9) There appear to be no accessory tissues and no waste products.

7. SHUKRA
"Properly nourished Marrow goes to nourish Shukra, which is the collective word for all secretions involved in reproduction. Shukra's functions are creation and creativity. It can be used for procreation or for the production of artistic or intellectual creations. Shukra's job is to act as a matrix through which new creations can manifest on our plane of existence... Shukra controls an individual's ability to make a mark on the slate of the world." (Svoboda pp.79-80)

When our personality is "able to join with Shukra calmly and collectedly, a new substance called Ojas is created. Properly tended Ojas will remain within the body, solidifying the link between our physical, mental, [emotional] and spiritual existences." (Svoboda p.80)

Ojas - what is it?
OJAS, from the Ayurvedic perspective, constitutes our Immune System ... and as such is arguably the most valuable aspect of our health and lives. It is the end-product of a complex intricate process of successive tissue building and refinement. Whatever we consume - physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually - contributes to the production of Ojas (or lack thereof).. and is qualitatively reflected in that Ojas. When we contaminate the organism/ spirit on any level, it will be reflected in the quality of Ojas. We directly impact every tissue and the refined end-product Ojas.. with every action, thought, feeling and spiritual inclination. (parvati, not Svoboda)

Information on tissues - presented in the last section and this one - almost exclusively obtained from Svoboda, either quoted or paraphrased. (Occasionally my personal opinion was expressed, hopefully indicated as such.) The following is my interpretation only, and therefore may not be as accurate as Svoboda. The textbooks recommended in section 8 are all excellent. When in doubt - check with the experts and the textbooks they have authored.

I don't think Ojas is identical with the sexual fluids per se, but rather the sexual fluids carry Ojas. Svoboda's explanation implies there is something mysterious going on here. Why does our personality need to "join with Shukra calmly and collectedly" - if Ojas is automatically generated via the sexual fluids? I don't know. Svoboda was well trained in Ayurveda; he's giving us a clue of sorts, but it's not clear (to me) what he's saying.

Conserving Ojas does not necessarily imply celibacy. However, for those pursuing a spiritual path, it has been recommended probably for thousands of years at least. So there are times celibacy is obviously appropriate. Paying careful attention to our digestion, cultivating pure Agni, and doing our best to balance the doshas is an excellent way to conserve Ojas...especially when combined with awareness to only expose ourselves to pure influences. One can also be sexually moderate and avoid indulgence. There are other conditions under which celibacy is appropriate (besides spiritual) - if one is sick, elderly, has no partner, no desire/ arousal, no interest in sex, not wanting children etc.

I think it is quite possible that Ojas is actually the electrical charge or electric potential which a healthy body carries or manifests. Like a carrier wave for our life force (prana) and perceptual acuity (tejas). Healthy people readily accumulate Ojas and rapidly restore it when the reserve is tapped. Healthy young people seem to have a surplus of Ojas. As we age, Ojas tends to weaken with the rest of the body. Then it ordinarily becomes more difficult to maintain our reserve or generate more.

Ojas is the real nitty gritty of Ayurveda. For when it is deficient or of poor quality, there is no way we can have perfect health. And with good quality and sufficient Ojas, all things are possible healthwise. Ayurveda is about commmon sense, about finding our place in the world, and once we do - we need to be very clear about protecting and defending our stance. There are many predators on all levels who would steal our Ojas if we let them. Protect your Ojas! It is hard won and you owe it to yourself to guard it with the utmost diligence.

This concludes our study of Ojas and sequential tissue formation, sections 18-20.

love
parvati

Edited by - parvati9 on Feb 09 2018 11:45:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2018 :  1:03:55 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
Note to the readers

The last two or three sections, and commentary inbetween, were challenging for me. The material isn't easy to comprehend, nor easy to explain (imo). It's good to get an overview... details not so much.

It is a concern here that instruction wasn't clear because the information isn't understood well enough for a coherent (let alone simplified) presentation. If you have any questions, comments, suggestions .. I would be happy to address them to the best of my ability.

Arguably the creation of Ojas is at the very heart of Ayurveda. While it may not be the deepest layer, it is not far from it. I hope coverage of the material was adequate, but am concerned that it was not. If you want to really learn something, teach it

As there has been no further inquiry, beyond what was previously addressed, we will move on.

21. The 3 Gunas

SATTVA -- love, clarity, purity, balance, equilibrium

RAJAS -- action especially over-activity, agitation, turbulence

TAMAS -- lethargy, confusion, contamination

Our consciousness and the patterns of our daily lives fluctuate according to the Gunas. Ramana Maharshi has indicated that we progress in our spiritual pursuits through making the most of Sattvic periods. It is difficult to have clear perception and understanding during the overactive Rajasic and confused Tamasic states.

In Ayurveda we do our best to develop consistency throughout whatever Guna we are presently influenced by. However during a Tamasic state, we may forget what we know, neglect or be confused about the course of our lives and spirituality. During a Rajasic state, over-activity may engulf our lives to the point where we feel too stressed to think of anything but surviving and getting the job done. That, one may suppose, is why people engage in spiritual practices ... to encourage consistency, a solid rhythm, and quiet mind which is not easily put off course by Rajas and Tamas.

Ayurveda is a Sattvic enterprise and teaches us to cultivate Sattva in all ways at all times.

love
parvati

Edited by - parvati9 on Feb 09 2018 1:10:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2018 :  1:50:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Parvati
Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2018 :  5:20:59 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Charliedog
Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2018 :  6:20:13 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
22. An example of balancing dual-dosha

We've been engaging in a lot of generalization...Getting a feel for each of the doshas. We've been considering the doshas as separate forces because it is important to be fairly clear regarding what each of the doshas represent. In Ayurveda we learn to respect the doshas for the misery they are apt to cause when aggravated. The doshas are easy to imbalance. If you know what you're doing, they are also easy to balance. The more we pay attention to their potential for imbalance, the easier it will be to rectify an out-of-balance situation.

Each dosha has a set of characteristics and tendencies. These characteristics have positive as well as negative attributes. While the positives are lovely, we mostly ignore those and focus on the negatives. The negatives are so potentially debilitating that we are obliged to make peace with them. We offset the negatives with their opposites. This is how we balance the doshas and make peace with them. By introducing the opposing force or tendency.

Balancing Dual Doshas, which most people are (according to Svoboda), is obviously more difficult than balancing single doshas. So we will now look at shared characteristics between the three Dual Doshas.

Vata and Pitta are both LIGHT

Vata and Kapha are both COLD

Pitta and Kapha are both OILY

Vata-Pitta and Pitta-Vata
Vatas and Pittas can both be oversensitive due to that shared LIGHT characteristic. A Vata-Pitta or Pitta-Vata may be prone to allergy and other types of hypersensitivity. But their constitutions will be harder to balance than pure Vata or Pure Pitta. For example... Sour and Salty while good for Vata, will tend to aggravate Pitta. Bitter and Astringent, while good for Pitta will tend to imbalance Vata. Sweet taste however will pacify both doshas.

Vata hates routine, whereas Pitta is pretty good at routine. Vata should learn to follow Pittas's lead in that regard. In many areas of life there will need to be intelligent compromise between the two prominent doshas.

Problem/ Example: Pitta-Vata
In this problem, Pitta may need to defer to Vata for an effective solution. Vatas are creative, flexible, and quite good at thinking outside the box. Let your Vata nature help with this dilema. Pittas can become attached to their routines and when health issues strike, they may be at a loss how to improvise.

You have Pitta-Vata constitution. It is Winter and you are all the time cold. This means Vata is already aggravated, but it hasn't become a horrendous issue yet. Your nice Kapha neighbor, who happens to be a good friend, has invited you over for homemade Chili. While enjoying the conversation, you find the chili peppers way too hot and the chili burns your mouth; by the end of the meal your mouth is nearly in pain. Nevertheless it otherwise tastes wonderful, warms you up and most of your body is comfortable. You haven't yet learned that your Pitta may hate you for eating those too-hot chili peppers and will find a way to exact revenge.

The next morning you notice a rash on your face which by afternoon has become a mild case of eczema. How can you calm Pitta without offending Vata?

I call it the principle of compensation. You are extra nice to the less aggravated dosha, while you focus primarily on pacifying the inflamed one. In this case you are extra nice to Vata while mainly pacifying Pitta. Since consuming your friend's hot chili pepper meal you feel great, except for the eczema. While you are no longer uncomfortably cold, you WERE in the recent past, and it wasn't very pleasant.

Sweet taste will not make you warm, but it will balance both Vata and Pitta. So as not to aggravate Pitta further, you will need to temporarily avoid Salty, Sour and Pungent as much as possible. You turn up the heat a little (for Vata) and layer your clothing for warmth as you are forced to deal with the Pitta aggravation (so you can easily keep your body at a perfect temperature - warm enough for Vata but not too warm).

You go on a fruit juice fast (for both doshas) and also take some bitter herb (like Golden Seal) for a couple days (bitter for Pitta). You also ensure Vata is happy by taking a warm shower every night before retiring and go to bed a little earlier than usual.

While it is mainly Pitta you are balancing, you want to avoid aggravating Vata in the process. So you proactively take measures to keep Vata happy and balanced. You are compensating so as to avoid aggravating Vata as well as Pitta. If Vata also becomes aggravated, stop taking the bitter herb (Vata is aggravated by too much bitter. Golden Seal is a strong bitter, but not as strong as Neem imo.) You may have to go on a Sweet only diet, or continue the fruit juice fast.

Balancing dual doshas is a little challenging. The good news is that when we are proficient with applying Ayurvedic principles, we recognize the body's warning signs sooner, and deal with the potential imbalance before it has a chance to manifest. In the above example, the person would have been wise to say to their neighbor - "I'm sorry, the chili is delicious, but the chili peppers are too hot and I can't eat it." You have a choice: Offend your Kapha friend (it's kind of hard to offend most Kaphas) or pay the price with aggravated Pitta.

love
parvati

Edited by - parvati9 on Feb 10 2018 09:56:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2018 :  6:46:57 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
Wonderful Parvati, Please keep it up! I answered the quiz only mentally since I was lacking time.

I guess I have to eat a ton of avocado, potatoes and sweet pears to put some weight. So can vata pitta take lemon juice with honey?
How to create ojas?

My skin is very oily, so I guess no oil massages for me.

With gratitude
Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2018 :  7:23:33 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Will Power

Wonderful Parvati, Please keep it up! I answered the quiz only mentally since I was lacking time.

I guess I have to eat a ton of avocado, potatoes and sweet pears to put some weight. So can vata pitta take lemon juice with honey?
How to create ojas?

My skin is very oily, so I guess no oil massages for me.

With gratitude

Thank you Will Power

I eat a lot of potatoes and can't gain weight. Potatoes are astringent, which doesn't balance Vata or help gain weight. Astringent however nicely pacifies Pitta. Sweet pears will help put on weight eventually maybe. I eat a lot of pears too and don't gain weight. In my youth, I had very oily skin and hair. The fact that as a senior, both are now dry is irrelevant. My skin does not like to be oiled.

How to put on weight - everything that people on a diet avoid: pie, cake, cookies, cheese cake ... if you like cheese cake and can afford it, eat a whole one. It will make your Vata very happy. More dairy. I could easily eat two whole cheesecakes in one sitting, but unfortunately too expensive for me. I eat lots of avocado and it hasn't helped to gain weight either, but maybe it helped keep the weight.

Lemon juice with honey sounds okay. Avoid cooked honey however. The textbooks say sleeping a lot will make you gain weight. I tried that too and it didn't work. The only thing I've found that helps me gain weight is cheese cake. And in the summer I eat tons of ice cream too. After an entire summer of ice cream, I maybe gained 2 whole pounds. Big whoop.

If you gain weight great. But be happy if you can keep from losing it.

love
parvati
Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2018 :  06:06:09 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks a lot Parvati! I really like sweet food such as pears, honey and datils, but not really like artificial sweets such as cookies, pies or things with artificial sugar. Isn't artificial sugar to be avoided due to increase of inflammation? Perhaps lots of Greek yogurt with honey will help.

Can I add ginger Or turmeric to water without boiling it? I buy it grinded.
Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2018 :  09:38:35 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
Will Power

Ginger and turmeric are both excellent digestive aids - but you may want to keep vigilant regarding Pitta aggravation. Turmeric is a weak pungent, ginger stronger. Keep in mind that Vata and Pitta can't tolerate too much pungent. As far as I recall, you should be okay with boiling ginger or turmeric.

Vata-Pitta and Pitta-Vata dual doshas must, by default, eat a lot of sweet. (The highest quality sweet they can afford is best). The obvious reason being that sweet taste balances both these doshas. When there is underweight, pay more attention to pacifying Vata and discovering all the fattening food you enjoy.

If one is serious about weight gain, the bottom line is to eat fattening food. As much as we may love fruit, fruit is not fattening (unless sugar has been added).

Yogurt is good as long as it's the full fat kind.

My favorite sweetener is Agave syrup, however it is expensive. So I usually buy some kind of Coconut derived sweetener. Bottled juice is pasteurized - so any honey in bottled juice is cooked. Ayurveda advises against cooked honey. Other types of high quality sweeteners include Rice Syrup, Barley Malt, and Date Sugar. Sugar that is marked Organic is good too, like Organic Cane Sugar.

Buttered bread or toast with jam is a good dessert substitute.

love
parvati

Edited by - parvati9 on Feb 10 2018 6:35:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2018 :  12:13:36 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply

It was about 40 years ago that I read "Confessions of a Medical Heretic" by Robert Mendelsohn. If memory serves, he referred to conventional allopathic methodology as sledgehammer medicine. As I'm ultra-sensitive, it made sense to me, and I much prefer a gentler more effective approach.

I've been relying on natural healing methods for relief of uncomfortable and/or painful symptoms. There is no interest in superficial treatments that don't address the underlying cause. It wasn't my intent to become a natural healer ... but Sledgehammer medicine doesn't work well for me.

Consequently I have learned to rely on any natural modality that works. Yes I do use Ayurveda, but I use it in conjunction with other natural healing modalities. Especially Homeopathy. I also use some Macrobiotics. The Macrobiotic ginger compress is incomparable for the relief of some forms of deep-seated pain in the body. And Miso soup is wonderful for pacifying Vata.

Homeopathy is one of a number of vibrational healing modalities. The following book is at least tied with the best book I've ever read, and I'm an avid reader/ researcher. It's pure gold.

The book is:

Vibrational Medicine: The #1 Handbook of Subtle-Energy Therapies by Richard Gerber, M.D.

Anything by Dr. Richard Gerber is worth a read. Just make sure it's the right Richard Gerber as it's a common name for doctors.

Edited by - parvati9 on Feb 10 2018 6:42:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2018 :  12:29:46 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
Corn
Corn grown in the U.S. today is about 90% GMO, genetically modified. Undoubtedly less in Europe although there is a push to get it grown in Europe too. It is to be avoided. That includes anything that is a corn derivative as well, like high fructose corn syrup and corn starch that is not clearly marked non-GMO or Organic. In the U.S., at this point, if it says Organic, it can't be genetically modified. And health food products have been displaying the non-GMO seal, but it used to be against the law to do so. I don't know if the law has been changed or it is just not always enforced. Due diligence thru research indicates that GMO is not safe (my opinion).

love
parvati
Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2018 :  12:55:55 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
Pacific Ocean Fish
Exercise caution. Having been vegetarian most of my life, I started eating fish about 20 years ago because of the strength required to lift my father, whom I cared for in the last years of his life. I like fish and think it is good for me. Thorough research has revealed that Pacific Ocean fish is no longer safe to eat.

If you want to feed yourself and/or your family wild caught or farmed fish from the Pacific Ocean, it is strongly advised that you do the online research prior to consuming it... or before consuming more of it. Pacific Ocean fish made me sick for over a year and I no longer eat fish unless it is clearly wild caught in Atlantic Ocean waters. Europeans may have much better quality fish; I'm not aware of any issues of unsafe fish except in the Pacific Ocean.

love
parvati

Edited by - parvati9 on Feb 10 2018 6:27:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2018 :  6:05:23 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
QUIZ 3

Sections 16-22 (mostly). Hope you enjoy the quiz.

Fill in the blank or explain:

1. Bitter ____________ ama from the tissues (what effect does bitter have on ama?)

2. Pungent ____________ ama (what effect does pungent have on ama?)

3. When using bitter herbs, we must take care to avoid aggravating ___________ dosha

4. When using pungent taste, we must take care to avoid aggravating ___________ dosha especially and also __________ dosha

5. ____________ tissue directly precedes Bone in tissue sequence

6. Ojas is made from ____________ tissue

7. ____________ dosha is likely to have the least sleep issues (amount of sleep)

8. ____________ quality of Sweet balances Vata

9. ____________ quality of Sweet balances Pitta

10. What is Ojas? Briefly explain the tissue succession which results in Ojas

11. What are the characteristics of Tamas?

12. ___________ taste only balances Kapha (not Vata or Pitta)

13. ___________ taste only balances Vata (not Pitta or Kapha)

love
parvati

Edited by - parvati9 on Feb 11 2018 08:38:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2018 :  09:44:07 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
REVIEW and SYNTHESIS
Segment 3, sections 16-22

In Ayurveda all disease is the result of ama. Ama is the product of incomplete digestion. The best way to prevent disease is to prevent ama formation in the first place. So we engage proactive measures to ensure that ama is not created. In the initial phase of protecting our health, there are mainly three ways to declare war on ama. The first and most important way - because it is preventive - is to keep Agni pure, strong, and blazing bright. Agni is the digestive fire. Agni burns up ama before it can take root in the tissues, through ensuring complete efficient digestion i.e., perfect digestion. Perfect digestion is the key to Ayurvedic health.

However once it has taken root in the tissues, the two tastes that extract and destroy ama are BITTER and PUNGENT. Through the use of these two tastes, ama is annihilated. Once it is eliminated from the tissues, it can no longer obstruct the manifestation of perfect health. These two tastes, therefore, comprise the second and third ways to battle ama. (Ayurveda has elaborate and sophisticated means of aiding in the battle against ama which we may not go into; these techniques are called Pancha Karma.)

Ojas is our immunity. In addition to the elimination of ama, we need high quality Ojas in order to prevent disease. We might say that the two Ayurvedic principles of Agni and Ojas work together in tandem to maintain or restore perfect health. Agni's purpose is not only to ensure complete digestion, it is to begin the process of tissue formation whose very refined end product is Ojas.

According to Ayurveda, tissue formation in the body proceeds sequentially. There is a process of succession as each healthy, well formed, properly nourished tissue provides a basis for the next tissue in line. The order of tissue formation is: Rasa, Blood, Flesh, Fat, Bone, Marrow, Shukra. It is at the final stage of Shukra that Ojas is formed from the sexual fluids.

We achieve perfect health and stay healthy through keeping our doshas balanced. Learning to balance the doshas is a layered process, one that becomes increasingly more subtle as it progresses to the deeper levels. Our immunity to disease is located at a very deep level in Ayurveda. We become familiarized with the concept of Ojas, as well as the precise and complex process of assimilation through which it is created.

When we are first acquainted with this process, it is almost impossible to grasp the full extent of the work our bodies accomplish to ensure immunity in a healthy body. As it eventually sinks in .... what a miracle our body is and what a miracle this existence is, we are humbled in gratitude. We express our gratitude for that which is bestowed upon us by the divine... through taking the appropriate measures to ensure the body's efficient functioning. And thus the very foundation of our happiness. If we intend to maintain that happiness, we must learn to protect and defend Ojas, our precious vital reserve.

As we perceive the complexity, intricacy and extreme refinement of the process through which Ojas is created, we begin to understand the true value of making the effort to preserve perfect health. We gradually recover memories and experiences that are holding us back, blocking us on unconscious levels. Ayurveda triggers our internal wisdom to over-ride false conditioning to protect Ojas as the very core of our health, vitality and well-being.

Modern civilization has encouraged in us an inaccurate view of health according to Ayurveda. Consequently we have been conditioned to a distorted perspective which is unhelpful in the pursuit of Ayurvedically perfect health. Fat is not the enemy. Rather the enemy is more in the nature of insufficient digestion, insufficient nutrients, poor quality nutrients, and insufficient fat. We need to rely on our intuition for the restoring of perfect health, but we must also be willing to refine that intuition in terms of Ayurvedic principles. In other words, we are in the process of unconditioning ourselves from erroneous assumptions.

We first learn what each dosha represents before considering them in combination. We develop a firm foundation and then build on that foundation level by level. In order to learn about each of the doshas separately, we engage in generalizations which can later be employed in more complex considerations. As we deal with the doshas in isolation, we are attempting to nail them down in our understanding.

There is nothing like the doshas in any other system of natural healing. It takes quite a while of familiarizing oursevles with the characteristics and attributes of each dosha separately, before we can even think of becoming adept at dealing with them in combination. In this simplified intensified tutorial ... we have finally reached the point where we can address dual-dosha constitutions with confidence. According to Svoboda, most people have dual-dosha constitutions. We have seen one example of balancing dual-dosha, wherein the principle of compensation is employed. That is my terminology, however it is derived from an understanding of Ayurvedic principles covered in the textbooks.

love
parvati

Edited by - parvati9 on Feb 11 2018 8:45:45 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000