Ayurveda simplified
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2018 :  02:33:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
I did make the quiz, but not publish it....I did well because of your clarity
Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2018 :  10:37:10 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the feedback Charliedog, much appreciated.

love
parvati
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2018 :  11:04:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
15. Age and Time

quote:
Age - approximately (didn't look it up)
0-30 ...... KAPHA.....Youth
30-55 ..... PITTA.....Middle Age
55+ ....... VATA......Old Age

Hi Parvati,

I heard from 2 different Ayurvedics the same conclusion that my constitution is PITTA/VATA. Knowing a little bit more, I believe this is correct Do you mean when we age we become all more VATA ?
Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2018 :  11:46:00 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
2nd SEGMENT
Summary, Clarification and Synthesis

In the first segment we became acquainted with fundamental Ayurvedic principles and general terminology. Our goal in the first segment was to create a firm foundation on which to build. For perfect health we need to know all the various ways in which the doshas are balanced or pacified.

In the second segment we are beginning to learn how to skilfully balance and pacify the doshas. We started out slow in segment one. Now we are tackling slightly deeper layers, slightly more complex information, and picking up the pace a bit.

We know what tastes pacify each dosha. We know about warm and cool tastes. We know generally what lifestyles balance each dosha. We have learned that there are 5 (not 3) elements. Vata is both air and ether (ether, being difficult to contain, resists grounding even more than air, both elements being difficult to ground). Pitta is fire only. Kapha is both water and earth, and earth is so grounding that Kaphas generally practice economy of movement to the extreme.

We know the Fire dosha is often made uncomfortable by heat. Whereas Vata and Kapha are made uncomfortable by cold. This means that Pittas must take care to stay cool if they want to pacify their primary dosha. While Vatas and Kaphas must usually take care to stay warm if they want to pacify their primary doshas.

Knowledge of the doshic quality of age and time is helpful in achieving balance and harmony in the daily life. Vata characterizes old age. Vatas who are seniors, have a double Vata influence to balance. Pittas who are in middle age, have a double Pitta influence to balance, and in Summer therefore have a triple Pitta influence. Kaphas who are chubby children may not outgrow the tendency to be overweight (unless they exercise sufficiently), but Vatas and Pittas probably will.

Digestion and Agni are strongest at the Pitta time of day 10 - 2. It is a very good idea to have our heaviest largest meal at that time of day. All the doshas do best to retire by 10pm. For Vatas it is essential. If one is aware that Vata is out of balance, it is advisable to get to bed by 8:30 or 9pm. Getting plenty of rest and avoiding exhaustion is essential for pacifying Vata. Pittas need to stay cool, calm and less intense. The most difficult time of day for Pittas is 10 - 2, when the Sun provides more warmth. It's the time when Pittas need to be vigilant in guarding against out of control anger. Kaphas mainly need to guard against oversleeping and they also need to force themselves to exercise.

The goal of Ayurveda is perfect health. We do not suppress symptoms. We integrate discomfort by keeping Agni pure and strong and pacifying the doshas. Please do not try to suppress unpleasant memories or unpleasant experiences. Vatas and Pittas should generally not force anything. Kaphas need to apply force to get moving and motivated. Focus attention on balancing the doshas to achieve peace, happiness and excellent health.

We have reached the point where serious students would do well to acquire an Ayurvedic textbook. We need to know which tastes are predominant in which food. The textbooks supply that information. However, after a while, you will know intuitively which tastes predominate in the food you consume. The quality of our food is important too, and should be the best we can afford. We also need to be prudent about the influences to which we expose ourselves, with full knowledge that corrupt influences have a powerful effect on upsetting the doshas, especially Vata and Pitta.

love
parvati
Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2018 :  11:53:56 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Charliedog

15. Age and Time

quote:
Age - approximately (didn't look it up)
0-30 ...... KAPHA.....Youth
30-55 ..... PITTA.....Middle Age
55+ ....... VATA......Old Age

Hi Parvati,

I heard from 2 different Ayurvedics the same conclusion that my constitution is PITTA/VATA. Knowing a little bit more, I believe this is correct Do you mean when we age we become all more VATA ?

Well yes, that is more or less correct. It would perhaps be more accurate to say that whatever percentage of Vata dosha in our constitution will be more stressed in old age.

I've been professionally evaluated as Vata only dosha. I don't agree with that evaluation, but don't discount it either. Usually I try to identify with being Vata, because the professional said I was. However I do believe my true type is actually Pitta-Vata, close to equal percentages of each.

love
parvati
Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2018 :  09:00:45 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
QUIZ 2

1. All you know about sweet taste is that it is cold and heavy. With that information, explain how this taste balances Vata and Pitta, but not Kapha.

2. At what time during the sleep cycle might people with aggravated Vata dosha be inclined to awaken?

3. Explain how Vata and Kapha are opposite and how they balance each other. Give two examples.

4. Which emotion must Pittas keep under control? Give one example of pacifying Pitta dosha.

5. What are the 5 elements and how do they relate to the doshas?

6. What time of day is probably most difficult for Kaphas and why?

7. Why would we want to use 1/2 points in answering constitution questions?

8. When we become adept at balancing doshas, why would we tend to become more aware of unconscious processes in ourselves?

This is a moderately difficult quiz. You may have to think before responding to some of the questions. It would be helpful to first record answers to all questions on a sheet of paper. Then check for accuracy by rereading the applicable sections.

love
parvati
Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2018 :  10:45:13 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
"May it please the Lord,
Light of all things,
To show me the way,
So that I may paint light worthily"

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The above prayer from the depth's of his heart was supposedly found on a scrap of paper in Leonardo DaVinci's room. That inspiring quote was first encountered in Robert Wade's Watercolor Workshop Handbook, a book obtained through interlibrary loan several years ago (2010). It is being shared here because of the divine passion and grace imbued therein. And because I find it relevant to the study of Ayurveda. Ayurveda is a gift for which we should be humbly grateful. And we should seek the Divine's blessing/ guidance in our pursuit and practice of it.

This quote has meant more, affected me more, awed me more than anything else encountered in this life... not just in terms of painting, but in terms of divine presence. It is probably the most beautiful and uplifting statement I have ever come across in my fairly long life ... and that such a great artist would be so humble in his supplication to the divine brings tears to my eyes every time it is contemplated.

You can substitute any verb for paint. For example:

"May it please the Lord,
Light of all things,
To show me the way,
So that I may live the light worthily"

"May it please the Lord,
Light of all things,
To show me the way,
So that I may be the light worthily"

"May it please the Lord,
Light of all things,
To show me the way,
So that I may create light worthily"

"May it please the Lord,
Light of all things,
To show me the way,
So that I may practice Ayurveda worthily"

love
parvati

Edited by - parvati9 on Feb 04 2018 10:52:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2018 :  1:51:27 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
16. Tastes that cure disease

Okay. We rapidly progressed through Ayurvedic grades K-2. It would of course be helpful to receive feedback regarding the 2nd Segment (sections 9-15). Keeping up? Lost interest? Confused? Before the instructor loses interest w/the thread, curative tastes need to be (at least) briefly covered. We have achieved the topic goal that was set (by the instructor). Everything from this point on is a bonus.

These two tastes are significant b/c they are vitally necessary in combating all stages of the disease process. The two tastes are BITTER and PUNGENT.

BITTER .......Scrapes ama from the tissues

PUNGENT ....Destroys ama

Using bitter taste and herbs
Recall that bitter pacifies Pitta (as well as Kapha). Pitta is the dosha that governs digestion and is strongly related to the digestive fire Agni. Bitter helps rekindle digestive fire but powerfully aggravates - and can severely weaken - Vata dosha. The main precaution in using bitter taste and bitter herbs is to avoid imbalancing Vata as much as possible. So we compensate. The principle of compensation is important. Sometimes, when the body is in a weakened condition, it must be strengthened before the administration of bitter herbs is allowed/ recommended.

Ayurveda often recommends oiling the body to pacify Vata. When we require the administration of bitter herbs, we can take extra precaution to always remain sufficiently warm, spend time lying in the sun if seasonally appropriate, ensure getting to bed early, ensure 8-12 hours sleep or more as needed, ensure regular hot meals, regulate and cut way back on all activities except those that involve sitting quietly or lying down ... in other words take extra measures to pacify the movement dosha with minimizing movement, maximizing rest and routine, as well as encouraging discipline, good judgment and a pragmatic approach. The best seasons to use bitter herbs are Spring and Summer. But sometimes we find it necessary to use them in the Fall and Winter as well.

Using pungent taste and herbs
With the utilization of pungent taste and pungent herbs our concern is to avoid imbalancing Pitta dosha. We must be careful to watch for signs of Pitta aggravation such as impatience, overly controlling behavior, fever which seems too high, burning, itching and eruptions in the skin, etc. Pungent can also imbalance Vata dosha, but may take longer for the symptoms to manifest (than aggravated Pitta).

Pungent taste is always, or almost always, required to effectively eliminate ama from the body tissues. However, in the administration of strong pungent herbs and food, chili peppers or garlic etc, be careful of aggravating Pitta. Use weaker pungent taste such as turmeric if Pitta shows signs of aggravation. Proceed slowly. Keep the body cool, the outlook positive and peaceful. If it helps use Sandalwood incense.

love
parvati

Edited by - parvati9 on Feb 04 2018 2:03:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2018 :  09:18:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
I need time to digest the Ayurvedic information Parvati, not so much time available at the moment....
Go to Top of Page

capucine

France
66 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2018 :  08:41:11 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes, I like to drink a dandelion roots tea, it’s bitter. I drink it because it’s good for the health of the liver. You write bitter can umbalance Vata dosha: maybe it’s better I stop to drink it ?

I drink every day nettles leaves tea : what is the taste and effect of nettles in Ayurveda ?

I don’t well understand “Ayurveda often recommends oiling the body to pacify Vata”: oiling the body ? how do you do that ?
Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2018 :  11:09:42 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the note Charliedog

Capucine
Because of unwanted weight loss in Summer, there is Vata issue that should be addressed. Consult Frawley/ Lad book for herbal information or go online. I cannot give good advice without knowing more about your lifestyle and constitution.

Do you work in a room that is too cold or drafty (air conditioning too cold)? Do children keep you awake at night? Are you exercising too much in the hot weather? Summer is when Pitta would ordinarily receive most benefit from bitter tonic. Are you losing weight in other seasons besides Summer? Perhaps not enough sweet, too much bitter and astringent, too much exercise and activity, staying up late, not getting enough rest, not drinking enough water, not eating regular meals or not eating enough, a problem is causing anxiety ...?

Nettles is astringent and later pungent, has cooling energy.
Dandelion is bitter, sweet and later pungent, has cooling energy.
Both these herbs can aggravate Vata but are excellent for Pitta.

Are you drinking nettles tea in the Summer too? If you feel the need to do so, maybe add plenty of sweetener.

Can you research online about oiling the body? Abhyanga is warm oil massage. Do you like applying oil to the body? It is unpleasant for me, so haven't learned much about it.

love
parvati

Edited by - parvati9 on Feb 06 2018 2:42:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

capucine

France
66 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2018 :  02:34:07 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks parvati9. I’m going to continue my inquiry with books and online. All you write here is very clear and really help me to understand Ayurveda.
Go to Top of Page

findingpath

8 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2018 :  08:20:01 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
Parvati, thank you very much for this awesome thread. It's great to read about Ayurveda in this simplified but intensive way. I have read about Ayurveda and traditional Chinese medicine in the past but information was very complex and explanation unclear to me. Maybe it wasn't the right time, maybe I wasn't prepared. But now, your explanation is very clear and motivates me to learn more about Ayurveda.

I also take quiz 2, here are the answers:
1.It is because cold and heavy nature of sweet taste is opposite or complementary to the nature of Pita and Vata. Vatas need more rest and stability. They are like wind. Cold and heavy nature of sweet taste pulls down and grounds lightweight energy of Vata. Water is also cold and heavy and air (vata) without water is dry and it is not very pleasant. Pita is in similar situation. Fire (Pita) has strong up warding energy and need to be calmer so cold and heavy nature of sweet taste gives a relief.

2. I don't know perhaps from 2am to 6am when VATA dosha is the most active?

3. Vata is very light and it's always moving like air while Kapha is heavy and still like water. Vata motivates us to move and act spontaneously but without Kapha we would end up exhausted because Kapha enables good rest. With too many spontaneous actions without any order we would end up in chaos but Kapha brings clear routine. Kapha without Vata would be very slow and stagnant, trapped in never changing routine.

4. Pittas have to keep anger under control. Pita dosha could be pacified by using energy from anger to finding practical solution.

5. Air, Ether - VATA
Fire - PITTA
Water, Earth - KAPHA

6. For Kaphas it's from 6am to 10am. It's because Kaphas is having a hard time when they have to get up from a bed and start to move. And it's also because in this time Kapha dosha is the most active and any imbalances in Kapha dosha are stronger.

7. Because many people are dual dosha type. Two of three answers are correct in some questions.

8. When we are learning how to balance doshas we are deepening the feeling of ourselves, our body and mind so we are also more sensitive to everything which is hidden in unconscious. Also balanced doshas enable self-healing and for self-healing is necessary to heal our suppressed traumatic memories.
Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2018 :  09:32:10 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
17. Cycles and rhythms

In order to be healthy and happy, we must find our own natural rhythm. For accomplishing that goal, the demands of modern civilization, which are extremely rajasic, need to be minimized or simplified. Through the application of Ayurvedic principles, we learn how to cultivate a more relaxed sattvic rhythm. Our environment also has a rhythm - in terms of seasons and daily time cycles. We establish, or reinforce, the vital connection between our basic constitution and the rhythm of the universe. It is essential to structure our lives so as to facilitate that connection.

Ayurveda teaches about getting in tune with natural rhythm, about maintaining or restoring natural balance. Pittas often are so practical and self regulated that they have good sleep, neither too much nor too little. Occasionally Pittas with the tendency to be workaholics, can stay up too late at night. But that is usually a temporary issue, corrected when appropriate and pragmatic to do so. Vatas and Kaphas, however, can be prone to long lasting (chronic) problems with their sleep cycle.

Vatas not enough, Kaphas too much sleep. Whereas Vatas can be oversensitive, nervous and high strung if they don't rest or sleep enough... Kaphas can be complacent, stubborn, and resistant to new ideas when they sleep more than necessary. Vatas usually don't get stuck in ruts, and they need to. Kaphas often have difficulty moving out of a rut. For Kapha therefore, a rut is some habit that is not supportive of good health. For Vata, on the other hand, a rut is some habit that - should it be employed - would help regulate their energy fluctuations.

Vatas, and those with Vata imbalance, can awaken at 2am and have difficulty returning to sleep. Or sleep is intermittent between the hours of 2 and 6am. The hours of 2 to 6 in the morning and afternoon are governed by Vata. Remember Vata is the principle of movement. So at those hours, our minds can feel energized and cause us to awaken or become more active. It is a wonderful idea for Vatas to retire well before 10pm so that the Kapha time period can help them relax ... around 9 or 9:30pm. Vatas need to be very strict with themselves and avoid becoming too excited or attempting to involve themselves in major activity after 6pm.

Kaphas are challenged to get up and moving in a timely manner. They often want to remain in bed well past an appropriate time. Ayurveda advises getting up by 6am, but for exhausted Vatas, they may need extra sleep ... so for them, maybe sleep until 7 or 8 (or later as needed), if able to do so. Kaphas should not usually sleep much longer than 8 hours, and need to be very strict rousing themselves in the morning. If Kaphas stay in bed past 6am, it will be harder to get up because that is when the Kapha time of day begins.

Is this making sense? (In the second quiz, questions 2 and 6 were designed to encourage readers to think along these lines, prior to explanation in the lesson material.)

love
parvati
Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2018 :  09:51:20 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by findingpath

Parvati, thank you very much for this awesome thread. It's great to read about Ayurveda in this simplified but intensive way. I have read about Ayurveda and traditional Chinese medicine in the past but information was very complex and explanation unclear to me. Maybe it wasn't the right time, maybe I wasn't prepared. But now, your explanation is very clear and motivates me to learn more about Ayurveda.

I also take quiz 2, here are the answers:
1.It is because cold and heavy nature of sweet taste is opposite or complementary to the nature of Pita and Vata. Vatas need more rest and stability. They are like wind. Cold and heavy nature of sweet taste pulls down and grounds lightweight energy of Vata. Water is also cold and heavy and air (vata) without water is dry and it is not very pleasant. Pita is in similar situation. Fire (Pita) has strong up warding energy and need to be calmer so cold and heavy nature of sweet taste gives a relief.

2. I don't know perhaps from 2am to 6am when VATA dosha is the most active?

3. Vata is very light and it's always moving like air while Kapha is heavy and still like water. Vata motivates us to move and act spontaneously but without Kapha we would end up exhausted because Kapha enables good rest. With too many spontaneous actions without any order we would end up in chaos but Kapha brings clear routine. Kapha without Vata would be very slow and stagnant, trapped in never changing routine.

4. Pittas have to keep anger under control. Pita dosha could be pacified by using energy from anger to finding practical solution.

5. Air, Ether - VATA
Fire - PITTA
Water, Earth - KAPHA

6. For Kaphas it's from 6am to 10am. It's because Kaphas is having a hard time when they have to get up from a bed and start to move. And it's also because in this time Kapha dosha is the most active and any imbalances in Kapha dosha are stronger.

7. Because many people are dual dosha type. Two of three answers are correct in some questions.

8. When we are learning how to balance doshas we are deepening the feeling of ourselves, our body and mind so we are also more sensitive to everything which is hidden in unconscious. Also balanced doshas enable self-healing and for self-healing is necessary to heal our suppressed traumatic memories.

Welcome Findingpath!

A+. The above post made me cry (from joy). I'll reread it later (once the screen becomes clear b/c now it's blurry from trying to focus thru my tears). I'm speechless, but anyway words wouldn't suffice to express my gratitude. Thank you so much

love
parvati
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2018 :  10:40:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Can you research online about oiling the body? Abhyanga is warm oil massage. Do you like applying oil to the body? It is unpleasant for me, so haven't learned much about it.

I really like Abhyanga, especially in wintertime. In wintertime VATA element is making the bones dry. What I do is using a good Ayurvedic herb oil. This is expensive but you can mix expensive Ayurvedic oil 30% with 70% pure sesamoil to save money and the fragrance is not so very heavy that way.

I place the bottle in hot water, but you can also use a professional oil warmer. On a free morning I start with a whole body massage with the warm oil, put on some old soft clothes and do yoga/meditation, breakfast, I'll stay a little bit longer in the oily clothes, reading some AYP lessons etc. and then take a shower with warm water. I'll try to do this once a week in wintertime and it is comforting, good for the whole body, the bones, skin etc.

Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2018 :  11:55:21 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Charliedog for that valuable contribution, Capucine and others will benefit from your expertise. I like Argan oil because it's not real slimy, rather it's kind of dry. It's expensive though. Abhyanga is for people whose lives are so in order that they don't mind making an oily mess .. I've got extremely sensitive skin and Argan is the only oil it will tolerate externally. I use it sparingly.

love
parvati
Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2018 :  12:56:18 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
18. Prana, Tejas, Ojas

Prana, Tejas, and Ojas correspond roughly to Vata, Pitta, and Kapha respectively.

PRANA - According to Svoboda, "Prana is the life force equivalent to the chi or ki in Oriental medicine. It strings body, mind and spirit together on a single strand of breath..." (Prakriti Your Ayurvedic Constitution, p. 113)

TEJAS - According to Frawley, "Tejas is the mental fire. Hallucinogenic drugs function mainly by increasing Tejas. This results in heightened perception, which may give us a sense of the deeper powers of our consciousness. But these drugs function by burning up Ojas [or draining it away, parv], our subtle vital reserve, causing long-term depletion of our primary vitality." (Ayurvedic Healing, p. 263)

OJAS - According to McIntyre, "Ojas is strength, the prime energy reserve of the body". (The Ayurveda Bible, p. 381) Ojas is our immunity to disease. We have discussed the supreme importance of Agni and complete digestion. Digestion is a complex affair involving many tissues and stages of assimilation.

Ojas is the final product of digestion. Each step builds on the previous one. If there is a problem at any stage of the process, the next step will not commence as needed and will malfunction. Digestion and nutrient assimilation will become successively more and more incomplete. Therefore if tissue formation at any stage along the way is impaired, Ojas will not be properly produced and it may not be produced at all.

We need to be aware of the importance of Ojas and do everything in our power to conserve it. In my opinion, drugs of any kind - both pharmaceutical and recreational - will tend to deplete Ojas. As will unnecessary chemicals, toxins or poisons in our food, which create a burden on the body and consciousness.

The Ayurvedic view of digestion and understanding of sequential tissue formation is one of the most fascinating areas of this natural healing system. It is more complex than the areas we have so far discussed and may be difficult to grasp. It may also be a much deeper level than where we are presently at. However Ojas was mentioned in the OP section 1. It's been decided that it needs be explained soon.

When it is thoroughly comprehended how Ojas is produced and conserved, the natural power, beauty and wisdom of Ayurveda becomes very clear indeed.

love
parvati

Edited by - parvati9 on Feb 07 2018 3:01:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2018 :  2:55:11 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
19. The first 4 tissues

1. Rasa
2. Blood
3. Flesh
4. Fat
~ in that order ~

The following information is taken from Svoboda chapter 4, The Seven Dhatus, pp. 73-80.

1. RASA
Rasa represents tissue fluids - lymph, plasma and chyle. My guess is that chyle is the liquified food product after it has been broken down with digestive enzymes. Accessory tissues - breast milk, menstrual blood. Function nourishment, gratification. Waste product at this stage is mucous (Kapha).

2. BLOOD
If there was no real desire for food (poor appetite), yet a meal was consumed anyway, there may be a problem at the get-go. Perhaps ama is produced in preference to Rasa. Maybe this is because necessary digestive enzymes fail to be sufficiently provided and thus engaged with the food digestion. According to Svoboda, "In such conditions the system recognizes that it must first clear the obstruction to the dhatu nourishment process by digesting ama before it can handle any further nutrition."

In that case, formation of Blood tissue would malfunction, and all subsequent tissues would be malnourished. For proper Blood tissue formation, the body must be "able to obtain sufficient Rasa." Tissue - red blood cells. Accessory tissues - blood vessels, tendons. Function invigoration. Waste product at this stage is bile (Pitta). Pitta governs blood.

3. FLESH
Primary tissue muscle. Accessory tissues skin and ligaments. Function plastering the skeleton, security. Waste product at this stage is orifice discharge.

4. FAT
Function: Lubrication, commitment. Accessory tissue omentum (spare tire around belly). Waste product at this stage is sweat. "Fat insulates us to hold heat in and sweat radiates it away." Sufficient fat is necessary for warmth and contentment. "When we lack the thermal insulation that fat provides, we are physically and emotionally cold." Kapha governs fat.

The above is to provide only a very general idea of tissue processes involved at the first 4 levels. At this point the exact details don't really matter.

The essential feature of sequential tissue formation is to realize the vital necessity of a strong appetite, the significance of Agni, the significance of keeping our digestion in top notch condition. Without a proper start to the digestive process and without paying attention to the digestive process, everything can go awry very quickly. There are still two more tissue stages before Ojas is produced. Ojas is the 7th tissue stage.

Excellent health is directly proportional to our ability in producing, sustaining and conserving Ojas. It is good to have conscious awareness of all that our bodies must accomplish in order to achieve adequate immune response (from the Ayurvedic perspective).

love
parvati

Edited by - parvati9 on Feb 07 2018 9:57:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2018 :  03:05:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
Quote Parvati9,
quote:
Abhyanga is for people whose lives are so in order that they don't mind making an oily mess

Abhyanga manual voor not oilymess:
Go to the bathroom, warm the oil
Big towel on the floor
Next to the towel place socks, old soft cotton t-shirt and legging or pants
Sit on towel with oil next to you,
Start with the feet, put on your socks
the rest will follow, massage into the heart direction
put on the clothes and wash your hands

After some hours take a warm shower

Enjoy

Edited by - Charliedog on Feb 13 2018 10:52:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

capucine

France
66 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2018 :  03:08:25 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Charliedog to share your experience with Abhyanga, a very accurate explanation
Go to Top of Page

capucine

France
66 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2018 :  03:39:48 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi parvati9,

I notice that in astrology, each astrological sign is related to an element (air, fire, water, earth – but not ether) like the doshas. I wonder if this sign and the ascendant can determine (or influence) the main dosha for basic constitution (Parakruti) and Vikruti ?

Or it is just a coincidence if the astrology sign and the main dosha for basic constitution are the same, and the ascendant sign is like the Vikruti dosha ? I noticed it for some people around me I know well and for me.

Go to Top of Page

findingpath

8 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2018 :  03:58:31 AM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Reply
So, tissues create each other in order they were listed ? Something like, nutritions from digestion creates RASA, RASA creates BLOOD, BLOOD creates FLESH and FLESH creates FAT ? Or, do they relate to each other in a different way ?

BTW thanks for A+ mark :)
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2018 :  04:29:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
Could we say (if we are healthy) that if we have no desire for food, poor appetite, that could be a natural sign to do a fasting periode?

Edited by - Charliedog on Feb 08 2018 04:30:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2018 :  08:36:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by parvati9

"May it please the Lord,
Light of all things,
To show me the way,
So that I may paint light worthily"

love
parvati

Easy quiz because of good teaching. I'll not write it down - as I have a choice.

If skin feels oily after abhyanga, use an old towel to lightly wipe out any excess. I don't like abhyanga in summer, and like it in winter.

Indeed, it seems that ojas is very sensitive to any chemicals and extreme tastes. At a point, the body let me know that extreme tastes were unacceptable, and I had to give up on things like wasabi. I am not saying that we should ban certain tastes. I am saying that we should pay attention to our body and intuition.

Thank you for your teaching, Parvati!
love
Blanche
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000