Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Hyperventilation bad for brain
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2017 :  3:37:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi guys,

Traditionally in Yoga, the (few)Pranayamas that cause hyperventilation are performed (if at all)less than a minute, two repetitions maximum.

However, excess hyperventilation (i.e. breath of fire) is typically used in certain Yoga classes all over the world, in great doses.

See image of brain scan after one minute of hyperventilation and the reduced oxygen levels here:
https://goo.gl/images/eZLs2M

Quotes from the following link:
"When we’ve “blown off” too much CO2, our blood’s acid-base balance is thrown into excessive alkalinity. When this happens, the hemoglobin holds too tightly onto the oxygen molecules, and doesn’t release them into the body’s tissues. So, even if we could maximize CO2 loss and O2 gain, this effect could only go as far as the bloodstream –where the oxygen will remain undelivered, bound to the hemoglobin. From this perspective, hyperventilation is a paradoxical state in which there’s too much oxygen in the body’s bloodstream, but not enough in its tissues."

"It’s interesting to note that hyperventilation refers to the chemical condition of the blood, not to a particular pattern of rapid or shallow breathing. It is just as possible to hyperventilate while breathing slowly and deeply as it is while breathing rapidly and shallowly. The only requirement is that the minute-volume exceeds the body’s ability to replace the CO2 that’s being blown off."
Source: http://www.yogaanatomy.org/wp-conte...-Breath2.pdf

Regarding the last paragraph, it is what happens with Wim Hoff´s method.

According to Professor Guyton, cancer is caused by tissue hypoxia only.

In contrast to this, yoga pranayama such as spinal breathing with Ujjaji, that is, making the exhalation long, is good and helps oxigenate the brain, which also happens with Kumbhaka (breath retention).
https://trueayurveda.wordpress.com/...ar-work-out/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/ar...-10-CC04.pdf

Yoga is a millenary tradition of wisdom and should be followed properly.

Breathing should be done through the nose, unless the sadhaka has physical problems that prevents this, to clear Ida and Pingala nadi (the one active at the moment of breathing), and to reduce the air passway in order to prolongue the breath.

Edited by - Will Power on Sep 27 2017 09:24:32 AM

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2017 :  7:05:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Will, have you been hacked? 3rd post about hyperventilating. Doesn't sound like you.
Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2017 :  10:47:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi lalow33, I haven´t been hacked, thanks for the concern. What happened is that I realized that my posts contained links that included bashing of spiritual teachers, so I deleted them and posted again providing different links which include no bashing.
Go to Top of Page

aguacate

Germany
44 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2017 :  4:05:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That is very interesting, thank you for posting!

Seems I have to reduce my Kapalbhati then?

Right now I do three minutes before my main practices as warming up.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2198 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2017 :  9:27:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Aguacate, try a light kapabhati exhale, when the air passing through the nostrils is like flapping butterfly wings, especially if you already experience ecstatic conductivity. This will be more than enough to prime the energy pump.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000