Healthcare - Holistic and Modern
 Scientific studies of different Pranayamas
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2017 :  05:32:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I found these articles very interesting:

http://www.scopemed.org/?mno=199791

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/ar...-10-CC04.pdf

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2019 :  08:18:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The second paper is very interesting, in that the pranava 1:3 method shows the biggest difference in heart rate, but I'm not sure I understand how this is more beneficial, if it fact it is. It seems to imply improved synchronization between willful physical action (such as control of a breath intake and an expiration) and neural activity, perhaps the raising of prana and its return.

In "The Athlete's Guide to Yoga" by Sage Rountree, an RYT who is also a certified coach in several endurance sports, Rowntree highlights that meditation teaches patience and equanimity, abilities that help the endurance athlete to accept what is, such as "climb the hill" versus "how much the heck farther do I need to go up this darn hill"? She also observes that when on outdoor workouts (moving meditations) constant attention is required to respond to terrain, road/surface hazards, traffic or other participants. One must constantly be in the moment. As in static meditation, after passing through all of the moments in sequence, the activity is finished.

I've seen this on a bicycle. After I started Iyengar asana practice, I started using the upper body disciplines of mountain pose while pedaling, straight spine, open chest, folding in the groins rather than the spines, separating the sit bones, and making the feet parallel. I also breathed deeply and evenly, but synching my breath to the demands of the moment. It felt much better, and while I don't think I was faster, I climbed a lot of out Michigan river hills and finished the ride 90 minutes later with a peaceful sense and no pain. I didn't use any mantra, but the point of focus was the action of cycling.

I wonder if I can ride a bike while doing 1:3? I assume I was breathing 1:1 on that bike ride.

In any case, I did have a sense of mind-body integration.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000