Building a Daily Practice with Self-Pacing
 Self Pacing ... Cut back or Pick up ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2006 :  10:11:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I always associated self pacing with cutting down on practice.. Could it be possible that when you have a stable practice and suddenly due to unavoidable circumstances, you cut down on your practice for a period of time, you have unfavorable symptoms. The last 2 weeks were very stressful.. and I woke up with a headache almost everyday.. and in that case.. I skip the chin pump and anything else that has to do with kumbhaka.. both of these make my head throb with pain.. I have been skipping evening sessions or cut down on them a lot because of lack of time. After this mornings session (which was short because I got up late ).. I have a lot of crown activity and feel heavy headed. I am not worried.. I know its a phase and it will go away... need to self pace.. hummmm....

But this has got me thinking... I wonder is self pacing would apply to both.. cutting down on practice and increasing it when needed.. so actually self pacing is adjusting your practice, not always cutting back on it. And in my case.. I wonder what would be the right thing to do.. get back into my regular routine (which I can do now).. or cut it back further..

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2006 :  4:31:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

I always associated self pacing with cutting down on practice.. Could it be possible that when you have a stable practice and suddenly due to unavoidable circumstances, you cut down on your practice for a period of time, you have unfavorable symptoms. The last 2 weeks were very stressful.. and I woke up with a headache almost everyday.. and in that case.. I skip the chin pump and anything else that has to do with kumbhaka.. both of these make my head throb with pain.. I have been skipping evening sessions or cut down on them a lot because of lack of time. After this mornings session (which was short because I got up late ).. I have a lot of crown activity and feel heavy headed. I am not worried.. I know its a phase and it will go away... need to self pace.. hummmm....

But this has got me thinking... I wonder is self pacing would apply to both.. cutting down on practice and increasing it when needed.. so actually self pacing is adjusting your practice, not always cutting back on it. And in my case.. I wonder what would be the right thing to do.. get back into my regular routine (which I can do now).. or cut it back further..

Hi Shanti yes sudden unavoidable changes in practices due to circumstances is something I am quite used to and oh yes it can have unpredictable negative effects and in my experience unwanted crown activity can be one of them, sounds like you have had a really stressful couple of weeks you were quite right to stop chin pump and kumbhaka you definitely shouldn’t do these if there is any pain in your neck or head. Throbbing headaches generated by head movement or air pressure in the sinuses sound very like migraine to me and stress can definitely cause that As for self pacing you are correct it’s all about adjustment not just cutting down,
I think if we have something coming up that we know or have a good suspicion is going to disrupt out practises it might be a good idea to cut down the time voluntarily adjusting all the practices to fit in to a shorter time frame for the duration that way at least we avoid the stress caused by not being able to finish, not always possible I know we don’t always know when these things are going to start or how long they are going to last.
I think what you maybe should do now is just try to settle back gently into your regular practices but with perhaps less time on the more aggressive ones to be on the safe side. Then you can build up again over a few days to a nice stable practice again it all goes to prove how important regular practices are doesn’t it

Richard
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2006 :  9:06:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by azaz932001
[br As for self pacing you are correct it’s all about adjustment not just cutting down,

I think what you maybe should do now is just try to settle back gently into your regular practices but with perhaps less time on the more aggressive ones to be on the safe side. Then you can build up again over a few days to a nice stable practice again it all goes to prove how important regular practices are doesn’t it

Richard

Thanks Richard.. sounds doable to me. Yes it does make sense to ease back in rather than try to pick up where I left off.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000