Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Kripalu Yoga
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dennis

USA
83 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2016 :  11:33:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
How does Kripalu Yoga and AYP differ? I know they both do breathing and meditation. And I assume you shouldn't mix the two. Is that correct?

Cato

Germany
225 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2022 :  8:51:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I also recently stumpled across Kripalu Yoga. Has anyone experience with this style of yoga and can comment? Not about how it differs from AYP, but in general...
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2022 :  12:39:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Living only a couple of hours away from the Kripalu Yoga Center in Stockbridge, Massachusetts, I have taken many classes with Kripalu-trained teachers. This style of yoga has an integrative approach and is meant to promote spiritual transformation. The classes are centered on hatha yoga, with elements of pranayama and mindfulness meditation. Kripalu teachers are well trained, and their personal style influences the practice. For example, one Kripalu teacher is very athletic, and she teaches intense vinyasa classes. Another Kripalu teacher tends to lead slower asana classes, with a lot of elements of pranayama, pratyahara, concentration, meditation, and even self-inquiry, classes where the bliss rises in waves and one feels like barely touching the ground. Each teacher attracts a different group, and I have rarely seen the same students in both classes.

If there is a Kripalu yoga teacher where you live, you may like to take some classes and see if it suits you.

Edited by - Blanche on Mar 22 2022 12:42:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

Cato

Germany
225 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2022 :  1:58:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Blanche. Unfortunatley, there is no Kripalu teacher around where I live. However, I dived into books and many aspects from the teachings resonate with me. As you say, it is not only about asanas. I cannot tell if it might complement AYP or if it rather should be seen as another branch of spiritual transformation that shouldn't be mixed.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2022 :  07:32:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Cato,

I am not familiar with Kripalu yoga. In general though, there are no other spiritual practices that cannot be combined with the AYP practices. So, whatever they are teaching could be combined.

However, there are some basic guidelines to follow when mixing practices. One basic guideline, is to begin with AYP practices only and build up a stable practice first. Also, someone should be able to feel the prana flowing through their body, before they begin mixing AYP with other yogic practices. So, someone should be at a relatively advanced stage already. On top of this, it is good to be cautious if mixing energetic practices from two different systems, because of the doubling-up effect that can happen. This doubling-up effect can have a delayed reaction, sometimes coming in weeks, or even months later, and can affect advanced practitioners as much as anyone else.

So, those are the basic guidelines to follow for anyone who is thinking about mixing AYP practices with other practices. In your case, as you have quite a long history of instability, I would suggest waiting for a few more years, before attempting to mix AYP practices with any other system of practices.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2022 :  12:21:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Kripalu yoga teaches mindfulness (open awareness) as a meditation practice, and I have met a couple of Kripalu teachers in the process of awakening. I find deep meditation and the rest of the AYP system very powerful and clear, so it is my personal choice to stick with it. In time, the entire life becomes a practice, including other systems of yoga, so it is interesting to learn new things. Kripalu yoga works with doshas, prana, chakras, and elements of Ayurveda - and one learns about all these things in the AYP, too.

When it comes to Kripalu yoga classes, they are balanced asana classes, and one can try them to see if it suits them. Often I would come home from one of these classes and meditate in the AYP style to complete the practice.
Go to Top of Page

Cato

Germany
225 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2022 :  5:35:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Blanche, as you say, AYP is my first choice as well. There are no possibilities to take Kripalu classes where I live anyway. However, it has a nice appeal. It gets more into spirituality than other asana-centered approaches I know. It focuses on being present (on and off the mat), alignment, relaxation (techniques), meditation, building character, body wisdom/intuition and also adresses experiences and awakenings, opening the heart, witness consciousness and the like. As far as I can see, it is quite gentle and has no advanced energetic practices involved. I think it has a nice and balanced framework, though this view is based on literature alone and possibly limited.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000