New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sunyata

USA
1505 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2015 :  12:09:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
No, karma or a spiritual framework is not part of my experience with my in-laws. I know this is a spiritual board, but there was no trying to accept or forgive or anything like that, and I don't understand or try to understand karma. Things can happen that bring you together. You might not notice, and it's okay. I'm just saying this can work it's self out without any effort or labeling. One day, you may find your in-laws becoming your family, telling them you love them even though they get on your nerves, for no reason at all.

P.S. I hope this doesn't come across as mean or whatever. What I'm trying to say is that everything does not need a " spiritual label" or framework. Circumstances or life or God, will give you repeated opportunities to find compassion for your in- laws. Through a life there will be joyous occasions and heartbreakers and everything in-between. There's no worries, sunyata. You'll find your place in this family. It could be much better than you ever expected

Dear Lalow,

It's not mean not all. What is coming through you is completely understood and appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2015 :  1:50:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sunyata the true story was for you and the few that read it.

After I felt it had been consumed it was removed. No need for unintended parties to read and become unhappy.

From my perspective all of life is spiritual and there is nothing that is not. In fact I will say that in recent times I am perceiving things in fits and starts as they are becoming known to my awareness that are taking me right out of this plane of existence and opening to a new level of existence that is oh so much more and this human life is such a very, very small part of it.

The only way I can describe it is it is like having lived under a sea of dense fog all your life, and you are conditioned to the heavy humid warm cloying fog and so is everyone else but in fits and starts you find yourself high up above in a crystal clear cool dry night sky with all the stars standing out in stark relief and you realize that you are neither of that nor the fog below it is such a clear cool perception free of all the waste heat.

Still this life is so very important because if not for this how else then shall we become more aware of our own reality. All these human interactions are spiritual because there is not one human being who is not of spirit.

Lol a great many do not yet know this much about themselves nor can they even conceive of it. Oh well all in due time.
Go to Top of Page

dv2014

USA
93 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2015 :  2:21:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just want to offer my well wishes and prayers to you, Sunyata ...

I have also had tough times dealing with my husband's mom and extended family. But the relationship has become much better over the past couple of years. Several years ago my mother-in-law visited us for a few months and it was not at all easy for me in the beginning. But two things that helped me then were: 1) I consciously started reminding silently to myself one or two good qualities of my mother-in-law whenever I felt not so good. This was forced and kind of artificial at first, but gradually became more natural. After many years (now about 10 years or so) later, I truly admire her for those good qualities. 2) I decided to expect nothing from her, no nods of inclusiveness, approval or appreciation. I tried to be happy as an outsider in her picture of her family, which was my main internal complaint at that time. I used to feel that despite all my efforts to get integrated into the family, I was looked down on and placed at a lower level compared to others in the family ... Accepting that as such was a big step for me. Things have improved a lot since then though.

I am sure you have thought through all these and beyond ... but offering my two cents. I like BRC's idea of 'self pacing' on relationships. When we are completely purified, perhaps we would be able to take in all the diversity in nature without any discomfort, but till then, we can act in a measured way that is conducive to our progress. As long as we don't harbor any ill feelings toward them, it should be OK. Keep blessing them from your heart, you never know, they may change one day.

Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1505 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2015 :  3:16:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Sunyata the true story was for you and the few that read it.

After I felt it had been consumed it was removed. No need for unintended parties to read and become unhappy.

From my perspective all of life is spiritual and there is nothing that is not. In fact I will say that in recent times I am perceiving things in fits and starts as they are becoming known to my awareness that are taking me right out of this plane of existence and opening to a new level of existence that is oh so much more and this human life is such a very, very small part of it.

The only way I can describe it is it is like having lived under a sea of dense fog all your life, and you are conditioned to the heavy humid warm cloying fog and so is everyone else but in fits and starts you find yourself high up above in a crystal clear cool dry night sky with all the stars standing out in stark relief and you realize that you are neither of that nor the fog below it is such a clear cool perception free of all the waste heat.

Still this life is so very important because if not for this how else then shall we become more aware of our own reality. All these human interactions are spiritual because there is not one human being who is not of spirit.

Lol a great many do not yet know this much about themselves nor can they even conceive of it. Oh well all in due time.

Yes,indeed the recognition that everything is spirit is there. Not everyone recognizes it is true. This is the reason I'm here sharing this with the fellow travelers..
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1505 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2015 :  3:18:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Just want to offer my well wishes and prayers to you, Sunyata ...

I have also had tough times dealing with my husband's mom and extended family. But the relationship has become much better over the past couple of years. Several years ago my mother-in-law visited us for a few months and it was not at all easy for me in the beginning. But two things that helped me then were: 1) I consciously started reminding silently to myself one or two good qualities of my mother-in-law whenever I felt not so good. This was forced and kind of artificial at first, but gradually became more natural. After many years (now about 10 years or so) later, I truly admire her for those good qualities. 2) I decided to expect nothing from her, no nods of inclusiveness, approval or appreciation. I tried to be happy as an outsider in her picture of her family, which was my main internal complaint at that time. I used to feel that despite all my efforts to get integrated into the family, I was looked down on and placed at a lower level compared to others in the family ... Accepting that as such was a big step for me. Things have improved a lot since then though.

I am sure you have thought through all these and beyond ... but offering my two cents. I like BRC's idea of 'self pacing' on relationships. When we are completely purified, perhaps we would be able to take in all the diversity in nature without any discomfort, but till then, we can act in a measured way that is conducive to our progress. As long as we don't harbor any ill feelings toward them, it should be OK. Keep blessing them from your heart, you never know, they may change one day.

Thank You dv2014 for sharing your story as well. Your points are taken and have worked on them as well. You are right-self pacing in this relationship seems to be the answer.
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2015 :  3:41:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What lovely replies. sunyata, I just didn't want to come across as knowing much more than you. I do spiritual practice, but I'm not super spiritual, just a regular gal. Things can get better without opening, karma worked out, whatever. Sometimes, we feel like we have to do something, but I'm just saying, sometimes doing nothing and letting has it's benefits. Everything will workout.
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1505 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2015 :  4:00:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I just didn't want to come across as knowing much more than you. I do spiritual practice, but I'm not super spiritual, just a regular gal. Things can get better without opening, karma worked out, whatever. Sometimes, we feel like we have to do something, but I'm just saying, sometimes doing nothing and letting has it's benefits. Everything will workout.

Don't worry Lalow-I'm just a regular girl just like you. We are all trying to navigate through life. I asked my Isthas and they answered through you all. You have said wonderful things. It's my heart's desire to not only experience the bliss and peace by myself but to be able to share it with everyone. But when such situations arise, it gets hard and I cry out to my Isthas and here. You all i.e. my friends here echo the right answers at the right time.
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2015 :  4:45:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you sunyata. Just an example, my in-laws used to hate me. This year my husband's back was out; I drove 3 hrs on Thanksgiving with my kids without my husband to see them.( We moved a few years ago). I would not have wanted to do that 10 years ago. Oh, I have stories! None of that matters now. We had a good time!
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1505 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2015 :  7:35:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice to hear how your relationship has evolved.

Edited by - sunyata on Dec 15 2015 7:35:54 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000