Yoga, Career and Money
 Attaining the State of Minimalism
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

alecpeace

USA
95 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2015 :  09:31:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello fellow AYP'ers

Do any of you consider yourselves minimalists in the true sense of the word? By that I mean leading/practicing a minimalist outward and inward lifestyle?

If not, are you striving towards less materialism and how's that going for you?
If you are, how has your experience been?

This is what true modern-day minimalism is:
https://youtu.be/Hw4E8nXcrTk
https://youtu.be/zFMAHzh-uoU
https://youtu.be/Xas9RPnCF0w
http://www.theminimalists.com/

For me, it's been a gradual process. Having highly materialistic parents has not helped. But I'm glad to announce that looking back at myself 10 years ago, I've gotten rid of about 80% of all my "stuff" and I can't overstate how liberating it feels.

Edited by - alecpeace on Oct 12 2015 09:37:49 AM

Dogboy

USA
2193 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2015 :  11:06:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've always believed that cluttered home = cluttered mind, and came from parents who were children of the Great Depression with hoarding tendencies, which caused my pendulum to swing the other way. I shop clothing consignment, donating an item score a new one is purchased. My drawers are organized so I could locate something in the dark if needed. I'm not so minimalist as to be living out of a suitcase, but like to think I could if needed. As the primary caregiver for the house and family, I have some minimalist influence in my home; I live with three females who love clothes and beauty products.

Edit: nothing close to some of those You tube links, mind you, that's too extreme for comfort.

Edited by - Dogboy on Oct 12 2015 11:10:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

alecpeace

USA
95 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2015 :  10:15:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Dogboy

cluttered home = cluttered mind

Very true.

Buddhists would say they've been minimalists for 2,500 years
Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2015 :  09:32:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
cluttered mind = cluttered home .we are what we think
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2015 :  05:01:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am quite hedonistic. I love beautiful things, colours, smell, feel, sound. I love beauty - it can be found creatively design plastic or in expensive gems; in herbs crushed between the fingers or expensive perfumes; in the bubbling brook or the opera; in an uncluttered space as well as in the tumble of colours of warm family life. So no, I don't particularly believe in being "minimalist".

Sey
Go to Top of Page

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2015 :  09:01:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Gotta love the honesty Sey.

I have known Millionaires who preach a doctrine of non-ownership and put on quite the outward show of renunciation to very absurd lengths but spend all their time condemning others around them and are cheap to a fantastic extent measuring every grams of worth against a penny always seeking maximum value in every transaction in life no matter what it may be. Worse yet this extends to interaction with people even when money is not involved.

This is a true Hedonist that desires everything yet denies everything and only stokes the inner desires creating perversions in the mind and moral landscape.

If you don't have it within then making a production of it on the outside is a sham.

Prefer to be in the company of someone like SeySorciere than the above mentioned horror of a person.

Oh and Sey you sound more like a Sensualist not a Hedonist.

On the direct subject of Minimalism I think it is silly have what you need and if there is something more why not? Who is to be praised for not having an attraction to more? When the attraction is not there it is not there, it is nothing to even consider.

quote:
Originally posted by SeySorciere

I am quite hedonistic. I love beautiful things, colours, smell, feel, sound. I love beauty - it can be found creatively design plastic or in expensive gems; in herbs crushed between the fingers or expensive perfumes; in the bubbling brook or the opera; in an uncluttered space as well as in the tumble of colours of warm family life. So no, I don't particularly believe in being "minimalist".

Sey

Go to Top of Page

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2015 :  10:48:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely resonate with Sey here - and So-Hi, I agree sensualist is the correct word.

Although I don't hoard, and I am inclined to have only a relatively small number of possessions, those I do have tend to be chosen out of love for their beauty.
Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2015 :  4:55:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
and the meek shall inherit the earth.
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2015 :  01:58:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sensual am I then!

Sey
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000