AYPsite.org Forum
 Yamas & Niyamas - Restraints & Observances
 Anybody here culturing kefir?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

joseph

117 Posts

Posted - May 24 2015 :  03:43:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I've been doing it for a week and have had a big detox happening. It's such a tasty, refreshing drink also, and I like the process of making it, all a kind of meditation. Would be interested to hear the thoughts of others on this strange beverage!

BillinL.A.

USA
375 Posts

Posted - May 24 2015 :  2:14:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I never heard of it 'til now Joseph.

Amazon says it a probiotic...I rely on the moldy stuff in my fridge for enhancing my intestinal cultures.

Just yesterday cut up a big potatoe that I had cut in half a couple weeks ago and after boiling it a little with many veggies and some tofu I couldn't taste the mold. I've tasted moldy cheese though even after cooking it some.
Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - May 24 2015 :  5:18:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i have taken this before a little acid for but ok good luck
Go to Top of Page

Beehive

USA
117 Posts

Posted - May 25 2015 :  9:48:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have been making kefir for many years and I agree with you that making it is meditative. I have not had a big detox experience with it but I do think it is pretty special. You probably know this, but there are websites with vast amounts of info about kefir. I'm really glad you like it too.
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - May 26 2015 :  08:31:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by BillinL.A.

I rely on the moldy stuff in my fridge for enhancing my intestinal cultures.

Bill
Go to Top of Page

joseph

117 Posts

Posted - May 26 2015 :  4:41:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds lovely, Bill. Hey, if it works for ya

Beehive, seems you're the main kefir person around here. I don't know any of these websites, though I could google, but if you could direct us to the best one(s) it would be nice. How do you do yours by the way, do you use raw milk? I'd like to be using that one day. Seems like it would just add to the quality of the drink.

I love how it's a living thing as well - the grains are growing and needing fresh milk to survive. Feels like I'm responsible for them now hehe
Go to Top of Page

BillinL.A.

USA
375 Posts

Posted - May 26 2015 :  5:53:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Blanche

Joseph
Go to Top of Page

Beehive

USA
117 Posts

Posted - May 26 2015 :  6:34:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am happy to be the kefir person! Here are two of the websites that I used when I first was figuring it all out:
http://www.culturedfoodlife.com/
http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html

The second one is more information that you could EVER imagine about kefir. Truly it is this man's life work! The science he has there is remarkable.

I do not use raw milk. I live in Seattle and it is easy to get raw milk here so I did when I first started out; I wanted ALL the wonderful bacteria, micronutrients! But, it only comes in full fat and I just couldn't take the richness so now I use organic 1% and figure it is still packed with more probiotics than just about anything else.

I like mine to get thick and I read somewhere that if you put it in the refrigerator halfway through the fermenting process for a few hours or overnight then take it out to finish fermenting it will be thicker and I definitely find that to be true. I also like to put a cinnamon stick in the finished kefir to flavor it. I keep the strained kefir in the refrigerator for a day before I use it.

Do you know who else loves kefir? MY DOG! She adores it. Did you know that the kefir grains break down the lactose in milk so that even many lactose intolerant people can drink it?

I love that it is alive, too. And I'm fascinated by the kefir blobs... have you pulled one apart yet? It really does feel like a little miracle.
Go to Top of Page

joseph

117 Posts

Posted - May 27 2015 :  4:20:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome thanks, plenty of reading to do there!

The kefir I had today was particularly good. Each batch tastes a bit different. I will try that cinnamon kefir when I get some cinnamon. I figure a kefir-banana smoothie will be the first... recipe... I try

I haven't pulled one apart. I don't have enough of them yet to do this. Gotta watch out for each one

..Some useful kefir info coming out on this thread. Beehive, feel free to post tips and recipes from time to time, what works and what doesn't. Always good to be learning. That reminds me, I was going to ask if one should ferment for a longer time during the cold of winter. It's summer right now so room temp. is ideal. In the winter however the flat gets really cold as I don't put the heating on. Will the kefir cope ok with that?
Go to Top of Page

Beehive

USA
117 Posts

Posted - May 29 2015 :  10:17:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes the kefir will cope with the cold winter You won't believe how sturdy those little blobs are. When it is colder it just takes longer for the fermentation to occur. If you want it to ferment faster, you just use a higher proportion of grains to milk. You are going to love seeing how big the grains get!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000