Kundalini Issues Not Related to the AYP System
 Weird happenings during Surya Namaskar
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

aypyogagirl@gmail.com

India
4 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2015 :  1:11:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi, Newbie here! Looking for some advise and reassurance maybe. I started doing yoga about 6 months back. I picked up my 1-hour routine from the Isha Yoga program - and it includes a few asanas, surya namaskar, shavasana, pranayama and finally meditation. I enjoy what I do thoroughly. However some weird goings on during the last stage of the Surya namaskar have gotten me worried. I am fine until I do Step 11-12, the one where I throw my hands and head back; after Step 11, when I move on to the next position and straighten my back, it gets weird. As I straighten up, what I experience ranges from buzzing in my ears and a feeling of mild vibrations passing right through my body to completely losing balance, and sometimes what feels like mild convulsions through my body. There have been a few times I've completely lost balance and reached out to the wall to support myself. And sometimes I feel a sense of... timelessnes...well, am struggling a bit here. Anyway, is this normal? I only do 3 sets of Surya Namaskar and I understand it isn't much. Some days, I reduce it to just one, and I still have the same experience. Any help, reassurance, suggestions?

Dogboy

USA
2193 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2015 :  3:00:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome AYP yoga girl,

Is it the leaning back that activates it? The arms overhead? Both in combination? You can eliminate the leaning and still benefit from a sun salutation.
Go to Top of Page

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2015 :  11:01:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum. Maybe you could stop it for a week and then resume and observe the side effects?
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2015 :  02:48:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi yogagirl,

Welcome to the forum,
It could be your energy, I recognize this, your connection with energy. In my opinion this is normal. Prana spreading trough your body, because of the stretchings of Surya Namaskar.
Only the thinking of yoga practice can start the feelings.
You can feel all kinds of vibrations and tingling in the spine, your skin, body, face. When this starts to happen, sometimes it can bring you out of balance.
Not everybody has the same sensitivity, If it is to much, lay down in savasana and enjoy the vibrations.
Your connection with the infinite....

Edit: be careful with the backbend, keep your head in the middle between your arms, neck in one line with the spine, no sharp bending of your neck.

Edited by - Charliedog on Apr 25 2015 6:25:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2015 :  06:45:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum AYPyogagirl

There's nothing wrong with adapting yoga poses to suit your needs. It's important to stay comfortable and stay in it for the long haul.
Asanas are easily interchangeable. If the back bent in Surya Namaskar is posing difficulties, why not skip it as Dogboy suggests? Instead do other, slower, more controlled back bends, where you have time to figure out what's going on and don't push it it beyond your comfort zone. Maybe a laying down back bend like the cobra would suit?

Enjoy your practice!
Go to Top of Page

aypyogagirl@gmail.com

India
4 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2015 :  03:48:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Dogboy

Welcome AYP yoga girl,

Is it the leaning back that activates it? The arms overhead? Both in combination? You can eliminate the leaning and still benefit from a sun salutation.

quote:
Originally posted by Dogboy

Welcome AYP yoga girl,

Yes - it is the leaning back that seems to start it off. And when I straighten my spine again, there's a whole big rush. I am taking it slow like you have suggested... not bending back too much. Not sure if I want skip the pose entirely. It seems to moderate the amount of energy. Thanks for your reply.
Go to Top of Page

aypyogagirl@gmail.com

India
4 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2015 :  03:50:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your suggestion. Honestly, that thought never crossed my mind :)) I am moderating the back bend a little and it seems to moderate the energy in turn.

quote:
Originally posted by jusmail

Welcome to the forum. Maybe you could stop it for a week and then resume and observe the side effects?

Go to Top of Page

aypyogagirl@gmail.com

India
4 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2015 :  03:51:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the reassurance Charlydog :)Yes, the feeling is strangely enjoyable. And I find myself missing it when it doesn't happen. :))

Edited by - aypyogagirl@gmail.com on Apr 27 2015 10:49:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

Shaktidevi

Sweden
22 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2019 :  11:03:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by aypyogagirl@gmail.com

Hi, Newbie here! Looking for some advise and reassurance maybe. I started doing yoga about 6 months back. I picked up my 1-hour routine from the Isha Yoga program - and it includes a few asanas, surya namaskar, shavasana, pranayama and finally meditation. I enjoy what I do thoroughly. However some weird goings on during the last stage of the Surya namaskar have gotten me worried. I am fine until I do Step 11-12, the one where I throw my hands and head back; after Step 11, when I move on to the next position and straighten my back, it gets weird. As I straighten up, what I experience ranges from buzzing in my ears and a feeling of mild vibrations passing right through my body to completely losing balance, and sometimes what feels like mild convulsions through my body. There have been a few times I've completely lost balance and reached out to the wall to support myself. And sometimes I feel a sense of... timelessnes...well, am struggling a bit here. Anyway, is this normal? I only do 3 sets of Surya Namaskar and I understand it isn't much. Some days, I reduce it to just one, and I still have the same experience. Any help, reassurance, suggestions?

Hi I know this is a post from years ago, I have the same stuff happening aswell during Surya Namaskar, but a lot more intense on what your describing. Just wondering how things are for you now after a few years past?? I don’t know if this is a good or bad thing, different people have given me different answers to this experience.
Thank you
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000