Yamas & Niyamas - Restraints & Observances
 Diet
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

adishivayogi

USA
197 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2015 :  12:14:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
every yogi is basically a vegaterian right? i mean not really but the two are very associated with each other?Im wanting to know if anyone has noticed a difference in their sadhana in regards to shifting diets. for instance i had stopped eating meat for two years and in the middle of that i began kriya yoga. around a year after that i began eating meat again. my body needed it to having a very laborious job and being extremely lazy..to lazy to prepare quality vegan meals to bring to work. i have not noticed any difference in my sadhana. if i prepare myself i can go into samadhi just as easily i feel. im just wondering if anyone has noticed a difference. i have for one have not.

Edited by - adishivayogi on Apr 20 2015 12:17:59 AM

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2015 :  04:29:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello :-)
No not all yogis are vegetarian...Adyashanti, Anandamay Ma, Dalai Lama are not vegetarian
many advanced practioners here in the forums eat meat
I say follow what your body tells you to do, you might be vegetarian for a while, then might not be vegetarian. ...
being vegeterian helps in the beginning of the path, later on it becomes not so important
also if one becomes oversensitive, eating some meat is very grounding
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2015 :  05:43:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I second maheswari.

I experimented with diets too, quite a lot. There were definitely times when being a vegetarian was better for me. I used to feel distinctly heavier and more sluggish after a meaty meal. Not any more. I suspect there comes a point when the belly chakra becomes so strong, you can digests the heaviest meal without even a hiccup.

There is of course the ethical debate about it, which I think is a very complicated, difficult one to call. I remember, when I was a vegetarian, coming to the conclusion that it was not a superiority point. God knows how many creatures (pests) have to be killed to produce out grains, fruit and vegetables, not to mention restraining the habitats of countless species.
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2015 :  06:51:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think that one should eat what makes him/her happy. Some persons may feel better eating meat, other will not. Also, there is meat and meat, as there are vegetables and vegetables.

Due to some health issues I went through some years of experimenting with food, but finally my only rules are
- to look for variety and quality
- to eat what I feel like
- to avoid some specific foods that are not good for me
- to eat less

The fourth rule (to eat less) seem to be the most important one for me. I can eat high quality bio-vegan food, but if I fill my belly to the brim with it I will feel uncomfortable. And I can eat a low quality burger with a soda, as long as I don't overeat I will feel good.

Also, I did not experience any causal link between food and yoga (but consider that I do yoga since 3 years only). The only link is obviously that yoga practice right after meal is not good for me.

Edited by - Ecdyonurus on Apr 20 2015 08:06:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - May 26 2015 :  07:55:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Maheswari and BlueRaincoat. Listen to your body when you choose what to eat. Yogani wrote a wonderful paragraph about this, it is like a little poem. Goes like this:

While some believe that all things can be solved with diet, and go to great lengths to make it so with some extreme behaviors of eating or non-eating, we have to be realistic and say that diet is an aid to spiritual development, not a primary cause. If it were a primary means, the ancient Yoga Sutras would surely have diet as one of the major limbs, and we would have many more enlightened diet enthusiasts running around. In the Yoga Sutras, diet is, in fact, in the sub-limb of purity under the niyamas (observances). In other words, we can’t likely eat (or fast) our way to enlightenment...

In my practice, after many years being vegetarian, I went through some years when I ate meat again (mostly fish and chicken). Now I am back to vegetarian eating. I cannot even say that I made a choice: I get violently sick if I try to eat any meat. Also, the body seems to like: milk/almond milk, bland food, ripe fruit. Enjoy your food - and let it nourish your body and your spirit.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000