Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 Asana Before DM: Can I do 20 min cycling instead?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2015 :  11:11:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Well, there is the question.

I want to cycle 20 minutes every morning, with my road bike on a trainer, and before pranayama/DM is one of my most convenient ways to organize it. Can anyone think of whether this is a good idea from a yogi point of view, or will I face issues that ae not recommended?

I know and enjoy a good range of asanas, lack of familiarity is not the problem. But it is spring, and long-distance cycling is just around the corner.

Ken

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2015 :  02:49:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ken, my experience is that sport before yoga is not good for me. Sport like biking or running enhances the physical body layer, and makes it difficult for me to achieve more subtle layers.

Of course, this is my personal experience - yours could be different.

Anyway, you could do yoga first and your biking session after that.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2015 :  03:35:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
HI Ken

Yogani says that "exercise, both aerobic and muscle toning, should not be done right before yoga practices. Doing them right after sitting practices and rest is good, or at any other time during the day" (quote from the AYP book vol 1, Lesson 80)

Why not do your sitting practise right after getting up, then cycling after that?
Go to Top of Page

Prem

Canada
90 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2015 :  7:04:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Prem's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
BlueRaincoat is right. More strenuous activities should be done after DM. Not before. Even vigorous flow yoga is best done afterwards.
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2015 :  07:49:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, friends, thank you! This what I was looking for.
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2015 :  08:08:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2016 :  10:53:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by BlueRaincoat

HI Ken

Yogani says that "exercise, both aerobic and muscle toning, should not be done right before yoga practices. Doing them right after sitting practices and rest is good, or at any other time during the day" (quote from the AYP book vol 1, Lesson 80)

Why not do your sitting practise right after getting up, then cycling after that?

This reply is aside from my cycling question, but I have tried this advice since it was given. I've tried doing sitting right when I wake up, but a few things happen: I fall back asleep, I have more trouble maintaining posture, I easily return to dreams, or my mind is too active and I could leave the mantra once and not return until the meditation bell rings. I think it is better to follow the process of DM when my mind is quieter, about 40 minutes after waking.
Go to Top of Page

Mykal K

Germany
266 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2016 :  03:11:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mykal K's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If you cycle, do it away from the cars. Frend of my student died from a lung cancer, I believe it had to do with him riding bikes near the busy streets.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4363 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2016 :  05:45:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kensbikes,

It is fine to exercise as soon as you get up. But it is best to have a break between the exercise and your meditation practice. So you could exercise, take a shower, take a short break, and then begin your practices. Or, as people have mentioned above, exercise after your sitting practices.

Your call.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2016 :  06:13:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ken, my experience is similar to yours: I really have to wake up before I engage in practices. Sleep is a state of mind, yoga/meditation is a very different state of mind, so I really need a transition between them. Usually, I take time to drink a coffe, listen to radio, check some forums, so that my yoga practice starts about 30' after leaving bed.
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2016 :  08:59:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Mykal K

If you cycle, do it away from the cars. Frend of my student died from a lung cancer, I believe it had to do with him riding bikes near the busy streets.

Are in a smaller city in Germany? I have cycled in Lippstadt considerably, and I find the air there quite good, similar to my home in Ann Arbor.
Go to Top of Page

Mykal K

Germany
266 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2016 :  11:33:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mykal K's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, a small something.

I lived previously in Croatia. The guy in question was cycling in the capital (to work and back), so...

If you live somewhere without much traffic, you`re most likely ok.

Follow your nose.

Edited by - Mykal K on Dec 13 2016 1:03:13 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000