AYPsite.org Forum
 Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
 The Forty Rules of Love: A Novel of Rumi
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2015 :  04:19:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
A friend recently shared this book... And it was a blessing... One of the good old books where you start reading but you are unable to stop... It includes modernity and antiquity... A beautiful novel written by someone who knows about the essence of sufism by her contacts with sufies in her homeland Turkey and abroad.

The Forty Rules of Love: A Novel of Rumi
http://www.amazon.com/The-Forty-Rul...p/0143118528

Enjoy

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2015 :  07:22:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I just read it and endorse your recommendation. A must read.

I must say I couldn't quite wrap my head around the Rumi /Shams deep love for each other. Can two men share a deep love that is purely platonic in nature? This kind of love also appears in Guru /disciple relationships and it always leaves me wondering if it extended to a physical expression - would anyone care to shed some light /share their experience ?
I have a deep love for a male friend, a platonic one, but even that creates confusion in me at times

Sey
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2015 :  06:26:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sey,

In Brihadaranyaka Upanishad, it is said that:

"it is not for the sake of the husband that the husband is dear, but for the sake of the Self.
It is not for the sake of the wife that the wife is dear, but for the sake of the Self.
It is not for the sake of the children that the children are dear, but for the sake of the Self. " and so on.

The people we love are "transparent" for us - we see the Self in them, the luminous, eternal Divine. We might do it consciously or unconsciously. We might recognize what we see or not. The experience of seeing the Self is inexpressible, we cannot say why we love the people we love, anything we say takes us farther from the truth. But the sight of the Self has a devastating force - we fall under the law of love gravitation.
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2015 :  03:19:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by SeySorciere

Can two men share a deep love that is purely platonic in nature?

Yes, I do... As for the physical part... You see many disciples expressing that love by massaging the feet or shoulders of the teacher... Or eating his/her hair and the rest of his/her food... Might there be some saliva left of him in there on that food and many other insane stuff best if it's not shared in public right now...

But also, I've noticed many other disciples fall in love with the teacher physically and emotionally... Male and female... Here, it falls on the guru and his method of conduct... I didn't have the physical attraction myself... But I was nuts at a certain time to the extent that if I was asked to do anything... I might have... But thankfully none of that was happening... But I've read of many other teachers who were experiencing freely in this area... Adi Da was an example... All I could say is. There is no black or white in this...

What is certain though is what Blanche has shared... We are truth in love with itself

Namaste
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2015 :  03:32:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Indeed. Unfortunately a lot of time we also see the worst of our self reflected in those closest to us and have the hardest time being tolerant to them.
Closer to what I was trying to express above is when we literally make love to the Divine (experienced by many here, I am sure); it feels very physical. The Divine becomes our Lover. As humans we seem to naturally want to express our Love and Desire in physical form of sex /love-making. And when this become a matter of two men (such as Guru /disciple) it provokes all sorts of barriers in the mind.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2015 :  03:35:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Ananda - looks like we cross posted. My response is to Blanche's input above.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2015 :  07:49:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for sharing, Ananda. It does help to find the guru in ourselves.

Sey , you are right, the mind can make a problem out of anything. Even God/Guru could become a problem in the way to enlightenment Everything could become a challenge, and every challenge could be a chance to progress.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000