Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Modified AYP(replacing mantra with inner sounds)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

uniath

Finland
30 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2015 :  7:09:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi!

Inner sounds kept continuously drawing my attention during meditation so I began using these sounds as an object instead of mantra a few months ago. Now why would I do this? Listening to inner sounds during daily life makes meditation deeper. And on the other hand, deeper meditation = more stillness during daily life. Seems to go hand in hand. Of course, there’s also intuition… I just know that this is the correct path for me. Currently I rarely listen to these sounds outside of meditation, mostly only when taking a walk, as it makes me prone to overload. It’s a gradual process.

I have practiced AYP for six months with no previous spiritual practices, so I’m still taking my baby steps. My practice is currently 10min SBP + 20min DM(inner sounds) + samyama(morning only).

So now that I’m missing the vibration quality of the mantra, is there something else I should take into account? Perhaps regarding to pranayama?

Also, if there’s anyone with similar mantra modifications, I would gladly hear your experiences. Thanks! :)

Edited by - AYPforum on Jan 15 2015 8:12:53 PM

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2015 :  8:12:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2015 :  2:08:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I also listen to inner sounds as I seem to be sensitive to them, however I do it in addition to my mantra meditation as an add-on at the end. Remember that inner sound and mantra are sort of two sides to the same coin. Anyway, I think many of us here tweak the AYP basic lessons just a bit to suit our needs as we go along the path but keeping the basic AYP plan in mind and practice. If you are concerned about how to proceed then perhaps you could add on listening to the inner sounds for a few minutes at the end of your mantra meditation which is when inner silence is most likely to be there and perceiving the inner sounds is easier. OR vise-versa - listen to the sounds and then a few minutes of mantra. Self-pacing in place of course.
Go to Top of Page

adishivayogi

USA
197 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2015 :  8:14:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i listen to the tones while focusing on the crown
Go to Top of Page

uniath

Finland
30 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2015 :  2:04:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your responses. Sorry it took a while(an understatement) to get back to you.

So what I learned from this little experiment is increased crown(and perhaps third eye) activity. This increased energy in head tended to intensify inner sounds, especially during night, which messed with sleeping patterns. On the other hand, meditations were deep, dreams more vivid and wake-induced lucid dreams and OBEs became a commonplace. After establishing the habit of listening to inner sounds during daily life, there was also more stillness present.

Overall it was a valuable experiment. However, I prefer a more balanced(and tested) approach, so back to mantra again :) Inner sounds are indeed a powerful tool, which can be effortlessly used even outside of practices, so I hope to find a balanced way to integrate it to my AYP routine sometime in future.

LittleTurtle:
That’s a valuable advice, a bit more balanced than going all-in with inner sounds. ;) I’ll try it out the next time I introduce inner sounds to my AYP routine.

adishivayogi:
That sounds actually pretty good, as inner sounds tend to cause some activity at the crown. Not the time to work on my crown yet, but I’ll be sure to keep it in mind.
Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2015 :  1:41:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Tested? You are not discovering the inner sounds meditation. Many have used it to achieve samadhi with great results. But spinal breathing + listening to inner soumds is incomplete kriya nor it is ayp. Both kriya (in navi kriya using the om mantra without hands movement, it's different from ayp's Navi kriya) and ayp (deep meditation) use mantra meditation.
Go to Top of Page

uniath

Finland
30 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2015 :  4:30:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Will Power

Tested? You are not discovering the inner sounds meditation. Many have used it to achieve samadhi with great results.

I did not claim to discover inner sounds meditation. But from my subjective perspective mixing AYP and inner sounds is not a ‘tested approach’, and that is what I was referring to. And my subjective perspective is extremely limited.

quote:
Originally posted by Will Power

But spinal breathing + listening to inner soumds is incomplete kriya nor it is ayp. Both kriya (in navi kriya using the om mantra without hands movement, it's different from ayp's Navi kriya) and ayp (deep meditation) use mantra meditation.

I do not see how that is relevant. As far as I understand, there would be no AYP if Yogani hadn’t put the time and effort to test and combine different spiritual tools. Actually, there would be no development in any areas of life if we would be just comfortable with what is.

Please understand, that I am a spiritual newbie with a curious nature. How could I possibly know the effects of meditation on the inner sounds without testing it for myself? I am glad that I tried it out as I learned a lot from it.

I do not believe in the paradigm that one has to follow a specific path for spiritual development. I do believe, however, that they can serve as a roadmap. And from my short experience, AYP is an excellent one at that. But if my inner guru nudges me at a specific direction, I will go there, no matter how ‘incomplete’ that may make my practices. Maybe the most ‘complete’ set of practices is the one we feel most comfortable doing at any given time, even if it defies the common belief that we should follow a specific path.

Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2015 :  08:10:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, I shouldn't have supposed that you knew that AYP is basically a combination of Kriya Yoga and Trascendental Meditation with the AYAM mantra, and if you instead of the Deep meditation practise Original Navi Kriya and inner sounds (nada) meditation, that's very close to the original Kriya Yoga, which has been long tested by many. Anyway, follow your inner guru.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2015 :  10:23:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think the sources of inspiration for AYP were - by Yogani's own account - wider than Kriya Yoga and TM. If I remember correctly, he also included kundalini yoga, bhakti yoga, karma yoga and tantra yoga in the list.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2015 :  12:56:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
One thing that is really relevant is depth. To achieve depth, we have to be persistent and consistent with our technique. Otherwise, we are just dabbling and playing games of novelty. To truly reap the benefits of these practices takes time. There is no other way. And for good reason. I think the design of evolution demands its creatures to be sculpted in such a way as to cultivate qualities of longevity, survival, and endurance. The transient is seeking union with the eternal, whether consciously or not.

So, true, there are many inward ways that lead to the center, but we will never get to the center unless we stick with a set of practices over the long term. When it comes to inner sounds and the mantra, the mantra has a signature vibration that gets refined, and that's why it is favored over any other inner sounds, so that it can be the vehicle for achieving depth. If we try to favor a whole variety of inner sounds, the journey will be much more shallow.

For me, over the past 5 years of favoring the mantra, there has been plenty of scenery, including plenty of the "ego voice" that wants to be heard. That one in particular has to be befriended, and tolerated, and illuminated. In AYP, we don't regard ego as enemy, but rather as the vehicle for enlightenment. Like the mantra, it is a sheath, or vibratory vessel, that is unique and therefore has an important part to play in the game. And whether or not we are using the mantra, the ego will definitely remain for the rest of this life. But the mantra is a good way to purify and open the ego for purposes of ecstatic bliss and an outpouring of divine love.

As Yogani says, enjoy the scenery, but favor the practice, above all!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000