New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2014 :  4:44:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello all,

For the past 4 years, I have run a program called "Heal Your Heart Free Your Soul" at the hospital where I work (I am a cardiologist by trade). It has been well-received, and has been growing every year. The central practices of this program (which is for patients, their families, hospital employees and is open to the general public) are from AYP. These are structured as biweekly 12-session programs that run from fall through spring and end with a weekend retreat. Several AYP folks have attended these retreats over the last few years.

My dear friend and fellow-AYPer, Parallax (who co-led the retreat last year) has graciously agreed to collaborate henceforth on the Heal Your Heart (HYH) program.

We have begun our collaborative efforts with a new initiative called Stillness in Action in honor of our beloved guru Yogani, who has inspired both of us in ways that cannot be expressed in words. Stillness in Action is based upon Yogani's vision of candles lighting other candles, and is the charity arm of HYH. All proceeds from our program (and donations) will be used to fund various charities on a monthly basis. We will be highlighting and contributing to a different charity every month from a list of those that touch us. We plan to highlight specifically those charitable efforts that are small, homegrown and have no help from media or bigger organizations. We will have to see how this evolves.

More on this here: http://healyourheartblog.com/stilln...ble-program/

If there are specific charities you would like to bring to our attention, please email Parallax or me.

Namaste.

kami

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2014 :  5:38:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for sharing. You're a fine leader.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2014 :  6:53:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful, Kami and Parallax!

Kami, you are a wonderful teacher and have done such a great job (and continue to do so, I am always amazed at your energy and willingness to give even tough you are so busy) with the previous groups and have helped so many. Your group has always had so much heart. You (and Parallax) truly do live upto Yogani's vision of candles lighting candles.
Go to Top of Page

Zanyan

USA
54 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2014 :  7:34:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for sharing this information with us, kami.
Go to Top of Page

Anima

484 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2014 :  01:16:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Namaste

It's very good to see this. Thanks to both of you for the last retreat and for making this beautiful charity happen. It all really amazes me and makes me feel very fortunate. Personally, you have both been very kind to me and many others. Thank you.

Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2014 :  07:47:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear kami

Thanks for your abundant energy and free flowing wisdom and stillness in action.
I have been receiving your blog by email for a while and always find it very useful and informative and your new charity venture will no doubt take off because of the energy in the air around what you initiate.

xx
Go to Top of Page

Parallax

USA
347 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2014 :  08:56:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Parallax's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Kami,

Thank you for all of the time and effort you have put into the Heal Your Heart program and for the boundless energy that you put into making this all happen, including the Stillness in Action fund...it is truly inspiring. It was wonderful to share first hand in the retreat last Spring and to get to see all of the lives that you are touching.

And thank you Yogani for being the spark and inspiration behind all of this. Words cannot express the gratitude.

Much Love
Go to Top of Page

Pheel

China
318 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2014 :  09:33:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Pheel's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Kami and Parallax,

Great Collaboration£¡ May Stillness always be in all your actions£¡

Phil
Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2014 :  3:54:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone, for the support and encouragement.

Namaste.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2014 :  02:13:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
amazing efforts dear Kami and Parallax
good to see you back in the forums Kami
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2014 :  1:08:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Kami
The HYH program sounds absolutely wonderful!

Do you by any chance run - or have you considered running - a study alongside it?

I'll explain: I have been thinking about approaching my local NHS (the National Health Service in the UK) organisation, as a program similar to HYH could benefit patients in the UK and relieve some of the pressure on GPs and other parts of the NHS. I believe there is a host of psychosomatic conditions that can be eased, even cured by AYP methods - these conditions drain a lot of resources and the health care budget is already stretched. However, initiatives like these need to be evidence-based to gain support. Do the participants to your HYH group take any kind of tests at regular intervals to check on any health parameters? I appreciate this is not a priority within your program, but I thought I'd ask just in case.

I've only recently started to think about this idea (for one thing, I myself would like to be a bit more advanced before approaching the Clinical Commission Group with a proposal). But it's not too early to start gathering information and beginning to make a case for it. Any tips you can give as a medical professional, for 'selling' the AYP idea to doctors (notably, doctors with no yoga experience) could be extremely useful.

Edited by - BlueRaincoat on Nov 07 2014 1:09:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2014 :  6:14:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi BlueRaincoat:

Kami has indeed been doing research related to the deep meditation classes she has been leading, and also some in a more clinical setting. I believe she is close to publishing some of the research, with more coming in the future.

Here is a short TV interview she did a few years ago on early research: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfqBeekFzV8

I'm sure you and she could find much in common, and I encourage you to get together to see what can be done to increase scientific understanding on both sides of the Atlantic regarding deep meditation and yoga for improving mental and physical health.

Many thanks!

The guru is in you.

PS: Wonderful collaboration on "Stillness in Action," Kami and Parallax.

Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2014 :  7:53:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Sunyata
Go to Top of Page

Parallax

USA
347 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2014 :  8:42:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Parallax's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Heal Your Heart is pleased to announce its first Stillness in Action donation to the Heritage of Healing program. This organization was suggested by a fellow AYPer (thank you Anima) and is a great example of a local charity making a difference in its community. If others are also moved to support the work of Heritage of Healing, contributions can be made by visiting Heritage of Healing’s donation page. If anyone has suggestions for other local charities that you would like to be considered for future Stillness in Action donations, please message Kami or myself.

Heritage of Healing is a 501 (c), volunteer-driven organization that is based in Ypsilanti, Michigan and provides personal and community support to low-income families that are battling cancer. The charity accomplishes this through its Heritage of Healing Relief Program, which provides locally grown produce, nutrition workshops, monthly “Walk for Health” fitness walks, children’s school supplies, winter clothing, gas cards, and Christmas gift cards to needy children and their families while they cope with cancer treatment. Heritage of Healing also makes cancer awareness and prevention a major focus of its service, especially in the American Indian community, where cancer diagnosis is disproportionately high. In addition, the charity also organizes monthly movie nights, craft workshops, and occasional brunches for cancer treatment patients and their families.

The organization aims to provide a robust support network for cancer patients and their families in the Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti area. One of its goals is to eventually provide housing to low-income families with a member who is receiving treatment at the University of Michigan Hospital. The specific goals are laid out on the Heritage of Healing website, which can be found here: http://heritageofhealing.org/about/. They also have a page on Facebook, which can be found here https://www.facebook.com/HeritageofHealing.

The founder of Heritage of Healing, Soshana Philips, has been battling bone marrow cancer since 2006. She is a mother of three children and decided to found the charity out of her own experience, strength, and hope. Soshana’s story can be found here: http://www.freep.com/article/20140622/.

Much Love
Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2014 :  07:14:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Anima, for the recommendation if this lovely cause.

Blueraincoat, as Yogani mentioned, our first manuscript using AYP methods in healthcare is in review. We have a few other projects at different stages of planning using these methods in specific patient populations.

Yogani, thank you for everything.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2201 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2014 :  09:15:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2014 :  8:58:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2014 :  09:41:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That is great news! I look forward to reading the research paper.
I guess you will announce it here Kami when it it published?
Go to Top of Page

Parallax

USA
347 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2014 :  07:48:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Parallax's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
For this month’s Stillness in Action charitable donation, we are donating to and highlighting the work of the NEEV school in India. The NEEV Public School was founded in 2006 in Jharkand, India, with the aim of providing a good quality, ICSE-based English education to underprivileged sections of the society at an affordable cost. The school has been helping kids in rural areas by providing them with a holistic education that nurtures their body, mind, soul and spirit. NEEV seeks to create a nurturing environment where children can go to learn, while also discovering their unique aim and purpose in life.

In the U.S. many take for granted access to public schooling and the educational resources that are available to our children. These resources are not readily available in many parts of the world. In Jharkhand the situation with respect to education is grim, particularly with respect to females. In the East Singhbhum district where NEEV operates, the average literacy rate for girls is a mere 47%. By donating to the school or sponsoring a student, you are helping to create a once in a lifetime opportunity for these children to come out of the degrading circle of poverty and illiteracy, which will not only impact their lives, but the lives of generations to come. When we invest in the future of children, we are investing in the future of the world.

The school itself is only sustainable with sponsorships and donations. If you feel so moved, we encourage you to contribute along side of us to this worthy cause.
Go to Top of Page

Anima

484 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2014 :  11:38:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2014 :  01:46:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wonderful, kami and 'lax
Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2014 :  12:44:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2014 :  12:00:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like a great project to sponsor
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2014 :  12:17:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Kami, Parallax
I have one sponsorship idea that is rather on the obvious side - you might have though of it already.
What about sponsoring AYP itself? I remember I saw a 'Donate' button somewhere (though not very visible), so there must be useful things that can be done with extra funds?
Go to Top of Page

Parallax

USA
347 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2014 :  9:36:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Parallax's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Blue!

Great suggestion!! Interestingly enough, a donation was recently made to AYP to support all of the great work that is going on to keep the many resources on the AYP site freely available and to support continued enhancements to the AYP platform...things like "AYP Plus" which should come online in the second half of 2015.

So if anyone reading this feels inclined, please use this opportunity to donate to AYP as well; I am quite sure the money will be put to good use ensuring that the AYP resources are open and available for many years to come. While there are a tremendous amount of lessons, information and support available on the website for free, there *are* expenses associated with keeping everything up and running. The impact that AYP has had on my life has been beyond anything I could ever hope to repay, and I'd love to see the techniques, practices and resources available to as many as possible, for as long as possible.

Thank you Blue for the suggestion and for your presence here

Much Love
Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2014 :  06:16:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Blueraincoat (lovely color for a raincoat btw ),

Thank you for the suggestion regarding AYP. As Parallax mentioned, we can hardly even begin to repay Yogani for what we have received.. We tend to forget the value of these free lessons and Yogani's unconditional support; donations and book purchases are helpful. And AYP books make superb holiday gifts!

Here is the link to donate to AYP: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....TOPIC_ID=620

Wishing everyone a joyful holiday season!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000