Yoga, Science and Philosophy
 Ghee, ghrta, and gau
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Frank-in-SanDiego

USA
363 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2006 :  3:39:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank-in-SanDiego's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hari Om
~~~~~~~

Hello and Namaste,

While this post starts with ghee, its more then food. If you have interest, read further.

Are you a ghee (clarified butter) user? It is said to improve ojas within the system. That is luster ( ojas at its root is vaj or to be strong) and spiritual energy.

Ghee is also found in the Ved ( Rk Ved) and is part of the symbolic language of the sage’s and seers (rshi) that cognized the truth ( rtam, satyam, brhat – the right, the truth and the vast). A side note: there’s about 400 rshi’s associated in the Rk Ved and ~ 25 of the seers (seers are also called drashtara , or pure consciousness comprehending all objects of knowledge) are woman that contribute immensely to the knowledge of Being. In the Ved, this ghee is called ghrta

Back to Ghee.... in the Ved, Ghee is the symbol for ‘richly luminous thought’. If you use ghee, note the golden hue, and its purity i.e. clarified butter, pure. Like that the kavi ( the seers known as poets) of the Ved uses ghee as the symbol for this pure/clarified thought of the seer.

So where is ghee used? Yes we consume ghee, but it’s also used in homam, or puja, that is, yajya (pronounced Yag-ya), this is an offering of worship. Any one that had the opportunity to be part of a yajya will see the purohita, the Vedic priest, offer this ghee into the fire, that is, into Agni. This is the OUTER expression of what is to being happening on the INNER part of the yajyamana ( that is , the participant/offerer). That is, the offering of richly luminous thought-offering to Agni, the Divine Will.

On the OUTSIDE, we see fire with flames that go up. As the ghee is given to the fire, the offering is taken up, up to the other deva’s (from dev to shine, or celestial beings) On the INSIDE , this offering is to higher levels of consciousness, and to win favor of those that wish to help the sadhaka with his/her development to moksha.
Agni is a friend to the sadhaka and is here assisting one in one’s development. He is key in the Rk Ved, and is called out in the very first line of the Rk Ved , hence this creative impulse/cosmic power is more then the neo-classical definition of fire. The ‘kindling of agni’ within us is something the seers gave lots of attention to i.e. 2000 mantras out of 10,500(ish) are dedicated to Agni.
When the OUTSIDE works with the INSIDE, we have a successful yajya, or adhvara , which means journey – from adhva (path) and ra ( to move). That is, there is COLLABERATION between the cosmic forces (deva’s) and the human (sadhaka) i.e. the universe is here to assist us in our unfoldment; of this[for me] there is no doubt.

So, where does ghee come from? From Cows. Cows, as you know are a big deal in the Indian tradition. Cows are also known as gau,(sounds like go) . We know that cows are revered in India. Cows give society more then it takes – milk, curds, ghee, and when life if complete for them other parts of their body.
So, what’s gau got to do with it? The rishi’s used this symbolism of the cows as rays of consciousness, the luminous cow. And where does the lumination come from you say? From Surya – vedic name for the sun (not the physical sun , yet is known for its brilliance, abundance, light, and the source of all life on te his planet, the outter expression of the Divine). Surya is known as the master of Truth, Creator and increaser.

So, next time you happen to use ghee, perhaps a new perspective will come upon you ( richly luminous thought).

Priya no astu vispathi hota mandro varenya
Priyah svagnayo vayam

May the lord of the people, the priest of call, who is full of delight and adorable be dear to us. May we be endowed with auspicious Agni and be dear to him
Rk Ved 1.26.7

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2006 :  7:20:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much for your post. I've read about ghee a few times before but nothing that specific. I will be sure to give it a try.
Go to Top of Page

Neesha

215 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2006 :  8:24:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey thanks for this post ....it verified something for me

The dewtaa in me couldn't help but smile while reading your post

Namaste
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000