Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Adjusting practice to mood
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jack

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2014 :  1:37:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jack's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

Is there any advice on what to do if life has become quite challenging, mood is low, stress is high in regards to meditation practice?

I.e. I sit at the moment, the mind is stressful, impatient, restless, barely cooperating at all with the instruction to return to pranayama, mantra, etc.

I haven't sat to meditate at all today, first time I can recall since the retreat in May.

Routine is 5 SBP, 15 DM (sri om sri om ayam ayam namah namah), 1 repetition of each samyama sutra, 10-15 minutes rest - always once per day, and twice per day when not working nightshifts.

Is it best to continue with a full practice, trusting that "this too shall pass" whilst perhaps summoning some reserves of courage to take action in life, or best to adjust the sittings somewhat, or?

Silly question, probably.

Thank you.

BillinL.A.

USA
375 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2014 :  2:12:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I vote adjust sittings somewhat.

Anything to honor your personality's current struggle.

I love that aspect of AYP that comes through so many posts on the forum. Where we have to be good to ourselves. We should nurture our personality like its our child.

This is a radically new concept in my sadhana and I struggle with this a lot Jack so don't think its a silly thing at all.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2207 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2014 :  2:13:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Is it best to continue with a full practice, trusting that "this too shall pass" whilst perhaps summoning some reserves of courage to take action in life, or best to adjust the sittings somewhat, or?

Hi Jack

Unless overloading, always keep the practice, if for nothing else but to witness your mind and mood in their contortions, performing for your entertainment. Watch as they flop around for your attention. Separate from them. They are not your true Self after all! The silence and mantra eventually win out.
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2014 :  2:36:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jack - a very relevant question indeed! Modern life (well, at least mine) can be very challenging in terms of shifts (stress -> fatigue -> mood) and I also have similar problems.

I find asanas very, very useful since a good designed asana routine can bring a smooth and efficient transition from daily life to deeper yoga practices like pranayama and meditation.

I have different asana routines, and I chose a routine according to my current mood/shape. For example, if I am tired I choose a restorative routine. When coming home from work, I like the routine suggested in AYP with some little changes due to neck and knee conditions. When I am in good shape, I choose a more active routine with some challenging standing poses.

By adapting the "asana foreplay" I usually enter the sitting part of my practice in a better balanced state of body and mind.

I don't change the sitting parts of my practice (currently 5' SBP, 15' DM, 5' Rest), I really only adapt the asana part. It sometimes happen that I have to reduce the sitting part too, but due to lack of time, not because of low mood or fatigue.

Edited by - Ecdyonurus on Jun 23 2014 4:03:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2207 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2014 :  5:31:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Good advice Ecdyonurus I concur!
Go to Top of Page

Jack

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2014 :  06:42:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jack's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you.

I will introduce a bit more asana practice, perhaps some journalling to help me intellectually prepare for the non-identification with mind.

_/\_
Go to Top of Page

karmic

India
19 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2014 :  07:29:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jack,

On days when I do not feel like sitting at all due to a disturbed and agitated mind, I start by telling myself "let's just sit for a while, I won't practice anything". Then If I see Im able to sit, I again tell myself," lets just see how it feels to close eyes for 4-5 mins and observe, I can always leave the practice if I find it more disturbing"

This way I keep befriending/cajoling my mind at successive steps and most of the time I have found out that Im successful in doing a full session of practice !!!

But personally, I don't force myself into sitting through entire session just for the sake of it.

Amit
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000