Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Deep Meditation Question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2014 :  3:39:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi All,

I've been doing 5 minutes spinal breathing with ujjayi and mulabhanda,15 mins DM,5 mins Samyama and 5 mins rest.

I've been having crawling sensations during DM and it's a distraction. Placing my left hand on the chest or folding my hands in prayer position relives the sensation a little bit.

Also, I meditate with the image of Krishna on my heart (the feeling to do this arose automatically during DM). When fear rises, I notice it in my body and it's followed by my eyes opening. I'm not opening my eyes intentionally. Are these automatic yoga movements? Everyday live is going great. Just curious as to what some of you practitioners think. Is it okay to meditate with prayer pose and image of Krishna? Should I stop doing this or continue with whatever arises.

Thanks for your help

Sunyata

Christi

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2014 :  4:52:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sunyata,

It is normal to get crawling sensations during Deep Meditation. It is nothing to worry about. If you find your attention moving away from the mantra towards the sensations, simply come back to the mantra again. The sensations are caused by the subtle nervous system (sukshma sharira) activating.

The eyes opening is not a common automatic yoga movement (kriya), and I would say it is more likely a reaction to fear. If it happens, just close your eyes again and come back to the meditation procedure. Also, if the desire to hold an image in your mind, or in the body arises, just notice that that desire has arisen, and come back to the mantra again. So we are simply favouring the mantra with our attention over anything else that arises in the mind or body, whether it is a sensation, or a fear, or a bodily movement or a desire or whatever comes up. There are actually an infinite number of things that can come up and which we can become distracted by during meditation. The most important thing is to follow the procedure. Once we begin following the desires of the mind, or reacting to whatever the latest sensation is and modifying our practice according to that, there will simply be no end to the process. By that point, it is not meditation any more.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2014 :  09:53:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Christi:). Your answer helped.

Looks like I'm overloading and need to cut back on spinal breathing. Last night, my body kept getting pulled (physcially) from sleep and couldn't sleep well. Also,felt the sensation someone hit my head with a heavy book ( I would say a brick ) and woke up with a startle this morning. Is this the sukshma sharira activating? Should I cut back on spinal breathing?

I'm also experiencing drilling sensation in the crown(it's not too intense) but a mild sensation.

Sunyata

Edited by - sunyata on Jun 06 2014 12:16:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

ak33

Canada
229 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2014 :  10:57:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Like Christi said, best to follow the procedure. The less you think about your practice and symptoms of overload, the more smooth it will be. If your body is telling you "no this is too much", then cut back of course. But if it is just a reaction to fear I'd say just stick with the procedure.
Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2014 :  11:17:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, that doesn't sound like an overload to me at least not how I experience an overload. For me it is more of an emotional reaction or sensativity to emotional upsets.

You are the judge and I can tell you there is no rush so do what you feel is right.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2014 :  5:43:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by sunyata

Thanks Christi:). Your answer helped.

Looks like I'm overloading and need to cut back on spinal breathing. Last night, my body kept getting pulled (physcially) from sleep and couldn't sleep well. Also,felt the sensation someone hit my head with a heavy book ( I would say a brick ) and woke up with a startle this morning. Is this the sukshma sharira activating? Should I cut back on spinal breathing?

I'm also experiencing drilling sensation in the crown(it's not too intense) but a mild sensation.

Sunyata

Hi Sunyata,

If you are experiencing symptoms which are uncomfortable or painful, then I would say yes, it is time to cut back on practice times to a level where you feel things are going more smoothly. Certainly not sleeping well is no fun. Being hit by an imaginary brick is also not much fun either, so both of those would be signs to me to cut back a bit. The drilling sensation in the crown is a symptom of the crown activating.

And yes, it is all the subtle body activating and coming to life. There are good things that happen too over the long term, which far outweigh these little bumps in the road ...

Christi
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2014 :  10:14:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't practice yesterday..feeling much better today. I'll do 2 min SB and 10 min DM to see how it feels today.
Thanks again Christi.
quote:
There are good things that happen too over the long term, which far outweigh these little bumps in the road ...

Thanks ak33 and jonesboy

Edited by - sunyata on Jun 07 2014 10:17:32 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000