Yoga, Science and Philosophy
 Soma=melatonin?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tamasaburo

USA
136 Posts

Posted - May 25 2014 :  8:35:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24251673

I had read before that the intestines create serotonin, but this is the first time I read that they also secrete melatonin, which, as it happens, is also secreted by the pineal gland. What's more, apparently fasting increases intestinal production of melatonin.

The only times I've felt the "minty" feeling in my stomach have been near the beginning of a fast, and at night, which would seem like good times for that intestinal melatonin production to ramp up.

Of course, many have associated the pineal gland with the third eye and other spiritual qualities, so the fact that both the pineal gland and the intestines secrete melatonin, and the fact that fasting can, at least for me, create the "minty" feeling would seem to support the idea that melatonin may be a key player in the "nectar cycle."

Edited by - tamasaburo on May 25 2014 8:35:52 PM

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - May 26 2014 :  1:17:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe. I don't find melatonin to be ecstatic but rather drowsy. But we have so much to understand many mysteries to go!
Go to Top of Page

tamasaburo

USA
136 Posts

Posted - May 26 2014 :  2:52:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, certainly taking melatonin as a supplement tends to make people sleepy, but apparently it is closely related to the super-psychadelic substance, DMT, also produced by the pineal gland, which, when taken as a drug, is supposed to give people ecstatic, colorful visions. The chemical interactions of the body are so complex that it wouldn't surprise me if more melatonin in your intestines somehow resulted in an upregulation of DMT or similar substances somewhere along the line (could also explain the apparent interaction of the third eye and gut in the "nectar cycle").

Of course, all these processes are super complex, and concepts like "amrit" and "soma" are, in some sense, simplified heuristics to help us understand a very involved process. Therefore, the likelihood we could say that amrit=serotonin or soma=DMT is very unlikely, as the concepts will not map so neatly onto one particular molecule or hormone.

But it's still interesting to think about as a step toward understanding the physiological bases of spiritual transformation.

Edited by - tamasaburo on May 26 2014 2:59:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - May 26 2014 :  9:54:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You're on point with that.

I would love to hook myself up to a continuous iv with continuous hormone readings so I could map all this out but that technology would require major $$

Maybe if we ever have some billionaire aypers we can get a study going.
Go to Top of Page

adishivayogi

USA
197 Posts

Posted - May 28 2014 :  11:41:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think soma is cerebral spinal fluid that over saturates the spine
Go to Top of Page

tamasaburo

USA
136 Posts

Posted - May 28 2014 :  6:33:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by adishivayogi

But soma is a minty feeling in the gut, no? Maybe it is perceived to travel up the spine? But it seems like its origin is in the intestines?
Go to Top of Page

adishivayogi

USA
197 Posts

Posted - May 31 2014 :  4:03:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure. I'm referring to nectar and I'm not sure what I taste is nectar. But I taste a chemically taste lately that numbs my mouth tongue . This is co insiding with heavy overloads.
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2014 :  08:08:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by tamasaburo

quote:
Originally posted by adishivayogi

But soma is a minty feeling in the gut, no? Maybe it is perceived to travel up the spine? But it seems like its origin is in the intestines?

Were well into subjective territory here but soma usually refers to nectar which moves throughout the inside and outside of the body.
Go to Top of Page

Govinda

USA
176 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2014 :  09:47:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by tamasaburo

Well, certainly taking melatonin as a supplement tends to make people sleepy, but apparently it is closely related to the super-psychadelic substance, DMT, also produced by the pineal gland, which, when taken as a drug, is supposed to give people ecstatic, colorful visions. The chemical interactions of the body are so complex that it wouldn't surprise me if more melatonin in your intestines somehow resulted in an upregulation of DMT or similar substances somewhere along the line (could also explain the apparent interaction of the third eye and gut in the "nectar cycle").

Namaste, tamasaburo.

Interesting topic. DMT, like most tryptamine or phenethylamine varieties of entheogens, primarily stimulate the serotonin receptors and secondarily, the dopamine receptors within the human brain. Melatonin must come into play, surely, as with regard to dream states. It's role in regulation of hormones and energy transmission between the brains inner glandular correlation is paramount.

But meletonin doesn't specifically trigger the explosion of conscious-awareness brought on by the psychedelic experience. I suspect there are many complex influences at play? Modern science will soon illuminate many of these changes in brain wave patterns and chemical releases,whihc alter and enhance human awareness.

When objectively viewing the specific molecular structure of a serotonin molecule, one is struck by how closely and symmetrically the "magic mushroom's" active compound, psylocybin, mirrors this chemical structure, nearly identically at that (as does NN-DMT and to some evident extent, LSD-25).

And yes, there is a definite interrelationship between these substances and the activation of the Third Eye, however, it is exogenous and is consumed, rather than attained. endogenous releases are more valuable for the earnest seeker, as the levels are ascended in a more natural pace and once accessed, are less likely to vanish when the stimulation form an exterior source wears off.

Not surprising, as the higher Yogic techniques, likewise, stimulate the pineal gland and if one studies the dynamics of pranayama, there is a close relationship between the breath/prana and the release of certain chemicals in the brain, as the human body produces DMT primarily within the lungs, more than any other physical location.

But it is when the Ajna (in conjunction with the material pineal gland) is stimulated and activated, that the mind-expansion and visions bloom freely. But I am convinced that the ascension of the human soul is most naturally meant to evolve through spiritual practices, not external chemical stimulation.
quote:
Of course, all these processes are super complex, and concepts like "amrit" and "soma" are, in some sense, simplified heuristics to help us understand a very involved process. Therefore, the likelihood we could say that amrit=serotonin or soma=DMT is very unlikely, as the concepts will not map so neatly onto one particular molecule or hormone.

But it's still interesting to think about as a step toward understanding the physiological bases of spiritual transformation.

In my experience and degree of understanding, I feel that Soma is an external imbibement derived form plant sources and contains the psychoactive compounds responsible for shamanic and religious states of Divine rapture. And Amrita is the nectar resultant of steady and devoted Sadhana and attention towards deep meditation.

Yet, on many significant levels, they are the very same, however, the source and speed of actualization is quite different. For when one imbibes a psychedelic substance, externally, the swift bloom in consciousness is IMHO, far too sudden and the resultant expansion is often dangerous for the seeker. Too much too soon? And conversely, the other parallel is purely cultivated after many years of regular, deep meditation practice, cultivated gradually and incrementally from within.

"Slow and steady wins the race", whereas fast and uncontrolled methods often but not always lead to overload... and in many cases, towards damage to the subtle nerves involved. Why attempt sprint full throttle, when one can barely stand up steadily and attempt to walk? All good things come of themselves, with the Sacred practice and the bestowal of Grace.

Hari Om Tat Sat

Edited by - Govinda on Jun 07 2014 7:07:32 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000