New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - May 21 2009 :  4:31:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, very awesome
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  03:58:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wake up and Roar. vol. 1,2.

satsang with Papaji (a student of Ramana Maharshi and the teacher of people like Gangaji and Mooji)

you know how some books have a certain vibe, and you feel like it's nourishment for the soul well this book have tons of That (everything concerning papaji even after him leaving the body radiates with that; it's Self reaching towards the Self)

a great helpful read for those who are interested in self inquiry.

A
Go to Top of Page

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  05:37:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have several books going at once. just looking at my windowsill i have Yogananda's Second Coming of Christ, Osho on Patanjali's yoga sutra, the big AYP book, Robert Anton Wilson's Sex, Drugs and Magick, Die to Live by Maharaj Charan Singh, How God Changes the Brain by Andrew Newberg, a commentary on the Quran, and i am reading a PDF called The Crown of Life by Kirpal Singh.

I probably have about 400 books in my collection. Just some years of buying whenever i could. I am at a loss at what to do about them all. It is not very nice having so many possessions. I could find myself moving to a tiny flat in the future and i'm sure there won't be enough space. But if i had to get rid of most of the books i have i would definitely keep the big AYP book. That one i know.
Go to Top of Page

thibaud05

France
86 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  06:42:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"Teachings of Ma Ananda Moyi"

If you're like me, we have both figured out that the teaching of a cosmic avatar in such a lovely body-form has great appeal. I find it so blissful to surrender to Goddess Herself.
Go to Top of Page

Buffle37

Switzerland
79 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  04:39:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Buffle37's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all
Such an interesting thread

I can add :
http://www.amazon.com/Pilgrims-Tale...43652&sr=1-7
An amazing book I read when I was 14, and I never forget.
To discover Orthodox mysticism and the prayer of the heart.

If you want a marvelous romance of love and spiritual quest in the old Thibet written by a native thibetan:
http://www.amazon.com/Mipam-Tibetan...7811&sr=1-1#

and of course all Alexandra David-Neel’s books.

http://www.amazon.com/Krishnamurtis...7947&sr=1-13
Krisnaji had such an influence on me when I was in my thirties that his teachings lead me to the border line of total despair. Yet I recommand these book, the K-Notebook his a daily record of his perceptions and states of consciousness written by K. for seven months and a first hand testimonial of the life of this mysterious man.

Autobiography of a Yogi
The gospel of Ramakrishna
These books are a must for the spiritual seekers and have already be mentionned in this thread, I can add :
The life of Ramakrishna by Romain Roland
Unfortunately it seems to be out of print in english perhaps you cand find it in a library .

Didier
Go to Top of Page

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  09:55:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Buffle,

Did you ever meet Krishnamurti? As you say, a mysterious man..

Love the Gospel of Ramakrishna. I'm sure the Romain Roland version would be available from a Vedanta ashram.

Autobiography of a Yogi got me on the yoga path. Undoubtedly one of the best books of all time.
Go to Top of Page

Buffle37

Switzerland
79 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  2:24:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Buffle37's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Gumpi
I had no personnal interwiew with K. but many time I took the road from Geneva to Saanen to attend his lectures.
K. enter the huge tent where thousands of people are waiting and suddently there is an tremendous silence.The little man seat on the platform, on a little chair, without any decorum, wihout any applaus, then during a few minutes he looks intensely the audience without any word, then begins to speak : extraordinary words wich destroy without pity all beliefs, all the creations of the mind leaving you alone face to the unknown you are unable to enter.
The audience listen without understanding and here we have a lonely man than nobody can
follow.
In the middle of the lecture a noisy train enter Saanen’station , K.stops to speak and there is only the noise of the train in the silence.
I read somewhere in the writings of K that when he enters the tent he does not know what he will say and I wonder if he was some kind of a medium .The theosophists believed he was the human vehicule of a Great one (Lord Maitreya ?)
It remains a mystery
Go to Top of Page

Metta

Sweden
24 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  3:20:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Metta's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all,

I have not seen any mention Jon Kabat-Zinn and his books. Any of you read any of his book(s)?
Go to Top of Page

machi

Belgium
35 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2009 :  05:23:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit machi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I just finished Albert Low's The Origin of Human Nature: A Zen Buddhist Looks at Evolution. I found it quite a good book, and quite daring to write a book on a topic that is considered "scientific territory" - he has no scientific education. However, his approach to illustrate the origin of creativity and how it creates itself is very straightforward. I think that many people who acknowledge transcendentalism will agree with most - if not all - points in the book. Hardcore materialists will give up after a few pages, as soon as they see the word "transcendental"...
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2009 :  10:26:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Reading Adyashanti's "The end of your world" and the devilish, evil design of this journey is exactly what I was afraid of and sort of already knew... and even worse in some parts that I hadn't thought of... he's just pointing it out very clearly! sh*t bad news. But a good book. Read it and drop your illusions about the beautiful spiritual journey!

Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2009 :  10:39:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Am reading "Insight Dialogue" by Greg Kramer, as well as "Emptiness Dancing" by Adyashanti (again) as well as "Diet, Shatkarmas and Amaroli" by Yogani, as well as "Yoga Anatomy" by Leslie Kaminoff. Quite enjoying the Insight Dialogue book.....a very amazingly complimentary practice to the AYP system.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2009 :  11:31:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by emc

Reading Adyashanti's "The end of your world" and the devilish, evil design of this journey is exactly what I was afraid of and sort of already knew... and even worse in some parts that I hadn't thought of... he's just pointing it out very clearly! sh*t bad news. But a good book. Read it and drop your illusions about the beautiful spiritual journey!

Hi emc:

I may have recommended this book to you some time back. It should be pointed out that Adyashanti is speaking to an audience he is familiar with: his students and others who come to enlightenment being strong on self-inquiry and weak on meditation. Throw in a few strong doses of guru shaktipat for good measure. The result can be quite a lot of chaos, often with little abiding inner silence to absorb it with.

So I would not say that "The End of Your World" is representative of what people will experience with the AYP approach. Rather, it is the kind of unfoldment one might experience if the cart gets in front of the horse. It is an excellent book for that, and I highly recommend it to anyone who feels that they are getting ahead of themselves, for any reason whatsoever. It can serve as a reminder of the importance of daily deep meditation, and a more self-paced approach in general.

Keep in mind that real enlightenment is unending ecstatic bliss and unifying outpouring divine love. All the rest is scenery, as is the enlightenment itself. Nothing going on here at all, but love.

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

Parallax

USA
347 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2009 :  9:47:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Parallax's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by yogani

So I would not say that "The End of Your World" is representative of what people will experience with the AYP approach.

Keep in mind that real enlightenment is unending ecstatic bliss and unifying outpouring divine love. All the rest is scenery, as is the enlightenment itself. Nothing going on here at all, but love.

The gratitude for your teachings and the AYP system are running very strong with me today...such an amazing gift...
Go to Top of Page

Parallax

USA
347 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2009 :  9:57:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Parallax's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm through all of the AYP books, and recently re-read Secrets of Wilder, DM and SBP...

Just got Mantra & Meditation; LayaYoga The Definitive Guide to the Chakras and Kundalini; Chakras: Energy Centers of Transformation; and The Secrets of Prana, Pranayama & Yoga Asanas...all from the Extended Booklist...

So far Mantra & Meditation is pretty good...

Anyone else sampled books from the Extended Booklist? Any suggestions?

Peace, Love & Happiness

Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2009 :  12:25:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Paul Brunton books are good...
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2009 :  9:14:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
just finished "a moment of truth" now my mom is reading it and cant put it down. I like it a lot.
brother Neil
Go to Top of Page

takeitez

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2009 :  12:15:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit takeitez's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing at the moment, I'm kinda new to yoga. I'm looking to pick up some good reading!!
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2009 :  2:59:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
for those who enjoyed reading Autobiography of a yogi i suggest "Living with the himalayan masters" by Swami Rama which is really good.

and i think that it's fair to say that Swami Rama was a very controversial guru and IMHO was very advanced spiritually but didn't melt his ego into the heart area which means that he wasn't enlightened.

but of course this is my own opinion and i might be wrong as you know.

namaste
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2009 :  3:04:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"Spiritual Stories as told by Sri Ramana Maharishi" is another good book which i am reading now.
Go to Top of Page

stevenbhow

Japan
352 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2009 :  6:53:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit stevenbhow's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The Doctrine of Vibrations by Mark Dyczkowski.
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2009 :  06:12:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"The Four Agreements" by Don Miguel Ruiz.

a plain and simple book that teaches how to establish a good and aware conduct.

it's very beneficial as a gift for someone who is new into mindful conduct.
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  1:50:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"Real love" by Greg Baer. Good combination with "loving what it is" by byron Katie.
Very useful books for dissolve your mind in stillness and learning how to deal better with relationships.

Also im rereading "autobiography of swami sivananda".The book radiates a special warm golden light.Love it also.

Yoganis self inquiry (3th time) also,but more slowly.

Edited by - miguel on Jan 11 2010 2:22:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2010 :  2:34:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Im gonna read "the spell of the sensorious" by Abrams,"ramana maharshi and the path of knowledge" and "The gnostic gospel of st.thomas" by tau malachi.Im lucky cz there are 3 books by malachi translated to spanish.This gospel of tomas seems to be really amazing book.

I think im gonna enjoy a lot.

Edited by - miguel on Feb 07 2010 2:52:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

wigswest

USA
115 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  8:54:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Right now, "start where you are" by pema chodron, and "The Yoga of Sound" by Russill Paul. Both quite good so far :)

Miguel, I've read "The gnostic gospel of St. Thomas"; it is indeed well worth reading :)
Go to Top of Page

amoux

United Kingdom
266 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2010 :  08:55:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Khalil Gibran: The Collected Works
The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz.

Can't really get in to either of them, so I'm alternating
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000