Tantra - A Holistic View of Spiritual Development
 Sexual Drive
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ak33

Canada
229 Posts

Posted - May 08 2013 :  1:45:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hey guys,

This has been bothering me for awhile so I wanted to ask you about it. As I am an 18 year old, my sexual drive is obviously active, has been even before I started my practices. However, now that I am abstaining from masturbation (by will and not force), my sexual drive goes through the roof. These feelings are often associated with depressive emotions, I don't really know why. Note: I don't feel a strong urge to masturbate, so I'm not really suppressing anything. Can anyone help?

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - May 08 2013 :  4:01:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ak33, if it helps, have a look at the first 2 paragraphs of Lesson T5.

There's also the first part of T39: "In yoga, ejaculation is mostly foe, but we are not fanatical about it in the lessons. Occasional ejaculation is not a serious barrier to yoga. Frequent ejaculation is. This is not a moral judgment. It is just a fact of prana/energy management."

The tantric elements go together alongside the main sitting practices, and those take time to unfold.

Probably a lot depends on the person. On this end, brahmacharya has been a bad struggle since I kept testing and exceeding its limits, with resulting pain, exhaustion, loss of proper sleep, and if making use of the extra energy excessively even depletion to the point of depressive symptoms. On a medical test, one main hormone did indeed score above the normal range, so there's no saying it's psychosomatic. The perseverance has been paying off, and things are not nearly so bad, but with constant management and oversight. Age does makes a difference too, so things do get better with time. I also think the sitting practices have an immediate balancing effect, since much of the difficulty with brahmacharya & tantra was prior to finding AYP.

There was a saying from another system that really appealed to me. It basically said the quantity of jing (dense form of prana and sex hormones) we are born with is always more than enough to serve towards a higher purpose, and so it does not matter whether we have little or a lot as long as we protect what is available.

So it seems like you're doing just fine. Ease back or press forward as necessary.
Go to Top of Page

Mykal K

Germany
266 Posts

Posted - May 09 2013 :  06:12:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mykal K's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi ak33,

If you have used masturbation to escape from depression, it could be that you feel it more now that you are abstaining. Only you know if this was the case with you.
It could also be that the depression itself is causing sexual feelings, it could be something similar to like when you study something intensely, it activates sex drive. I haven't been depressed for awhile so I do not remember where I felt it, but I am sure that it did activate sexual thoughts/feelings.
Anyway, if you feel up to it, look into depression and find a cause for it. Sexual impulses should fade away in time if you do not fret about them too much. If you are into zen, you could apply 'all things pass' on your feelings, but only if it strikes a chord with you.
All of this depends on where you are.

Mykal K
Go to Top of Page

Vimala

France
80 Posts

Posted - May 09 2013 :  11:07:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by ak33

These feelings are often associated with depressive emotions, I don't really know why. Note: I don't feel a strong urge to masturbate, so I'm not really suppressing anything. Can anyone help?

Hi,

the depressive emotions are associated with this springtime and they target every man who is without a sexual partner.
So, it's not really about abstaining from masturbation. Rather it's the physiological need to find a partner and make children...

You can handle this only through meditation
Go to Top of Page

Jack

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - May 10 2013 :  08:00:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jack's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Vimala
Hi,

the depressive emotions are associated with this springtime and they target every man who is without a sexual partner.
So, it's not really about abstaining from masturbation. Rather it's the physiological need to find a partner and make children...

You can handle this only through meditation

ZING! My partner is half-way across the world, it has been a few months, I'm struggling through the same and noticing every half-attractive looking woman!

I attempt to abstain from masturbation and have found this much more challenging since the season has started shifting.
Go to Top of Page

ak33

Canada
229 Posts

Posted - May 10 2013 :  4:42:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, as crazy as that sounds I CAN relate to it. It seems to be intensifying here as well. The question is: WHAT DOES ONE DO
Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - May 11 2013 :  5:29:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi ak33

I've found that fasting for a whole day - just drinking water and tea (I can't do water only I'm not that much of a masochist!) really curbs your sexual drive.

I guess putting your body into shock puts food as a priority, reproducing comes second. Clever body!

Edited by - woosa on May 11 2013 8:55:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

ak33

Canada
229 Posts

Posted - May 11 2013 :  9:38:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Haha yeah I've tried a water fast and now that I recall that does happen. However, wouldn't the effect only be temporary?
Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - May 12 2013 :  07:51:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi

Yeah it probably would be temporary (I hope ), how long it takes to return will depend on the individual. I fast once or twice a week, so I haven't really given myself a chance of seeing if horny old goat syndrome comes back with a vengeance. I seem to like fasting too much - I actually look forward to fasting days. Weirdo. I think I'm just too lazy to go shopping and cook.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - May 12 2013 :  09:18:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I think I'm just too lazy to go shopping and cook.

aha
Go to Top of Page

adinatha

USA
11 Posts

Posted - May 18 2013 :  7:39:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just continue pranayama and meditation. The energy will diffuse from the gathering place in the loins throughout your nadis.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000