Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Is it correct to say "You are not your thoughts?"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pulgasari

Korea
16 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2013 :  06:41:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Is it correct to say; You are not your thoughts or are our thoughts part of us just like the waves are part of the ocean?

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2013 :  07:00:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Does it matter ?

Its a sticky slope. Everything that you experience is a thought. You have thoughts about thoughts. Are you then just a thought created by a thought ?.

That's the problem. Its like a snake eating its tail. The method of inquiry is thought and what is inquired into is thought.

Its best to develop a level of stillness through meditation and then there is no need to ponder that question. That stillness will work its way out into everyday life.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2013 :  07:02:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Pulagsari,

In the beginning it is best to concentrate on yoga practices in order to develop concentration and inner silence. Once inner silence has been cultivated it is then possible to begin to question the relationship between yourself and your thoughts. Many teachers will say that you are not your thoughts, as you are aware of your thoughts. It is a technique, or method which is useful in the intermediate stage of spiritual practice in order to help cultivate the witness.

Beyond the witness, the mind expands and you will come to know yourself to be all of life. As you say, thoughts are just waves, but they are still a part of the ocean. By this point we know ourselves to be the ocean, and are not troubled by the waves on the surface.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Goodway

USA
99 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2013 :  07:04:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by pulgasari

Is it correct to say; You are not your thoughts or are our thoughts part of us just like the waves are part of the ocean?

You said the same thing twice.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2013 :  5:18:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I like the second metaphor: waves on the ocean. The first statement can lead to a non-duality trap of denying the world (including the denial of thoughts, which help perceive and understand the world). I had a thought this morning to brush my teeth. If I outright believe that all thoughts are untrue (or "not me"), I might have some dental hygiene trouble. You dig?

Layers of manifestation brimming from the non-manifest...becoming One. Which is which, and who is who? Only answer to the question is a surrender to the mystery of becoming, becoming, becoming...always becoming. Be still and know.
Go to Top of Page

Wolfgang

Germany
470 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2013 :  11:49:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wolfgang's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by pulgasari

My understanding of this is:
Yes, I am not my thoughts
and Yes my thoughts are part of me.

my 2cts (or may be its more than 2 cents worth
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000