Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Meditation and caffeine
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vantojo

Argentina
10 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2013 :  07:28:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message

What is the teaching on using caffeine before deep meditation...for a person with a slow metabolism (me), is this a good idea, to keep from falling asleep?

Actually, I don't drink coffee or even black tea (very often). I drink yerba mate, a very common tea/herb from South America...it seems to affect the nervous system differently than coffee, but it is a stiumlant.

mathurs

United Kingdom
197 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2013 :  10:39:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Vantojo,
Welcome to the forums!
You certainly avoid eating before meditation. I would advise not to drink any stimulating drinks either before meditating- leave a gap of at least 30 mins to one hour before.
Go to Top of Page

Arman

Australia
47 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2013 :  04:57:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Vantajo. Do you perform asanas? When I do the ayp asana started kit before deep meditation, I feel much more awake. Sometimes I will feel very groggy and sleepy in the afternoon and my sitting practices start to look like a real chore, but once I do my asanas; I feel much more awake. I had this particular experience today.

I also read today that drinking a cold glass of water before meditation can help keep you awake. I'm not sure how accurate this is and I am also not sure of how much drinking water before DM may distract you because of the digestion process.
Go to Top of Page

vantojo

Argentina
10 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2013 :  12:43:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, perhaps a bit of water or light exercise might help. thank you
Go to Top of Page

crazymandrew

USA
121 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2013 :  03:22:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit crazymandrew's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm actually the total opposite. I'm a very hyper person. Kava Kava is great for helping focus on meditation.

I only use kava once or twice a week though.
Go to Top of Page

Namath

350 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2013 :  3:35:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by vantojo

What is the teaching on using caffeine before deep meditation...for a person with a slow metabolism (me), is this a good idea, to keep from falling asleep?

I drink yerba mate, a very common tea/herb from South America...it seems to affect the nervous system differently than coffee, but it is a stiumlant.

I love Mate drink...but I don't recommend with AYP practices.

All the best.

Edited by - Namath on Feb 04 2013 3:40:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

Timo

Germany
7 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2022 :  08:37:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by mathurs

Hello Vantojo,
Welcome to the forums!
You certainly avoid eating before meditation. I would advise not to drink any stimulating drinks either before meditating- leave a gap of at least 30 mins to one hour before.

why do you advise this? I drink coffee before my sessions which has a very good effect... do you think for the better overall progress I should stop it? And why?
Go to Top of Page

interpaul

USA
524 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2022 :  8:13:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Timo, Eating before meditation isn't ideal. Food in the belly definitely interferes with the process for me, especially if you do any of the practices such as navi kriya, yoni mudra kumbhaka or dynamic chin pumps. With respect to coffee, separate from the liquid in the belly being an issue, using a stimulant before meditation will likely backfire over time. It's a bit like depending on sleeping pills to go to sleep. They can help you fall asleep but they ultimately reduce the quality of the sleep. Much of what happens as your meditation practice deepens is you go into more and more subtle energetic spaces and this will likely be affected by a stimulant. As your practice matures you will benefit from ample energy eliminating any need for the coffee.
Go to Top of Page

Timo

Germany
7 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2022 :  4:19:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by interpaul

Timo, Eating before meditation isn't ideal. Food in the belly definitely interferes with the process for me, especially if you do any of the practices such as navi kriya, yoni mudra kumbhaka or dynamic chin pumps. With respect to coffee, separate from the liquid in the belly being an issue, using a stimulant before meditation will likely backfire over time. It's a bit like depending on sleeping pills to go to sleep. They can help you fall asleep but they ultimately reduce the quality of the sleep. Much of what happens as your meditation practice deepens is you go into more and more subtle energetic spaces and this will likely be affected by a stimulant. As your practice matures you will benefit from ample energy eliminating any need for the coffee.

Thank you for your respond.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000