New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ichigo

Israel
66 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2012 :  08:52:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

In deep meditation, doing repetitions of mantra..

When it comes to the mantra AYAM,
Is it valid enough to pronounce it like:
AY - EYE
YAM - EM as in saying the letter "M"? like HAM

And about the Mantra OM/AUM, I noticed that many pronounce it in a different way like:

1. AUM - Emphases on the AU as in ROOM, and the m is just nasal. here is an audio: http://upload.wikime...9/94/Om_pro.ogg

2. OM - as in the word "Report"

Which is correct?

Not talking about the long chanting version of this mantra like:

AAHHHHH - UUUUUUUU - MMMMMMM

Thanks..

Edited by - Ichigo on Oct 20 2012 3:28:40 PM

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2012 :  3:34:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ichigo

I would just say the mantra in a way that is the most easiest for you.

AYAM is said slightly differently with my 'spiffing' British accent to the American accent. If I tried to say AYAM the American way I would find it awkward.

With regards to OM I just say it OM. Like you would say 'an' or 'in'. Short - no hanging on to the M or anything else. As you go deeper into your session the mantra will change slightly anyway. Just go with it.

I don't think you need to look into so much detail about the pronunciation. Just say it in a way that comes naturally to you, and above all else is easy!

Maybe I'm wrong with what I have just said, but it's been working for me. Maybe someone else will give their opinion.

All the best!
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2012 :  4:05:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ichigo,

If you want the Sanskrit pronunciation, then AYAM is AY like the English I (first person singular), and AM like the English word am. OM is the same as Om in Omlet.

As Woosa says, it will change anyway as you use it and it becomes more subtle, so it is really no big deal.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2012 :  11:41:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Christi

OM is the same as Om in Omlet.

I think this depends on your accent. The above would not (generally) be correct in Canada.

Love,
Carson

Go to Top of Page

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2012 :  12:03:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
When I say OM...sounds like hOMe...just makes sense to me...
...don't really think it matters though...different individuals resonate to different sounds/religions/foods...etc

Edited by - machart on Oct 21 2012 12:17:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2012 :  03:45:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi

quote:
Originally posted by Christi

OM is the same as Om in Omlet.

I think this depends on your accent. The above would not (generally) be correct in Canada.

Love,
Carson

O.K. I can see the problem.

Try OM = O which is a short O as in "from" or "bomb", and M as in "mother". Does that work in Canadian?

Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2012 :  06:33:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I think this depends on your accent. The above would not (generally) be correct in Canada

Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2012 :  07:02:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hehehe we've created some work for ourselves here.

I'm trying to think of words that have OM in them that would sound the same with American/Canadian/British accent. But I'm pretty stuck.

OMinous !?

I would swear in frustration, but I'd better not. Instead I will put a and !@?*

(I think this is the reason that Yogani didn't go into details about the pronunciation)

Edited by - woosa on Oct 21 2012 07:11:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2012 :  07:19:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

O.K. I can see the problem.

Try OM = O which is a short O as in "from" or "bomb", and M as in "mother". Does that work in Canadian?

Just found this site

http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=om

Move your cursor over OM and it is pronounced both ways (by a man who sounds like he has a cold). If you click on it it goes all crazy and turns into a techno remix.

Edited by - woosa on Oct 21 2012 07:20:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2012 :  2:49:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Woosa,

That site is really useful because it gives the correct pronunciation of omlet:

http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=omlet

I couldn't make the techno remix thing work.

Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2012 :  3:01:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all,

Just to elaborate a little on the pronunciation of the word Om, it is a Sanskrit mantra which is also the sound of the creation of the universe. It is often referred to as Omkara, or Aumkara, the syllable of Om.

In deep states of meditation the sound can be heard emanating from everywhere in the universe as creation is happening. It is a continuous sound, without end which sounds like a thousand people all chanting Om at the same time. This is why there are sometimes disputes as to how the mantra is to be pronounced, some saying that it has one syllable, others saying it has three: A-U-M.

As a continuous sound it cannot have either three syllables or one, so the dispute can never be resolved.

The Sanskrit in this youtube video is fine and Om is the first word:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0Ia...feature=fvst

This one really does take off into a techno remix (well, nearly) - the future of yoga.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Rinaldo

Italy
47 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2012 :  04:26:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
i write from Italy, i started today my practice. I read some topics abaout pronunciation, i understand it's not very important, but still if i say I Am like in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCGpbBt7vx0

I feel and see the two words separate and more "masculine".

If instead i use this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njGn...ture=related

It's more like one word and i feel it more "famale", more relaxing.

The first one is the english I AM? the secondo one the Sanskrit AYAM?
Should i see and feel I and Am separate?

Thank, Grazie^^
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2012 :  08:42:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go with what feels natural now and be open to let it change as you keep going. It will change a lot over time.
And it's OK to think about all this after practices, but try not to analyze how the mantra sounds during your practice...allow the mantra to lead you... not you lead the mantra.

http://www.aypsite.org/355.html
Q2 (2nd practitioner): The mantra disappears during practice for sure, but it is the refining of the mantra that I think I may be lacking. Is the refining a process of clear mental pronunciation to a more subtle sound? Is it like going from a low note to a high note?

A2: Yes, during deep meditation the mantra naturally goes from clear pronunciation to subtle sound in the mind. It is not a matter of pitch (high or low), but degree of clarity. Pitch can be anything, whether the mantra is clear or fuzzy. This is not something we can regulate. We can only allow it. "Letting" versus "controlling." Then this creeps out into our daily living, making life more harmonious and fluid. We may or may not notice effects in our daily life right away, but they are there. Not to fret much over it. Just let it happen. The more we are able to allow that natural refinement during deep meditation, the more we will be able to allow it in daily living. It is the habit of rising inner silence. There is a direct relationship.

In deep meditation practice, disappearing mantra is good. Then when we realize we have gone off the mantra, we ease back to it. We may be experiencing thoughts very clearly in the mind. In that case, the mantra will be a clear pronunciation. Or we may be very floaty and fuzzy. In that case, we ease back to the mantra in that mode of floaty fuzziness. Or we may be in stillness, barely aware we have gone off the mantra. In that case we favor the mantra as stillness itself. That last one may seem to be a paradox -- favoring something in nothing. But that is what it is. This is all we have to do – come back to the mantra wherever we are, rather than forcing pronunciation to be somewhere else, either clearer or fuzzier. Letting it go will usually lead to more fuzziness, but not always. Purification occurring in the nervous system can lead anywhere. We just allow whatever happens, and ride it wherever it goes, easing back to the mantra wherever we find ourselves. Nothing more for us to do.
Go to Top of Page

Rinaldo

Italy
47 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2012 :  09:03:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Shanti,
ok, i'll go with what i feel more natural^^
anyway, can you tell me if in the first video is the english pronunciation of I am? because in italy we read letters in a different way, so i was curious^^ and even if i can write in english i never speak it :P
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2012 :  09:40:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes.. the first one sounds good...it was powerful - though don't get used to listening to it (not saying you will, but this is for others who may be reading along)... else you will find yourself singing the mantra like that in meditation as well... we want to let the mantra change over time... so we don't sing or chant "i am".

Also check this:
Say I Am You by Jalaluddin Rumi:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_m7TRvUhnQ

and
Desire (Rumi):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m4dxur_DPg (around time stamp 1:11, 2:28, 3:03, etc...)
Go to Top of Page

Rinaldo

Italy
47 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2012 :  10:06:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"Say I Am You by Jalaluddin Rumi" perfect^^ thank you very much!
Go to Top of Page

Rinaldo

Italy
47 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2012 :  10:13:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
btw you are so right, i'm already finding myself singing it many times during the day...so i'll stop listening it thank again.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2012 :  10:17:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

I found myself singing it as well.. and decided to put that note there... ha ha...
Go to Top of Page

Rinaldo

Italy
47 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2012 :  1:14:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi again^^
one more question: i find my breath sincronyzed with the mantra, and because of the repetition, the breath is fast and superficial. What i should do? I would prefere profound breath, keeping the the mantra repetition short (without saying "IIIIIII...." "AMMMMMM......", fast and separete. It will change with time? Btw i dont pay attention to the breath, simple sometimes i notice it, and find it sincronyzed.
Thank you
Rinaldo
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2012 :  5:38:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Rinaldo

Btw i dont pay attention to the breath, simple sometimes i notice it, and find it sincronyzed.

... and when you do... just favor the mantra.
The idea is to no consciously do "i' in breath "am' out breath... so any time you become aware of it, favor the mantra.

http://www.aypsite.org/106.html
If the mantra follows the breath, we don't favor or push the breath out. We just follow the procedure of easily favoring the mantra on whatever level of stillness we are at in the mind. Then we will be going to more stillness and purifying the entire nervous system from deep within with the rise of pure bliss consciousness.
Go to Top of Page

DAPA

Sweden
30 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2012 :  5:46:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
sorry for hijacking but my question is one the same subject and quite similar,

when using the mantra I AM, Is is supposed to be said similar to the way that one would say the OM mantra ie. fading in and fading out same pitch, like in this video 2 minuets into this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbEIsw78eBk ?? or should it generally speaking be shorter more similar to how you would say I am in normal conversation? Another way I've come across is saying I in slightly higher pitch followed by AM in a lower pitch, like a two tone melody over and over. How do most of you do it?

Thanks everyone

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2012 :  6:39:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi DAPA,
Same thing goes for speed or pitch... we let the mantra do what it wants to do during the session....

The reason is we want the mantra to be free to change naturally in speed of repetition and degree of clarity so the mind is free to go to stillness easily

It will change a lot over time... so better to not get attached to any style of saying it..
Go to Top of Page

DAPA

Sweden
30 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2012 :  9:57:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

Hi DAPA,
Same thing goes for speed or pitch... we let the mantra do what it wants to do during the session....

The reason is we want the mantra to be free to change naturally in speed of repetition and degree of clarity so the mind is free to go to stillness easily

It will change a lot over time... so better to not get attached to any style of saying it..

Thanks alot for the helpful reply, It makes sense so I'll just start every time with whatever type it comes up as.
Go to Top of Page

jomano7

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2023 :  4:04:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi should I think the mantra I Am as in British or in American? Because in British It’s ends with an Aaam and as Yogani say in deep meditation audio book is in American and is like ha eeém.
Is there any difference? Between the way that British and Americans say it?
Many thanks
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2023 :  5:07:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jomano,

We have had issues in the past, trying to describe pronunciations of mantras using writing, because of different accents in different countries, and even different accents within individual countries. Luckily, there is an audio recording of the AYAM mantra, recorded by Yogani, so that makes things easy.

The audio of AYAM is here:

https://www.aypsite.com/plus/audio/mantra-base.mp3

The audio of the full AYP mantra is here:

https://www.aypsite.com/plus/audio/...enhance3.mp3

The AYP mantra is not in any specific language. So, if you would pronounce these syllables differently in another language, then do not pronounce them that way. Pronounce them as they are spoken in the audio recordings.

Christi

Go to Top of Page

jomano7

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2023 :  6:31:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your kindness in answer my question, but I have the audio book and is Yogani that is talking, and he says I Am as in American, Do you say that mantra as you say I Am in Uk?
I only have the audio book and I don't have access to the AYP plus.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000