Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 My First Deep Meditation Experience
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

keithf

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2012 :  1:24:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
After wrestling with the seemingly never ending thoughts that come to me while I'm trying to be productive (mainly at work) I stumbled across Yogani's book on Deep Meditation. Now keep in mind that I've always assumed that meditation was something that was on par with just relaxing and taking it easy. I started and finished the book in one sitting and was intrigued, but still skeptical that I could have anything close to an experience like was being described in the book.

So last night before bed (I know, not the best time to do DM) I just went for it, all in, nothing to lose right? And of course my cat decides to climb into my lap and settle in, which I thought would mess the whole thing up, but boy was I wrong!

I'd say that I started to notice changes in my body and mind in about 2 mins of staying on the mantra (and coming back to it). I noticed that my breathing had basically stopped at one point and there wasn't any desire to take a deep breath to compensate, there really wasn't any desire at all. Then about halfway through I started getting that hazy and warm feeling that I can only compare to feeling like I'm going to pass out, but I never did. It felt really amazing to be honest.

Now I'm going to describe the next sensation and hope somebody can tell me what I was experiencing because it really messed with me. I was in the bedroom with the lights off, and in the living room a light that was one was the only light coming into the room from down the hall. Near the end of the 20 mins the light seemed to get brighter and brighter and it seemed like it was moving. This freaked me out because it appeared like maybe somebody was moving in front of the light source (shadows) but I was home alone. After checking with a peek out of my left I that I wasn't about to be murdered, I easily picked the mantra back up and the light grew to what I can only describe as filling my head and I felt like I could almost see the room with my eyes closed.

I only post this because I'm completely in awe of the experience and I would never have thought I'd be able to experience something like this through meditation. Thanks for reading!

P.S.

-Does anybody else have tingling in there face, facial twitches, and rapid eye movement during DM?

Edited by - keithf on Oct 02 2012 9:25:33 PM

nearoanoke

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2012 :  8:55:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wonderful experiences. Keep going.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2012 :  01:46:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
but do not get attached to all those experiences...as Yogani says in DM book all those experiences are scenery
most importantly self pace your practice in case things become overwhelmimg...
all the best
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2012 :  07:33:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Keith,

That was an awesome first time ! Cool - uh? I'm really happy for you. But like the others mentioned - these sort of experiences are treated as 'scenery', meaning no matter how awesome they are, we must not get carried away by them. And - I guess, you are totally hooked? - it might not happen again, at least not right away. It is best to have no expectations when sitting down to meditate but to take each siting as it comes; all is good. So now sit and dig in...it's a totally fantastic journey with lots of info and help on this site.

Enjoy your practices and do not hesitate to ask as many questions as you wish - great people here. They will help.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

Cato

Germany
225 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2018 :  11:14:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

P.S.

-Does anybody else have tingling in there face, facial twitches, and rapid eye movement during DM?

This post is from some years ago, but yes, I do experience those effects you describe. I wonder if it is a common phenomenon.
Go to Top of Page

theBuddhaInMe

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2019 :  4:30:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Now I'm going to describe the next sensation and hope somebody can tell me what I was experiencing because it really messed with me. I was in the bedroom with the lights off, and in the living room a light that was one was the only light coming into the room from down the hall. Near the end of the 20 mins the light seemed to get brighter and brighter and it seemed like it was moving. This freaked me out because it appeared like maybe somebody was moving in front of the light source (shadows) but I was home alone. After checking with a peek out of my left I that I wasn't about to be murdered, I easily picked the mantra back up and the light grew to what I can only describe as filling my head and I felt like I could almost see the room with my eyes closed.

I have the same exact experience. The light seems so bright at times that I have to open my eyes. And I too feel that I can "see" the room even though my eyes are closed.

I was advised to just enjoy the feeling and continue with the practice.

-tBiM
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2193 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2019 :  2:44:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I have the same exact experience. The light seems so bright at times that I have to open my eyes. And I too feel that I can "see" the room even though my eyes are closed.

Purification encourages inner light shows. One of my early experiences was seeing tiny twinkling orbs of light (starlike) in my darkened bedroom. Yoni mudra kumbaca (due to the fingers gently pressing the corners of the eyes) rivals a planetarium show!
Go to Top of Page

theBuddhaInMe

USA
6 Posts

Posted - May 28 2019 :  4:48:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
A planetarium show...wow!

I still see one bright light even though I have have been distracted in my practice lately!

-tBiM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000