AYP Helpers
 an inexpensive and effective way to promote AYP
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alvin Chan

Hong Kong
407 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2006 :  01:14:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

After reading the "marketing plans" thread, I am surprised at the not-quite-well sales of the AYP books. And here are some suggestions I hope would help, but please forgive me if my ideas just won't work or if they have already been mentioned by some of you here

Making a better use of the reviews in Amazon

Many good reviews about the AYP books have been written. They are indeed helpful. But who will ever get to notice the AYP books in the first place? Someone searching for "yoga" books?? What key word-search will ever reach the AYP books, without coming up with too many results? Without the much-more famous (not necessarily better) books which they are more likely to buy?

Ask ourselves: if we are to buy JUST ONE self-help book, will we choose one that have a five-star review but with an unknown author (there are plenty of such books in the market) or a more well-known book like "How to win friends and influence ppl"?

The more difficult task is therefore to get some attention in the first place, and a 5-star review is not enough for this purpose. And I suggest doing this by writing reviews of other books and mention the AYP books in that review.

The books under review could be directly or even indirectly related to yoga. But here are some suggestions:

1. Classics like Hatha Yoga Pradipika, The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali .

Remember to review all editions if you guys do. Maybe tomention that the how-to techniques are in the AYP books.

2. Any books on Kriya Yoga.

I have learnt here that AYP is very similar to Kriya Yoga, except that the knowledge is open to all. Any reviews put on the Kriya yoga books will thus be read by potential readers of the AYP books. I believe that many Kriya yoga guys are seeking for the how-to techniques!!!

3. Modern classics like B. K. S. Iyengar's, and all books from the Bihar School, Swami Rama and his students,... well, you guys know more.....

4. Books on pranayama (though there aren't many in the market)

5. best sellers in popular yoga

Even some self-help books are suitable. We just have to be careful enough to write a good review.

Think about how many people will see these reviews each year, especially the classics. It is a well-known marketing strategy for a lesser-known product to get some exposure from the more well-known and welcomed people/products/events.

There are some other considerations. For example, it's more suitable to mention the big AYP books in a Kriya yoga boom review; while for self-help books, "The Secrets of Wilder" may be more appropriate.

By the way, the plain and elegant cover and title actually go against the common marketing strategy today. I myself is happy to see that, but I'm afraid this is another reason of the not-so-good sale.

Edited by - Alvin Chan on Jun 09 2006 03:32:00 AM

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2006 :  1:12:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Alvin:

Excellent idea to write reviews for yoga and self-help books on Amazon, referring to the AYP book(s). Of course, such reviews should be sincere, knowledgeable and informative. In most cases, AYP can be presented as a complement to a good book or teaching. Being seen as a useful addition rather than a replacement is a good way to win hearts.

Amazon searches on any of the terms you mentioned above will turn up books, which can then be ranked from best selling on down. Best selling is where the viewers are, so that is where the reviews mentioning AYP will do the most good.

For example, Iyengar's "Light on Yoga" has been the best selling yoga book on Amazon for as long as I have been looking. It so happens that AYP can be an excellent complement to Iyengar training. Jim, Victor and others can verify that. AYP can be a real benefit there, and we should not be shy to communicate it to all people in Iyengar, or considering Iyengar -- it is at the heart of the yoga market, which is where we need to be. The same goes for other popular teachings, as you mentioned.

Can anyone list the most popular yoga and self help books? You are off to a good start, Alvin, but how about we take aim at best sellers? There are many nipping at Iyengar's heels. We'd like to put AYP square in the middle of that pack as a co-training tool -- an open resource to all.

Another approach is, if anyone has read a good book, regardless of popularity/sales rank, and want's to review it on Amazon, then do so, pointing out the relationship it might have to the role of the AYP books in your life. The more places AYP can be mentioned the better.

Also, keep in mind that probably 75% of the Amazon yoga traffic flows through the Amazon USA site (AYP website traffic mirrors this too) with the rest of the Amazon yoga traffic through Canada, UK, France, Germany/Austria and Japan. Not that I would not like to see AYP mentioned in reviews on all the Amazon sites. But if it is numbers we are seeking, Amazon USA is the place to start.

Now, great suggestions like this for promoting AYP are wonderful, but who is actually going to go out and do something? As we say in America, it is in the doing where the rubber meets the road ... or did that one come from China too?

So far about half of the suggestions to promote AYP have been for me to do something (thanks, I needed something else to do), and the other half have been great ideas that very few have acted on. The ones who have stepped up are making a difference (thank you!), but we are still way short on having the many hands that make light work...

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Alvin Chan

Hong Kong
407 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2006 :  09:36:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some of the best sellers I know, though I am not able to write a reivew for most of them. Jim, we need your help on the Iyengar's book!!! Also, I think the kriya yoga books are a good place to write reviews mentioning AYP books too, because people viewing Kriya yoga are all potential readers of AYP books. But again, I am not familar with that (except knowing that the Autobiography of a Yogi is THE classic)

Ashtanga Yoga: The Practice Manual: An Illustrated Guide to Personal Practice
by David Swenson

Yoga
by Linda Sparrowe

Bikram's Beginning Yoga Class Second Edtion: Edited

The Yoga Tradition: Its History, Literature, Philosophy and Practice

Ashtanga Yoga : The Definitive Step-by-Step Guide to Dynamic Yoga
by John C. Scott, Shri K. Pattabhi Jois

Yin Yoga
by Paul Grilley

Yoga Mala
by Sri K. Jois, Sri K. Pattabhi Jois

The Heart of Yoga: Developing a Personal Practice by T. K. V. Desikachar

Living Yoga: Creating A Life Practice

Anatomy of Hatha Yoga: A Manual for Students, Teachers, and Practitioners
by H. David Coulter

Power Yoga : The Total Strength and Flexibility Workout
by Beryl Bender Birch

Any books by Mantak Chia, Satyananda,.....
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2006 :  6:39:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Alvin:

Thanks for those, and for your reviews of the AYP books on Amazon too. They make a big difference.

Here is a search for "Yoga" on Amazon USA, ranked for best-selling: click here (4,300 books)

Try a few searches of your own. Check the book rankings on Amazon to see how each category fares in relation to the over all universe of books. For example, Iyengar's best-selling "Light on Yoga" is usually ranked somewhere between 500-1000. Waynes Dyer's book on meditation is in that range too. That is about as good as it gets for yoga books. Maybe there are some self-improvement books that do better where aspects of AYP might be appreciated? Look and see.

Here are a few others:

Meditation -- click here (9,300 books!)

Pranayama -- click here (42 books) AYP Spinal Breathing Pranayama comes up #5 on this list, which isn't saying much -- sales are very small (rank over 100,000). The best selling book on this list "Light on Pranayama" by Iyengar ranked 5,000-10,000, so pranayama books are not nearly as lively as yoga and meditation books.

Breathing -- click here (1,100 books) Similar to pranayama, with many added.

Kriya -- click here (77 books) Best seller here is Satyananda's "Systematic Course in the Ancient Tantric Techniques of Yoga and Kriya" - rank over 100,000, not an active book category. "Yoga" and "Meditation" seem to be where the action is.

Oh, and of course, let's not forget...

Tantra -- click here (490 books) The rankings fall off fast here. We'll see how AYP Tantra does. Anyone feel like planting a few seeds in the reviews for top seller "Sex and the Perfect Lover - Tao, Tantra and Kama Sutra" by Mabel Iam (what a name! ), ranked 600.

There is no doubt that if readers of best-selling yoga and self-improvement books hear about AYP, it will make a big difference. Help with that will be much appreciated.

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2006 :  9:28:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This is a great idea Alvin. I do agree with Yogani that those reviews should be informative and sincere in themselves. And focussed mainly on the book being actually reviewed. For example, I have 'Light on Yoga' on my list for reading, and I think I could do a very solid review of it when I am done. Then, if I find that Yogani's books complement it well, (which I expect they will) I can mention them in my review. For exampe, I think 'Light on Yoga' is short on details on Kechari Mudra and I could tell people where to go if they want more.

I think there are other people here who have already read 'Light on Yoga' and could do something similar if they are so moved.

Edited by - david_obsidian on Jun 10 2006 9:35:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2006 :  12:00:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Further thoughts:

The Secrets of Wilder is relevant to mention in reviews for the Da Vinci Code, the hottest book (and movie) on the planet at the moment.

Wilder shares the defiance of religious hierarchy theme with the Da Vinci code, and the implication that spirituality is to be found in the human being, not in the church.

As you know, Wilder then takes a different direction, focusing on the actual methods of human spiritual transformation, their transmission to many, and the far-reaching consequences of that. And, interestingly, the Wilder secrets, at times, come from within Christendom itself, validating the teachings of Jesus, while at the same time refuting the distortions of organized religion.

Other books where the Secrets of Wilder can be mentioned usefully in reviews are:

The Celestine Prophesy -- Redfield (new movie, not well-received, self-produced - lessons on how not to do it)

Way of the Peaceful Warrior -- Millman (also a new movie out, doing better than Celestine, thanks to a professional Hollywood production.)

Jonathan Livingston Seagull and Illusions -- Bach

Converstations With God -- Walsch (not a novel, but comparable)

Maybe you know of others? Give it a whirl. John Wilder can use all the help he can get.

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

will.iam

23 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2006 :  12:04:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit will.iam's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Another way is to put and or submit links to the website where ever they will be taken. I asked to folks at Erowid to put one up a while ago. This evening I put links on the wikipedia under meditation and yoga. There are other pages there to be edited, and we could even put a page in the wikipedia about AYP itself. This will provide exposure at no cost.

Edit:
Well, it was taken down, and after a discussion with the staff, they will allow it to go back up even though it is "borderline". Is there are link that does not display the books so prominently? I think this is what made them remove the link in the first place. The user that removed it said that someone else may still remove it later.

Edited by - will.iam on Jun 12 2006 02:03:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2006 :  12:56:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Will:

The AYP Geocities site (http://www.geocities.com/advancedyogapractices) does not display the books on every page (Yahoo ads instead), but it has limited bandwidth.

Thanks much for helping out. Yes, lots of AYP links in all the places where there is relevant traffic certainly do help.

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Alvin Chan

Hong Kong
407 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2006 :  02:52:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've tried posting two reviews on amazon, but they never show up. May be they've banned any reference to any products on the reviews?
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2006 :  3:56:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Alvin Chan

I've tried posting two reviews on amazon, but they never show up. May be they've banned any reference to any products on the reviews?

Hi Alvin:

Sorry to hear that.

Amazon frowns on links (or products?) leading away from their site. There has not been a problem with mentioning other books, assuming it is done as part of a legitimate full scope review. All the better for Amazon...

Thank you for trying. I hope you will try again. Amazon USA is the place to do it -- the most traffic there by far.

As you know, Amazon reviews are one the easiest and best ways to lend AYP a helping hand. They end up in the search engines too!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Alvin Chan

Hong Kong
407 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2006 :  10:58:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I see. One year ago, I wrote a review on a good piano book and link to the website of the author, it did work and is still there. May be they change the rule now.

OKOK, I know what Amazon wants now. Let me try link back to its own page of AYP book this time!!
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2006 :  10:55:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

I see. One year ago, I wrote a review on a good piano book and link to the website of the author, it did work and is still there. May be they change the rule now.

OKOK, I know what Amazon wants now. Let me try link back to its own page of AYP book this time!!

Hi Alvin:

I suggest putting no links in book reviews, Amazon's or others. The name of the book and author is enough, and should not set off alarms.

TGIIY
Go to Top of Page

Alvin Chan

Hong Kong
407 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2006 :  12:25:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It works!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/00...nce&n=283155

And I've picked the edition of Iyengar's classics with the fewest reviews (just 3 counting mine) so as to attract more attention.

Anyone can give me some comments on my review. I will be happy to edit it for improvement. I'm brain-storming and you know, I am not a native English speaker. So advice on grammer, use of words, style, etc are particularly welcomed.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2006 :  2:45:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

It works!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/00...nce&n=283155

And I've picked the edition of Iyengar's classics with the fewest reviews (just 3 counting mine) so as to attract more attention.

Anyone can give me some comments on my review. I will be happy to edit it for improvement. I'm brain-storming and you know, I am not a native English speaker. So advice on grammer, use of words, style, etc are particularly welcomed.

Good job, Alvin. Thanks!

Keep in mind that Amazon page readership is indicated by the sales ranking -- about 175,000 on this 2001 edition of Iyengar's Light on Yoga -- pretty high. Whereas the 1995 edition is usually ranked under 1000 -- the best selling (highest volume) book on yoga on all of Amazon. You could probably get away with putting the same review there, since it is the same book.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/08...UTF8&s=books

Check this list for bestselling books on yoga:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st/1...rank&x=8&y=5

Editing Amazon reviews is hit or miss at best -- sometimes they disappear forever. If you get one up there, it is usually best to leave it alone. You know the old saying, "Let sleeping dogs lie."

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

markern

Norway
171 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  04:43:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit markern's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Is there a facebook group for AYP? If not someone should make one and we could all join. That would make a few people see the group name at least and perhaps check it out. Mentioning AYP and Yoganis books on Facebook and Myspace could also help a little. Secrets of Wilder could be put as one of ones favorite books.

Are AYP books sold in bookstores or just online? If it is sold in bookstores I could go to a couple of the book stores with many yoga books in my town and recomend that they sell AYP books. Just asking for a book a couple of times usualy makes them get a couple of copies to see if there is a market for a book.

I would think talking about AYP on other yoga forums would be a great way to get more people to check it out. Also asking other sites connected to yoga and meditation t link to AYP should be helpfull.

I think the Tantra community would be very interested in AYP. Often people there only learn sexual techniques but little that gets them anywhere spiritualy. Maybe ask tantra.com to link to AYP?

Another possibility is to try to get someone to research on AYP meditation. Some years back most research on meditation was done on TM. Now most is done on mindfulness/Vipassana. A research report with good findings mentioning the technique can get quite a lot of people to check it out and other researchers to want to look more at AYP.

Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  06:52:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There's a myspace, but it doesn't attract people. I think people use myspace and facebook for social reasons only. Yes you should definitely request books at your store.
Sounds interesting about tantra people.
Go to Top of Page

markern

Norway
171 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  07:53:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit markern's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I just sent an email to a book store that sells meditation books that they should check out Yoganis books and website in order to consider selling them. By searching online for bookstores that primarily deals with spiritual books and sending them such emails it should be possible to reach a lot more book stores than by just talking to the ones that are close by were we live.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  11:04:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Markern,

there are two AYP facebook groups that I have found so far, but I don't use facebook much...One is just called Advanced Yoga Practices, and the other is Friends of AYP I believe. Just type in Advanced Yoga Practices into your groups search engine and they should pop up. They have been on there for quite a while so a few more friends would help spread it around even more. Anyone on facebook feel free to add me as a friend, I try to use FB for many things including inviting people to my meditation groups etc, and so far has been quite effective. My screen name there is the same as here, CarsonZi.

In Love,
CarsonZi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000