Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 where should I start with all this?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

spiroth10

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2012 :  04:41:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
hey guys, im new here.

i dont really practice anything (as of yet). I just started testing out meditation today, and im just getting back into doing hatha yoga, which I started but never kept up with (although it did leave me with some great feelings, I loved it, its a long story why I stopped)

anyway, I was meditating trying to work on the crown chakra and the third eye, and I did get some result (feeling and control of the feeling between my eyebrows coordinated with my breathing), obviously I didnt get much further, I lost concentration, and I doubt my other chakras were functioning well enough for me to have gotten far with it anyway.

but yeah, I know its stupid and possibly dangerous to just try to randomly activate them, but I have no guidance available to me in how I should be starting out. Im literally probably 50-80+ miles away from anyone who could teach me. Im literally in redneck land up in the mountains in the middle of bum**** nowhere, so finding any practicing groups or teachers (aside from hatha yoga) would be nigh impossible unless I had a massive amount of money to move somewhere else and start a new life (I have no career or career options - this is impossible as long as I want a roof and food).

so where should I start? because honestly, I feel very compelled to explore this stuff, and Im going to do it alone regardless, even if im unprepared.

should I be working on my conduct in life before even worrying about yoga and meditation? should I be trying to meditate on anything in a specific order, or is there some sequence of tasks I should practice or something? I just feel like experience would be much greater than just being a random explorer of my own mind without any guidance. I havent seen them yet, but im more than certain theres some dark places hidden in there. probably darker than most other peoples...

Edited by - spiroth10 on Sep 20 2012 04:50:53 AM

robfrommi

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2012 :  08:07:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am new here too, and I feel the same isolation with no one around me even remotely interested in yoga/meditation. You can start here with the AYP website http://www.aypsite.org/10.html that's where the lessons begin online.

I was lucky that Yogani had his audiobooks on Spotify so i was able to listen to his talk on Deep meditation. He really has a way of making something that I always thought of as complicated easy. Then I bought his Advanced Yoga Practices - Easy Lessons for Ecstatic Living for my kindle. That is just the online lessons (on the website) in book form with more detail. It really is a step by step guide... Good luck

Right away I would recommend starting Deep meditation, the benefits for me were felt in a few days.

Edited by - robfrommi on Sep 20 2012 08:11:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2012 :  12:22:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Spiroth10,

Welcome to the forums!

And yep, you are in the right place

As robfrommi mentioned, start with the lessons here, and practice-wise, with deep meditation. The reason AYP works for so many of us is that at one point or other, we all felt the way you do, i.e., not sure where to start/not having teachers nearby/having tried other systems or on our own, etc.

Although conduct in life (yamas and niyamas) come first in Patanjali's eight limbs of yoga, working "through" the limbs one at a time is cumbersome and takes too long. Instead, in AYP, we start with deep meditation, which over time automatically changes one's conduct to be in line with the universe. An inside-out approach that works quite magically, actually Also, keep in mind that although one might immediately start feeling more calmness and stability after a few days of DM, it is really over the long-term that we really start seeing the benefits.

My advice would be - give it a shot, and see what happens!

Love,
kami
Go to Top of Page

lmaher22

USA
217 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2012 :  6:04:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome S10. This site is perfect for peeps like me and you that live in no-ess, bum-ess, dumb-ess no man's land. This place has retreats too. Steal a car and make one. :>)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000