Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Can't Stay more than 15 minutes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nickz

India
5 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2012 :  10:27:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

I really want to meditate more than 1 hour per time. but i can't stay more time as i wanted, im getting big pain in my legs. i can only stay 15 minutes maximum.
I'm very upset in this problem. I'm 22 years old slim guy. my legs are not much flexible

I guess there are technical problem. is there any medicine to get rid this pain on my leg?

please help. thanks you

Regards,
nick

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2012 :  10:45:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi nickz,
what sitting posture are you using and aiming for? Can you identify the cause of the pain (ex. numbness, stretch, joints?).
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2012 :  12:26:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by nickz

I really want to meditate more than 1 hour per time. but i can't stay more time as i wanted, im getting big pain in my legs. i can only stay 15 minutes maximum.

Hi Nick,
Welcome to the AYP forums!

If you look at the deep meditation technique here : http://www.aypsite.org/13.html you will see it is done for 20 min, sitting with back support and in any position that is comfortable for you.
It is not required to meditate for hours... using deep meditation 20 min twice a day, you can get a lot. If you'd like, give it a try.
Wish you all the best!
Go to Top of Page

nickz

India
5 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2012 :  3:10:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by AumNaturel

Hi nickz,
what sitting posture are you using and aiming for? Can you identify the cause of the pain (ex. numbness, stretch, joints?).

I don't have much knowledge about techniques. this picture is very similar to my sitting position. http://i.imgur.com/w4EcW.jpg

Numb and pain on my leg joints :(

If i meditate 15 mins, getting big pain and it takes 10 mins to cool down. this happens all the time :(

quote:
Originally posted by Shanti
Hi Nick,
Welcome to the AYP forums!

If you look at the deep meditation technique here : http://www.aypsite.org/13.html you will see it is done for 20 min, sitting with back support and in any position that is comfortable for you.
It is not required to meditate for hours... using deep meditation 20 min twice a day, you can get a lot. If you'd like, give it a try.
Wish you all the best!

Thanks for the guide :) please help me to get rid this situation. actually this is a big headache for me. hope you can understand my situation.

Edited by - nickz on Sep 07 2012 3:19:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2012 :  3:26:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Nickz

I wouldn't worry too much, if at all, about any position that your legs are in when you meditate. What's more important is that you meditate, and to do that you need to be comfortable (as you progress siddhasana is a great posture to be in, but more of that later).

Are you sitting on a hard surface? It's much better for your bum if you sit on a cushion. Even better if you can meditate on your bed with your back against the headboard or wall, with a pillow behind your back. Then you can have your legs straight out in front, or bent slightly.

If any position causes pain and stops you meditating then don't force yourself and change position. No pain, no gain doesn't apply here! Thankfully .

All the best!
Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2012 :  3:28:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi nickz,

One thing that may help is asana practice, that is, if you really want to sit in that position for meditation. It is not uncommon to experience pain, or the sensation of feet/legs going to sleep while sitting like this, simply because we are not used to it. Asanas increase flexibility and help to sit longer (in fact, why asanas were "invented" in the first place ).

Also, it helps to sit on the bed with an additional pillow or cushion under the tailbone.

Best,
kami
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2012 :  6:53:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Numbness and pain in leg joints sounds quite normal. I started with ordinary legs crossed, on a raised seat with a hard pillow, no back support, and a towel for the legs. Over time, half-way through the sitting, I got rid of the seat and kept the pillow, then only the pillow, and now only a cotton towel. My body now wants to get into lotus, but the knees can't yet reach the floor, and there's too much pressure still on the ankles, but I keep at it as I have over the years. Meditation alone I find brings increased flexibility somehow. I still uncross my legs or raise up a few times during the session to refresh the back and legs.

All in all, it has taken many years of sitting, and still not there yet, but it has always been rewarding. Keep in mind also that you don't want the posture to be interfering with its purpose for facilitating the sitting practices.

Edited by - AumNaturel on Sep 07 2012 7:07:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

nickz

India
5 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2012 :  01:29:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all of who help me :) it seems no need to get medicine for this problem, well. ill try my best with positions :)
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2012 :  01:59:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Do 15 minutes every day. Give it time. All good things in all good time. Be consistent and good results will come
Go to Top of Page

nickz

India
5 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2012 :  03:04:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Victor

Do 15 minutes every day. Give it time. All good things in all good time. Be consistent and good results will come

Thank you very much for motivation
Had +6 months sitting position failure. as you said "All good things in all good time." and consistent is the best friend.

Edited by - nickz on Sep 08 2012 03:15:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2012 :  07:38:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Nickz,
Why don't you try and meditate for 20 min sitting on a chair or with your legs stretched out while sitting with back support (I did this for a while when my knees bothered me). If you see Yogani's lesson http://www.aypsite.org/33.html, he says it is very important to be comfortable when meditating.
quote:
Meditation works just fine while sitting on a soft surface with back support. An easy chair is good. Being on a bed with a couple of pillows behind us is better, for reasons that will become clear shortly. Don't meditate in a reclined position, as this can result in sleep rather than meditation. The idea is to be sitting upright comfortably. We don't want unnecessary discomfort in the body competing with the simple procedure of meditation. If it is natural for you to sit on a hard surface without back support for twenty minutes or more, this is okay for meditation. But few will be able to do this, and it is not necessary. Less comfort is synonymous with unnecessary distraction in meditation. So keep it comfortable

Meditation is important, the sitting position will change over time.
Go to Top of Page

nickz

India
5 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2012 :  09:28:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've tried with pillow behind my back. it worked fine. meditated over 20 mins. i can stay more time but i opened my eyes because cant wait to see the clock xD

No big pain on legs, i want to thank again to all of you, AumNaturel, Shanti, woosa, kami and Victor

PS: @shanti : how come your knees bothered?
Still you on chair ? if not, how did you solve that? please answer for this, this is very important to me.

Edited by - nickz on Sep 08 2012 09:37:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

Leo17

USA
29 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2012 :  6:31:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
As mentioned, the use of a "Zafu" and "Zabuton" can be very helpful for comfort during meditation.

http://www.samadhicushions.com/Medi...ions_s/3.htm
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2012 :  08:24:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Nickz,
Sorry I did not see your edit...
I generally have painful knees when I work for too long in my garden or walk in high heels for a few days... my massage therapist said it's because the muscles in the legs get tight and pull on the knees causing pain.

And no I don't sit on a chair, I sit in siddhasana on my bed with back support, but when my knees hurt I don't sit in siddhasana, but sit with my legs stretched out.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000