New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Babaly

USA
112 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2006 :  10:23:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Babaly's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi Everyone,

I am strongly contemplating starting Amaroli.

I've read the posts Yogani made regarding this practice and I've done research on the web etc.,

.... but I would really love to hear your own experiences with it...

How did you you start?

How much did you start with and how much do you take now?

Where there any negative side effects at the beginning?

Any feedback would be soooo appreciated:-)

Babaly

Edited by - AYPforum on Feb 05 2007 01:15:20 AM

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2006 :  10:31:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Babaly,
Check this thread http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....TOPIC_ID=409

I have not started amaroli, but have been thinking about it.. at least I don't dismiss it completely like I used to.
I know many here practice it and will give you good advice soon.. and maybe in the process convince me to do start it too.
Go to Top of Page

alan

USA
235 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2006 :  10:34:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit alan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm curious. Convince me! The idea would take some positive input for me to try it
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2006 :  10:36:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Alan,
that is how I felt about it too..
Now I am
So lets see where this thread takes us..
Go to Top of Page

alan

USA
235 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2006 :  10:44:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit alan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, I'm with ya!
Go to Top of Page

alan

USA
235 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2006 :  10:59:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit alan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I looked back and can see this topic was discussed a lot. If anyone has more insight on the spiritual practice benefits that would be appreciated.

Peace, alan
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2006 :  11:06:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Does anyone besides me wonder who came up with the word amaroli? Shouldn't it have been put to better use, like an Italian pastry or something? Maybe that's what they had in mind - they thought if they gave it a nice name, more people would try it. Anyway, Babaly, I've been doing the practice for about 6 months, and without any spectacular results. It's a subtle thing, maybe the most subtle of all the practices we do at AYP. I've worked my way up to about 2 oz. in an 8 oz. glass of water, and have leveled out here. I take it in the morning when I get up, which works best for me b'c then during meditation it can work its way into my system without the distraction of food, drink, or activity. (I'm only assuming that this is a desirable thing - it may be that food, drink, and activity would be beneficial for amaroli).

The only negative effect has been the obvious gross-out factor, but that goes away almost immediately. I recommend not thinking about what you're doing too much, and I highly recommend not doing it in the presence of a friend or lover, or even mentioning that you do this. It doesn't go over well, and they might not let you forget that they know your 'secret'. Seriously - I made the mistake of telling a friend who I thought would be sympathetic, and it's become an ugly point of contention between us.

The benefits are tricky, b'c I can't say that I've experienced any benefits that I know to be a result of amaroli. I'd like to say that I feel brighter and more alert directly after drinking it, but it's inconsistent, and may well be that I'm being affected by another practice. I think I may be doing it on mere faith at the moment, and habit to some extent. It was noted elsewhere on the forum that a forumite's hair and nails were growing faster, which may be the case with me, too.

In short, amaroli's probably not going to change your life, but it's definitely a practice worth experimenting with to see if it works for you.
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2006 :  11:20:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I posted while the rest of you were also posting. Let me add this: If you're curious about it and feel pulled to try it, please do. If not, don't bother. As with all of the practices, it's just a matter of following your bhakti. I notice that Yogani doesn't put particular emphasis on it, as he does with spinal breathing or sambhavi for example, so I interpret that to mean that it's not 'up there' with the more staid practices. If he includes in his AYP Enlightenment Series a book on amaroli, then I think we should all pay more attention to it. :)
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2006 :  11:23:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Meg that is going to be a part of his 6th book in his AYP Enlightenment Series ...

Diet, Shatkarmas and Amaroli – Yogic Nutrition & Cleansing for Health and Spirit (#0978649648 -- Due out first half 2007)

Edited by - Shanti on Jun 01 2006 11:30:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2006 :  11:41:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have been practicing amaroli every day for a little over a year, one cup first thing in the morning. Its hard to say the effects but I have faith that it has its benefits and certainly have seen no harm. Its really not that big a deal once you get used to it and can help with squeamishness about body fluids.
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2006 :  12:01:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

Meg that is going to be a part of his 6th book in his AYP Enlightenment Series ...
Diet, Shatkarmas and Amaroli – Yogic Nutrition & Cleansing for Health and Spirit (#0978649648 -- Due out first half 2007)

Well, there you have it. Amaroli rocks! Or, amaroli on the rocks.
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2006 :  12:21:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have been practicing Amaroli for about 6 months now.
I started with a couple of ounces and built up slowly to a full cup every morning. I used to suffer regularly from sinus problems but I haven't had any since I started, not even a bad cold, I put this down to the Amaroli but it could be the Pranayama, all the same it seems to give me a feeling of general well being and I don't have any problem at all drinking it, that goes away after the first few times.
It is definitely better to start with a small amount hitting your body with the full amount right away can result in feverish flue like symptoms.

RICHARD
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2006 :  12:47:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by meg

quote:

Well, there you have it. Amaroli rocks! Or, amaroli on the rocks.

Hi All:

Amaroli is covered in the AYP Easy Lessons book (addition to tantra lesson T32) -- nearly did not make it in due to the gross-out factor, and that is discussed in there too. And, yes, it will be given treatment in the E-Series book Shanti mentioned, at the risk of staining all of AYP yellow.

But seriously, one way to find out what amaroli is doing for us at a point in time is to stop for a while after doing it for a few months. From that angle, the effects can be quite noticeable. It is an important practice, for both health and spiritual progress, though certainly a controversial one.

As with all of the AYP practices, the results are also related to the integration of practices we are doing. Deep meditation works better with spinal breathing in the picture, and vise versa. Mudras and bandhas work best with deep meditation and spinal breathing going on. Tantric sexual relations are much more effective when daily sitting practices are being done also, and so on...

It is like that with amaroli too, which is not to say that any single practice is not beneficial by itself. But an integration can accomplish so much more. Taking practices on in a particular order helps a lot too -- deep meditation, spinal breathing, mudras/bandhas, etc. This suggests that amaroli may not be the first thing to be doing, and that our rising bhakti will bring us to it naturally, like it brings us to everything else.... Of course, there are many ways to skin this cat, and many places one can start and progress from. That is why we call this "self-directed practice." Pick your doorway and stroll on in. Each doorway inevitably leads to more doorways. It is the nature of purification and opening in the human nervous system on the road of spiritual transformation.

Cheers!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2006 :  1:03:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
How did you guys get over the "gross-out factor"?
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2006 :  1:09:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Yogani. Richard and Victor - I've been thinking that if I increase the amount of urine the effects may be more noticeable for me. Did you find that to be true? A full cup seems like a lot - more than I could handle right now, but I could work my way up to that, if I thought the increase would be beneficial.
Go to Top of Page

alan

USA
235 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2006 :  1:16:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit alan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, I amarollin.

I didn't see the 'start out small' and went for about ten ounces mid-stream. Just finished my second; about eight ounces. Is it my imagination or do I feel "high" with a pleasant little crown activity?
It reminds me a little of eating hashish, sort of a glow in and out and smooth moving. Can't say I like the taste yet, but it's bearable. I leaned over my son at the computer and he said "I smell coffee". I hadn't had coffee. Guess I'd better watch the breath factor. I know my girlfriend won't like the idea so I'm keeping it private. I used to duck into the bathroom for worse things!
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2006 :  1:34:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Meg:

It is a personal self-paced thing, and you should follow your inner lead on it. If you feel the need to increase, try it ... and if it is too much, then back off accordingly.

In truth, with the rise of inner silence and ecstatic conductivity, less can be more for all the practices, including amaroli. Until that situation and a realization of it dawns, things can be a bit choppy now and then...

So it is all about taking it easy with our long term persistence in practices -- gentle persuasion, you know ... doing whatever is necessary to keep moving steadily and safely along.

Unlike some traditons, we do not have goals here to reach certain durations or quantities of practice, as this could be counter-productive depending on the course of our purification and opening.

Once we have the tools in hand and are familiar with how they work, the game is almost entirely in the self-pacing. This is where the science of yoga gives way to the art of yoga. The practices are the brushes and colors and we are the living canvas that reacts to the various stimulations by the artist.

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2006 :  2:46:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
One thing I have noticed and forgot to mention is that when you get up to a cup full and more it seems in my case at least to have a direct effect on the looseness of my stools so it seems its a good idea to self pace to avoid the dreaded follow through effect

RICHARD
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2006 :  2:50:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Babaly - this was from a private email, which I'll post here for anyone interested in trying amaroli:

If you are curious and want to try it, I'd suggest starting like I did
with a tblspn. in 8 oz. of water. You won't even taste it - the
gross-out will only be in your mind. Do that for a week, then
increase to 2 tblspns. Do that for a week and increase to 3, etc.
That way in a month you'll be at a quarter cup, and you can decide
from there whether or not to increase it.

p.s. - I don't recommend doing what Alan did and drinking so much the first time. If you do this, it may well be your first and last try at amaroli. I do like your style tho, Alan! :)

Edited by - Manipura on Jun 01 2006 2:54:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2006 :  3:15:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This topic has set me thinking about something that has become a habit with me and the more I think about it the more I realize that since I have become habitual with Amaroli I have never felt so well. Its strange and this applies to AYP in general as well, Changes in your mind and body occur and then become so much the norm so much the essence of you that you forget they ever happened

RICHARD
Go to Top of Page

alan

USA
235 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2006 :  3:24:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit alan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I'm a bit of a nut

Starting slow is wise, Babaly.

No ill effects yet. I think I'll back off a bit. I've had approx. 22 oz. this morning non-diluted and am feeling fine, so I can give the o.k. from my experience. I'm feeling like there's no point in so much. Maybe a couple of cups in the A.M. It did seem to give me a pleasantness. Don't know yet how I'll approach the P.M.
Bottoms up!

Cheers, alan

Edited by - alan on Jun 01 2006 3:25:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2006 :  3:52:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by azaz932001

Changes in your mind and body occur and then become so much the norm so much the essence of you that you forget they ever happened

Hi Richard:

Yes, it is amazing how quickly we can get used to a particular level of progress. It can even become like, well, God, what have you done for me lately?

And God answers back, "Well, what have you done lately to move on?"

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2006 :  4:43:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
And, yes, it will be given treatment in the E-Series book, at the risk of staining all of AYP yellow.

Yogani is this the reason you chose that color for the cover of your 6th book?

http://www.aypsite.org/books.html
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2006 :  5:09:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Yogani is this the reason you chose that color for the cover of your 6th book? http://www.aypsite.org/books.html

Hi Shanti:

This one will be about the "nine gates" and what connects them. What goes in, what comes out, and what sometimes goes back in again. It will explore the odd contraditons we live with -- the common obsession with what we put in and the common revulsion with what comes out.

In truth, the inner neurobiological processes are where the action is, and helping optimize them for spiritual functioning will be the focus of the book, as is always the case in the AYP writings.

Just a word on laying out the E-Series titles in advance -- "Samyama." They are happening already ... well, they are done already. All I have to do is type the 600 pages.

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

alan

USA
235 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2006 :  7:26:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit alan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info yogani. I just read some of the Q&A on amaroli and went to the first reference you listed. Fascinating stuff. I'll at least use the first A.M. urine as that apparently would be the best to improve my morning practice.

Peace, alan

P.S. I have to laugh When i would consider taking up my spiritual practice I never thought I'd be sticking my tongue up the back-side of my nose and drinking my pee!

Edited by - alan on Jun 01 2006 8:11:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2006 :  8:20:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"I have to laugh When i would consider taking up my spiritual practice I never thought I'd be sticking my tongue up the back-side of my nose and drinking my pee!"

That's funny stuff.

I just tried amaroli this morning. It seems like it is jam packed with "vitality"! I was kind of taken back by how healthy it seemed after I drank it. But I did get kind of a queasy stomach which lasted like half an hour.

I'm gonna keep it up!

-Scott
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000