Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 energy knot near temple
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

iorrus

Ireland
5 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2012 :  9:11:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hey, all I've been having some success with meditation recently but i've come across this problem. Everytime i meditate I start to feel this really uncomfortable 'constriction' around my left temple. It feels almost like a knot, it wriggles about pulsing with energy and sometimes moves about, for instance it will move towards my left nostril and then disappear for a bit but then it will reappear, it's almost like it's alive and crawling about. I've been working on just relaxing and releasing all tension so i'm completly relaxed except for this huge wiggling energy all around my left temple. I try to ignore it and sometimes it tends to calm down but it's been there a few days now. Occassionly it releases energy in what feels like a little spider web pattern. Anyone any ideas, It's not noticeable when i'm not meditating or trying to relax?

iorrus

Ireland
5 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2012 :  11:02:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think I figured it out last night. It is a muscle up near the back of my jaw that I seem to constantly keep tight and tense on a subconscious level, I imagined myself laying in a boat at perfect peace and directed this thought to the muscle and I think by working on it it will slowly loosen up. Probably a long term problem/tension so I'm not expecting it to disappear. The I AM mantra helped alot too.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2012 :  11:19:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi iorrus,
Welcome to the AYP forums.

Sorry I missed this post... but you seem to have found a solution to the problem... very nice!

I have a few tight spots in my leg and back areas that at times give very strange movements in my body during meditation. And you are right, it only becomes noticeable when we relax. I have found rubbing/massaging certain essential oils like Cypress, Marjoram, Basil, wintergreen (don't apply close to eyes) or peace and calming (are few that I have used)in these tight areas along with consciously relaxing the area every time our awareness falls on the tightness (which you seem to be doing) helps relax the areas to a certain degree and unlearn the body's instinct to hold these areas tightly. And you are right, meditation itself will help with the process of letting go the tightness.

Hopefully this movement/tightness will pass so it is not too much of a distraction during meditation.
Wish you all the best!
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2012 :  11:42:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Iorrus,

glad you were able to trace the cause of it. I too tend to have tension build up in my jaw whenever I overdo any activity, and use it as a cue to ease back, though never had any symptoms during practice.
Go to Top of Page

iorrus

Ireland
5 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2012 :  9:52:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the replies. I keep working on it, I've read a bit online and I think it's a block in the pingala nadi which crosses over to the left temple where the ego is. This makes sense as I have a dominant pingala and definitely have ego problems. Any other suggestions? I was thinking about reiki and I've been creating an energy loop with my hands on either side of the head and following my breath around which seems to help.
Go to Top of Page

iorrus

Ireland
5 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2016 :  07:30:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just to follow up on this. The problem is muscular, I used to play hockey for many years. This has resulted in an imbalance in my body, the muscular knot is near my temple but it is also related to my hip and general body asymmetries.

Unfortunately we live in a world that emphasises competitive sport that frequently results in deep tension and muscular imbalances, that can significantly effect us without our knowledge. In particular sports that are asymmetrical such as baseball, golf, hockey, tennis etc. seem to do quite bit of damage.

I also think that many of the long 'endurance' sports that are so popular such as cycling, running and triathlons are a desperate attempt to temporarily release endorphins in the body as many are living in a state of chronic pain due to postural issues. Resulting from sport or just desk based jobs. It is in my opinion an enormous epidemic and a relatively recent phenomenon that will continue to get worse due to increasingly sedentary lifestyles.

I have found a good Tai Chi teacher and this is having a significant positive impact but the timeframe is long and slow. An excellent book that address many of the issues is "The Egoscue Method of Health Through Motion", this lays lay all the problems, their increasing prevalence and effects. I would also suggest Kelly Starrett (on youtube) and Chistopher Summer (gymnastic coach) as other potential avenues to explore for others dealing with these problems. But it is difficult to beat live in person assistance.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000