Yamas & Niyamas - Restraints & Observances
 What is your daily food plan?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Babaly

USA
112 Posts

Posted - May 21 2006 :  4:25:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Babaly's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi there,

I'm just curious what it is you all eat. I know for me what I eat has a direct influence over my meditations and obviously my health...

So I'll start.... I suppose..

I'm vegetarian. I don't drink, smoke or do drugs. I stay away from most dairy and most white flour.

I only drink water or herbal tea with soy milk. No caffeine.

I do wheatgrass most days...

An example day could be:

Breakfast: soy sausage + baked mochi with kefir and a little maple syrup.

Lunch: tofu salad or lentil soup and rice pasta with tofu and veggies

Dinner: the same as lunch.

I'll have a fruit smoothie now and again and my treat is rice dream covered in carob.

Now... your turn:-)

Babaly

Edited by - AYPforum on Feb 05 2007 01:18:01 AM

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - May 21 2006 :  8:46:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, I'll go:

Vegetarian plus fish.

No smoking or drugs, I drink socially and preferably only on the weekend (though I do pay a physical price with any amount of alcohol).

Soy or Rice milk.

Lot's of whole grains, oats, nuts, beans, chic peas, lentils etc.

Love fresh fruit and vegetables, will get these in juice format when I can, I like to throw a little wheat-grass into the equation when I can too.

No white breads, I avoid sugars whenever possible.

Eat most seafood, salmon and some seafoods don't make me feel great after I eat them so I avoid them when I can.

Overall, I go by feel with food, what makes me feel good or bad dictates my choices.

Weaknesses: Tortilla chips and chocolate chip cookies!
Go to Top of Page

Babaly

USA
112 Posts

Posted - May 21 2006 :  10:22:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Babaly's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Anthem,

It's so helpful to me to see what other people eat.....I know it may be a little wacky but I have had so many trails and tribulations with finding a good balance for me and it seams to keep changing :-)

So I suppose I love to hear how other people do it and serve their bodies and their souls.

Babaly
Go to Top of Page

Yoda

USA
284 Posts

Posted - May 22 2006 :  12:53:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yoda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This too shall pass:

celery and carrot juice for breakfast.

either the same for lunch or spinach salad or v8 juice if I'm out and about.

Standard American Diet for dinner with extra fruit or salad.

Maybe another CC juice after dinner.

Can anyone comment on the tremendous amount of heat that eating fruits and veggies generates? I'm thinking that spinach is the culprit. I've got a slight carrot tan, too. Trey sexy.

-Yoda
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - May 22 2006 :  1:38:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
>> I've got a slight carrot tan, too. Trey sexy.

Yoda,

you can certainly get too much of the fat-soluble vitamins, of which Beta-Carotene ( a vitimin-A variant/precursor) is one.

Is a carrot-tan an indication of too much? It sounds dubious to me (though that is only an impression, that could be trumped by better knowledge...) Maybe you are taking too much carrot juice, and it, not the spinach, is the culprit?

-D

Edited by - david_obsidian on May 22 2006 1:39:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

Yoda

USA
284 Posts

Posted - May 22 2006 :  3:12:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yoda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
David,

That certainly is a possibility. I'm just going off Dr Fuhrman's Eat to Live where he says that it is healthy to have a slight tan from eating lots of fruits and veggies. But with the whole vitamin A thing in mind, I'm not going too crazy on the carrot juice. Maybe a total of 8-10 carrots a day.

-Yoda
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - May 22 2006 :  3:41:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My own unresearched impression or feel is that the juice of 8-10 carrots a day is quite high, as a steady-state diet anyway.

I did start feeling effects of too much carrot juice some years ago, and I was on less than that. But your body could be different.

One thing I noticed is that as my body went into a state of lower stress due to years of yoga and meditation, it seemed to be easier to get symptoms of excess nutrition.

This makes sense, since, as a result of not burning off so much stress, your body is better able to conserve, and can make do with less of certain nutrients and vitamins. With less being burned off, it makes sense that it is easier to go into excess.

Regards,
-D

Go to Top of Page

Yoda

USA
284 Posts

Posted - May 23 2006 :  09:19:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Yoda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Recently at the Onion.com I found the following news headline:

"NASA Unveils Plan to Launch $700 Million Into Space."

Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - May 23 2006 :  1:09:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Frank said:
I still would not spend any money on NASA deep space projects, but love to look up!!! Take all that wonderful funding and feed people, reduce pollution (eliminate it)

FYI, the space program is, and always has been, largely funded for military reasons. It's an 80%-military program in civilian clothing.

Oh yeah, ahem, sorry, getting back on the AYP track: which is why we have to meditate more, so we have clear minds and don't do silly things.

Edited by - david_obsidian on May 23 2006 1:12:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

Yoda

USA
284 Posts

Posted - May 23 2006 :  2:04:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yoda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
More meditation=fewer soldiers. Less outer space exploration too, I suppose.
Go to Top of Page

alan

USA
235 Posts

Posted - May 23 2006 :  2:28:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit alan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Babaly and all;

My diet has been moving more and more toward sattvic in the last couple of years. Taht (I love taht word) includes my total intake, not only physical food-stuff. I try to eat only organic (the word organic may be sometimes questionable). I'm still eating eggs, free range and organic (free-range and organic is also questionable). Though the other day, at his urging, I shared in my little boy's pan pizza with ham, a couple bites, it was an award coupon from doing good at school he cashed in at a local pizza chain (wonderful choices, eh?). So, as I ate the slaughtered beast, feeling every bit of the ingestion (and subsequant de-gestion), I thoroughly and radiantly ate of the sharing the divinity of the moment with my beautiful son. He eats rajasic/tamasic at his mom's, so what can I do? I wouldn't trade the moment with him, it was good eating.

I have also been ingesting early morning sunlight through my eyes for about a month now.

Peace, alan

Edited by - alan on May 23 2006 4:58:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - May 24 2006 :  10:17:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yoda and All:

If there are inner energy issues, make sure to take into consideration the ayurvedic aspects of diet. See this chart for some suggested guidelines on the ayurvedic properties of many different foods: http://www.aypsite.org/ayurveda-diets.html

For example, spinach can be pitta aggravating, causing excess fire in the body. Carrots can be pitta aggravating too. This does not mean do not eat spinach or carrots. It only means "self-pace" them if there are some excess energy effects. Using a little olive oil can reduce the effects of pitta aggravating foods. If that does not work, then try some of the foods that are pitta pacifying. Cabbage juice anyone?

Ayurvedic diets were first covered in the lesson on managing kundalini symptoms, here: http://www.aypsite.org/69.html
A little background on ayurveda, doshas, etc., is given there. Diet is one of the immediate things we can address to quell energy flare-ups, often with immediate results.

For the rest, the sum total of my recommendations on diet are -- Favor "light and nutritious." http://www.aypsite.org/30.html

All the best!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Yoda

USA
284 Posts

Posted - May 27 2006 :  5:14:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yoda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogani,

Thanks for the thoughts! I'm loving both my spinach and carrots... so it looks like cabbage juice it is!

-Yoda
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2007 :  01:18:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000