Illuminated Poetry, Quotations and Stories
 What a fun song!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hunter

USA
252 Posts

Posted - May 13 2006 :  11:35:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hunter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Row, row, row your boat gently down the stream
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily
Life is but a dream

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - May 13 2006 :  4:34:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hunter.. the downstream is fun.. it's when I hit the upstream.. life is not gentle or dreamy any more..
Thanks for posting this though.. we must have recited this a gazillion times growing up and then with my kids.. never applied it to real life though..
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - May 13 2006 :  7:34:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Try approaching upstreams with more of a downstream mindset. First, learn to really savor downstreams. Witness what it is to be merrily merrily merrily merrily, and retain that flavor for future reference. Sniff it like a bloodhound.

Eventually you'll see that you create your own upstreams. Like depression, it's about an accumulation of insignificant things. Just observe.

Life's downstream all the way, but we fight it. The turbulence of our thrashing about is what we perceive as upstreams

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on May 13 2006 7:35:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

alan

USA
235 Posts

Posted - May 13 2006 :  8:11:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit alan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I like what Frank's been sharing with us about his friend. Giving complete attention to the moment, and then making that attention exponential could make the stream, the up and the down, the sunlight sparkling on the water, the sounds the feel, tastes, smells an utterly unimaginable experience of...?
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - May 13 2006 :  8:41:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Alan and Jim.. that is a real good approach. I have been working on it and they do work well.. Thanks. I still have to make a conscious effort..
I like the idea of remembering the feelings of the downstream..

But this tiny breeze has a way of slipping in without warning.. even when there isn't the slightest breeze outside..

Edited by - Shanti on May 13 2006 9:42:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

alan

USA
235 Posts

Posted - May 13 2006 :  8:49:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit alan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Conscious effort! You bet. I'm with you buddy. All these 'wonderful philosophies' I like to share don't paint a picture of an everyday blissful reality for me. Ego's got me hunkered down in the trenches.
Makes me look to the little song Hunter shared with us as an enjoyable experience of relief from all this watch-it talk

Edited by - alan on May 13 2006 8:54:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - May 13 2006 :  9:46:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
All these 'wonderful philosophies' I like to share don't paint a picture of an everyday blissful reality for me. Ego's got me hunkered down in the trenches

Thanks for the truth Alan. That must have been a blow to your ego.. Good to know I am not the only one out here swimming upstream

Edited by - Shanti on May 13 2006 10:04:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

Maatsuah

USA
33 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2006 :  3:01:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Maatsuah's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That song just about says is all. I never really listened to the words in row your boat for a long time until I saw a movie called "How Stella got her Grove Back." Stella had to visit her friend in the hospital who was dying of cancer. During the visit Stella sang row your boat just to cheer her friend up and for the first time I heard other meanings in that song in the context of this scene.

Great Song.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000