Building a Daily Practice with Self-Pacing
 AYP sequence to prevent overload - question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Yuri

Russia
37 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  12:09:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
A lot of stories on this forum about overload.

Is there any modification from Yogani to basic AYP routine (like SB + DM) which is directed to prevent overload? Like focusing attention on the belly in the end of routine like in Mantek Chia books?

If not, perhaps long-term AYP practitioners have implemented something and can share their results...

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2011 :  12:37:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yuri

The basic "technique" in AYP to deal with overloading is "Self-Pacing". It's a proactive approach that works very well. The lesson on Self-Pacing is here: http://www.aypsite.org/38.html

We also use "grounding practices" as a way to overcome overload. But regardless of whether or not you are currently overloading it is a good idea to engage in some grounding practices. The best approach to overload (IMO) is to stay on the "right side" of the overload line. But sometimes overload will show up despite our best efforts to diligently pace ourselves, and then, lots of grounding and backing off of practices a bit for a while is the recommended approach here at AYP.

Hope this helps!

Love!
Go to Top of Page

Yuri

Russia
37 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  3:33:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi CarsonZi

With self-pacing it's clear (in theory at least)

My question is if any specific "grounding practices" have been built in daily routine by either Yogani or advanced AYP practitioners.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  3:51:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yuri

Sorry for misunderstanding.

Some practitioners use daily exercise routines, some people do tai chi, some people do gardening, tree hugging(), sports, specific bathing techniques http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=9244, there's all kinds of fun stuff you can do as part of a daily grounding routine. Personally, right now I am using yard maintenance (cutting grass, trimming hedges, gardening etc), cold showers, hard manual labor (I'm in the middle of developing my basement from scratch) and a lot of walking to stay grounded. I also include the occasional game of golf in there as I find that both grounding and a lot of fun! In the winter time I replace the yard maintenance with snow shoveling (I live in Canada so there's plenty of snow shoveling to do in the winter) and the cold showers with "hot/cold" showers.

Anyway, hope that helps a bit.

Love!
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  3:59:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I live in Canada so there's plenty of snow shoveling to do in the winter

Yuri you live in Russia ...plenty of snow shoveling too
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  5:09:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yuri,

Here is a past thread that you might find helpful on a grounding enhancement to AYP.

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=8764

Peace & Love.
Go to Top of Page

Yuri

Russia
37 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  1:49:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Carson

Well, it's clear also; I thought more of "grounding technique" inside AYP routine itself!! Like SB 10 min, then DM 20 min, then concentration on the belly 5 min

Jeff, thanks, yes, it's close to what I was looking for; the nature of discussion shows that no such thing as "grounding technique" exists inside AYP. Everybody is left to his own resources and creativity
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  2:17:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yuri,

I would agree with you on grounding. I think adding some energy grounding techniques might be useful to AYP. I have had very good experiences with adding it to my practices. I think the major concern with many of the energy grounding techniques (of other systems) is that they include components that may lead to earlier Kundalini or crown issues.

In general, discussions like this are normally in the "Other systems" part of the forum. You can probably find more info in that section.

Peace & Love.
Go to Top of Page

Yuri

Russia
37 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  09:56:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I found that there is a grounding technique in AYP: The Solar Centering Enhancement

http://www.aypsite.org/368.html

The idea is similar to Taoist practices but the attention is directed towards solar plexus.

It was added late in the lessons.

Have not found any information on forum from those who have serious overload, if it was useful or not.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2011 :  10:01:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Use the search link above. There has been quite a bit of talk about it.
Here's one, but there are a lot more:

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....ar,centering
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  11:08:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yuri....

I know that for some people Solar Centering has helped to mitigate some overload symptoms, especially when the overload symptoms that show up are related to increased head pressure etc. But I also know that for some people (1 person in particular), adding Solar Centering *increased* overload symptoms and it took them several months to get back to normal after just one day using Solar Centering. So, it all depends on the personal/individual state of the nervous system as to whether Solar Centering will be a useful tool for grounding.

Love!

P.S. Here is a link to a thread regarding the above mentioned person who, when using Solar Centering for just one day/practice, ended up overloading like crazy: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....hTerms=solar
Go to Top of Page

Yuri

Russia
37 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  1:22:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Etherfish & Carson, thanks

I tried to find the discussions, but all I found are from people who used the techinque for several days or weeks. Not clear for the long run.

And then in the next thread you (Carson) suggest ice and cold shower for grounding. When such things are discussed then IMHO basic method does not work.

And in the next thread another long-term practitoner puts that he can't meditate anymore... And in both threads NOBODY suggests solar plexus techinque as a remedy (?).

Edited by - Yuri on Jul 25 2011 1:30:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  1:47:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yuri & others,

It really depends on the type of "overloading" that you are experiencing. If you are experiencing too much overall energy, than Solar centering is not going to help. Solar centering is focusing your awareness and energy follows the awareness; hence more energy to deal with. But often, overload issues are really too much focus on the head (or upper chakras). This can cause headaches, pressure, sense of aloneness (or depression). In this case, solar centering can make a big difference by pulling the awareness out of the head.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5196 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2011 :  2:04:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yuri:

What you are asking is somewhat unanswerable, in that you are asking how to do two things at the same time in one practice. Purification/opening and grounding are things we do at different times. We meditate and then go out and be active. It goes in a twice-daily cycle like that. This is how the benefits of practice are stabilized/grounded in our life.

If we are not able to ground enough in normal daily activity to stabilize what we are opening up in practices, then we can self-pace our practice (scale back the time), and/or undertake additional grounding activities during the day. We can find our balance in that way, not by trying to ground with additional methods at the same time while we are meditating.

We can find a balance between deep meditation, spinal breathing pranayama and other elements of our daily practice, which is mostly what is being discussed here. It is well and good, but that is not a substitute for cultivating a permanent integration of inner silence and ecstatic energies in our life via daily activity when off the meditation seat.

So the suggestion is to structure and self-pace your practice for progress with comfort, make sure to take rest before getting up from practice (lying down for 5-10 minutes is good), and then keep a reasonably active lifestyle, whatever is comfortable for you.

In other systems, like Taoist, grounding may be a more integral part of the practice itself. But that is less true in yoga. And, you know, I sometimes hear from Taoist practitioners coming from the other direction, asking how to incorporate deep meditation into their grounding practice. I answer them much the same: Meditate and then ground. Don't try to do both at the same time.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

PS: We have additional suggestions for those who tend to be over-sensitive to deep meditation with mantra. You can find those here: http://www.aypsite.org/367.html

Go to Top of Page

Yuri

Russia
37 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  08:02:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Yogani

Thanks for your clear response.

I have got then another question to you. Really I don't want to raise Kundalini, which is the primary purpose of AYP. I think that for me personally it's too risky to combine K. raise with full involvement in business and family matters, and stresses, etc. But I would like to experience inner silence, and introduce it into daily activity, as you put it.

I had serious overload exeprience about 5 years ago - not with AYP, with another system, so I'm more cautious , just don't want to repeat.

The question is if I can use AYP routine for that. I think that I shall not touch more advanced lessons (as breath retention, mula bandha), and deal only with DM and SBP.

Do you have any suggestions for such an approach? Currently my main problem (as I see it) is eye tension during DM (not during SBP, perhaps sambhavi helps here). When I consciously try to relax them, it does not work.

Another problem is that initially SBP gave me a pleasant feeling, and raise of the mood which I felt in several hours after routine (very similar to the feeling after taking ginseng). But now I don't get it... And together with eye strain - overall result is not good.
Go to Top of Page

Yaming

Switzerland
112 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2011 :  4:03:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yuri,
to my understanding innersilence leads to kundalini awakening at some point. All spiritual practices do. It is just a matter of how it emerges. Just don't add many practices and self-pace. After all you are responsible for your journey :)
all the best
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000