New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2006 :  03:30:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by yogani

PS -- Kirtanman, make my pizza veggie, and hold the onions. Juice is preferred over soda. How do they get the drink under the door?

Well, as I imagine you have *some* knowledge concerning:

Killing *all* the mystery would take the fun out of it, yes?

By the way: "TGIIY" - I love it! (the "g" meaning -- "either-or", "both-and", "my guru is kind of geeky", "that geek is a guru!" ... etc. etc., ipso facto, so on and so forth.)

In fact, Silicon Valley is probably one of the few places on the planet (along with Austin, Texas and a few other choice locales, including, of course, these days - Bangalore) where someone can say, "Our Oracle Guru is that geeky dude over there ...." -- and not have anyone within earshot be confused or offended - or thinking that the geeky dude can predict their future enlightenment ...

TGIIY - YAVA*, fer shure.

(Yet Another Versatile Acronym!)

And for those of you dying for more techie trivia:

Did you know YAHOO! is actually an acronym?

... Yet Another Hierarchical Organizational Order.

Yes, really --- back when the Web was small enough, that Jerry and David (guys who founded Yahoo!) thought it could all be logically stored in a folder structure, as on a PC.

And by the way, Yogani -- I *do* know the secret (answer) to your question ....

Q. How do they get the drink under the door?

A. Easy. They put the door on the *far* side of the vending machines!

True Story: I was visiting a VP of Engineering at a networking products company during Boom 1.0 (mid to late nineties) - and noticed that not only were there vending machines containing just about everything imaginable - including (for vending machines) healthy stuff, including juice. Also laundry drop-off areas for laundry and dry-cleaning, and large signs with phone numbers for pizza, and the "concierge" (to cover everything else an engineer might need ...).

I was raising my eyebrows and making increasing loud "Hmm" type noises - to which the VP (deadpan) responded:

"We don't want them to leave. Ever."

Ah, the good old days (or not ....)

Peace & Namaste,

Kirtanman

Go to Top of Page

jupiter

USA
22 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2008 :  4:19:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit jupiter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

I am glad to see there has been some discussion around RSS some 15 months back. For the past several weeks, I have been hunting around the AYP forum for an RSS feed since it would be SO much more convenient than poking around all over the place for new and interesting content. This is true even with the Active Topics link.

Kirtanman has done a great job already of presenting why RSS would be so much nicer way to get this wonderful content to consumers out there. RSS readers are now built into browsers and web-based readers like Google Reader which I use are commonplace.

After poking around a lot, I found there was actually an unadvertised link (http://aypsite.org/forum/rssfeed.asp) that would allow one to subscribe to an RSS feed of AYP. Unfortunately this is not advertised anywhere. I suggest that this link be made available as part of the standard header that is displayed on every page on the site.

Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2008 :  6:18:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jupiter:

Thanks for bringing this up. If RSS is something that can be useful to the readership, I'll be happy to add a link on all the website and forum pages, perhaps near the top of the right-hand border.

I am a few years behind most folks with technology here, hopefully making up for it in other ways.

What does the RSS link you found show? Is it one that would be useful to readers for keeping up with new forum postings? I don't recall who created it, and would not know how to edit it or make a better one, if needed. Do you know how?

Thanks!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2008 :  1:30:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
PS: The RSS Feed link has been added to the upper right corner of all website and forum pages. Thanks much for the heads up, Jupiter!
Go to Top of Page

Echo

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2008 :  1:53:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Echo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
How does it work? When I click on the link, I just get a page that says "This feed contains code errors."
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2008 :  2:07:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Echo:

From what little I know, you need a late model browser (Firefox 2.0 can be downloaded for free), Google Reader (add the feed link as a new subscription there), or other live feed reader.

Firefox 2.0 works here and it updates new posts immediately. Google Reader works here too but has not been updating immediately.

I am sure others with experience can add useful pointers.

Good luck!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Echo

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2008 :  2:52:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Echo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by yogani

Hi Echo:

From what little I know, you need a late model browser (Firefox 2.0 can be downloaded for free), Google Reader (add the feed link as a new subscription there), or other live feed reader.

Firefox 2.0 works here and it updates new posts immediately. Google Reader works here too but has not been updating immediately.

I am sure others with experience can add useful pointers.

Good luck!

The guru is in you.

Thanks for that. It works for me now, in Firefox, but not Outlook or IE. I think I'm getting a little behind the times!

Edited by - Echo on Mar 16 2008 2:55:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

jupiter

USA
22 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2008 :  7:01:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit jupiter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Fantastic! Thanks Yogani for adding the RSS link to the header.

If you (the forum reader) are new to RSS and wondering what an RSS reader might look like, here is a screenshot of my Google RSS Reader showing the AYP RSS feed.

http://snipurl.com/21wj0 (this link will be available until May 1, 2008).

Also, I suggest folks look up RSS on the web to learn more about it. The Wikipedia is a good place to start. Here is a link to the RSS entry - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS

Yogani, the current link seems to be working reasonably well. I will look into whether we need to update the feed (for RSS 2.0 for example) and also see if Snitz Forums offers anything in this regard. For now though, the current link seems functional and very useful as it is.

One minor thing to consider adding... RSS feeds are typically noted with a special icon. If you see the Wikipedia article, it shows this standard icon everyone uses to depict an RSS feed. We can consider putting this icon right next to the link you have added. Here is a link to the RSS icon that is widely used - http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...icon.svg.png.

Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2008 :  7:19:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks much, Jupiter.

The Google Reader does not update the feed in real time here like Firefox does. Only every few hours.

We have had some intermittent delays with the RSS link. That is being looked at, so bear with us.

I will see about adding the icon.

How are live feeds shared in social networks, etc? Can you offer some advice on that to AYP forum readers? The more we can spread this around (ethically and legally), the better.

All the best!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

jupiter

USA
22 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2008 :  12:33:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit jupiter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I see the RSS icon is also up. Neato.

I am already finding the feed enormously useful.

For newcomers to RSS, this short video might help. Its called RSS in Plain English, and describes why RSS is useful.

http://www.commoncraft.com/rss_plain_english

Go to Top of Page

Echo

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2008 :  07:00:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Echo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just to say that the feed now seems to work in both Outlook and IE.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2008 :  1:53:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Jupiter and Echo:

Great stuff!

I'll add a few updates to the RSS announcement page reflecting your comments, and add a "help link" under the RSS link leading to the announcement page.

All the best!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000