Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 The Presence Process
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2011 :  10:25:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,
Sometime ago, a friend and fellow AYP-er wisely recommended this book and practice to me (thanks Josh!) - The Presence Process by Michael Brown. It is essentially a technique of coming into stillness (called "Presence"), by bringing intense awareness to a given emotion. An important part of this 10-week process is a specific breathing technique of "connecting" inhalation and exhalation without a gap (similar to rebirthing, etc), with a specific affirmation. This is supposed to be done twice daily, 15 minutes per session..

Anyways, since I don't have an additional 15 minutes to add to my AYP routine, I thought that just for the duration of doing the PP, I would experiment by increasing my SBP time from 10 to 15 mintues and connecting the breath during SBP, while maintaining the spine visualization and sambhavi and adding the affirmation - whew! After a clunky phase of about a week or two, I got the hang of it..

Interesting experience - ecstatic energy has surged, inner silence expanded greatly and finally that "third-eye to root connection" is being felt along with a general explosion in bhakti.. Disclaimer here is that a few weeks ago, I felt the urge to go to the second mantra enhancement (modified).. Not sure if it is the combination of the two or what - but this didn't happen with the first mantra enhancement..

Just wondering - if you have done the PP, can you please share how you integrated the breathing part with AYP? And general experiences with this process?

Thanks!

kami

sharon_k

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  12:48:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kami,

Does one co-ordinate the affirmation with the breath? As in once on inhale and once on exhale or something? Like say Ajapa or Hamsa?
Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  5:24:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sharon,
The affirmation for PP is "I Am Here Now In This" with I, Here and In thought during inhalation and Am, Now and This during exhalation.. It is hard to wander off with so much happening
Kami
Go to Top of Page

sharon_k

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2011 :  07:22:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Kami.

This seems similar to Anapanasati or more like Hamsa/Hong-sau?
Go to Top of Page

abhijit

India
6 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2011 :  11:11:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
is the presence process just like the sedona method
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - May 28 2011 :  08:33:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Kami,

I have not read PP, but I have found this type of practice very helpful. As you said, it is often hard to find the time for regular meditation, but you can always do a little energy work (or just focusing on being in the moment) while walking or driving a car.

Edited by - jeff on May 28 2011 08:44:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2011 :  8:35:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The question is, how much of the extra effects come from +5min spinal attention while breathing and how much from the mantra-add-on ;)

SPB 5, 10 or 15 mins differs very very much if combined with DM.

The PP part after 10 mins is most probably even decreasing the effects of pure SBP. The longterm test will show.
Go to Top of Page

catrynn

Ireland
68 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2014 :  09:43:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have just finished the first round of TPP and am not sure how to integrate it with AYP. Is it possible to do this? Has anyone done it over the last few years?
Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2014 :  10:31:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
catrynn,

Here is a link to a much more active thread.
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....&whichpage=7

Oh congrats on finishing your first round!

Integrating TPP and AYP seems to work really well. Now you can not do the TPP meditation, that is the place of AYP. All of the other techniques, lessons you can continue.
Go to Top of Page

catrynn

Ireland
68 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2014 :  07:59:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks jonesboy!

When you say that you cannot do the TPP meditation I presume you mean the continuous breathing. This is where I am getting confused. I gathered from Michael Brown that this breathing builds up and helps with the emotional integration. I have also gathered but I may be quite wrong, that AYP deep meditation is not dealing with this specifically but with the opening up of the spinal nerves. I know Yogani says it opens and purifies gradually but I get the feeling from experience that TPP breathing is to do with feeling emotions and integrating them. I feel these two techniques are completely different. If I want to do the spiritual meditation I would do AYP but I do not feel that my emotions are completely integrated so I don't want to stop continuous breathing at the moment.

Then I also wonder about Michael Brown's parting gift at the end of his revised edition which is listening meditation. I know it is not like AYP meditation at all as that uses the mantra, but it too promises entry to Presence which is basically ending in the same place as AYP. I have loved what I have done with AYP over the last while but is TPP and AYP really mix and match? I am not putting one against the other. I feel both are magnificent. Just different.

And that TPP is actually a complete system in its own right.

Edited by - catrynn on Apr 23 2014 08:18:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2014 :  10:27:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
catrynn,

What I believe most of us has done is once we are done with TPP we have gone back to AYP. I had great results doing so that are still lasting.

The practice would look like our normal AYP practice. When you are dealing with emotions, I know Josh has continued to use the TPP breathing method while dealing with emotions.

I am not sure that anyone has tried the energy work long term. I tried it a couple of times. I was thinking about adding it as part of the daily practice from my round 2 this summer.

Please let us know how it goes for you if you try it long term.

Go to Top of Page

catrynn

Ireland
68 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2014 :  04:30:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Jonesboy for your clear answer.

Yes, I thought most of those here who had done TPP return to the AYP practises and use them as the main system.

There are some - not here - who are using TPP as a main system. The more I get to know it, the more I realize that TPP is not just about integrating emotions. It is a system designed to take us 'out of time' into being 'here now in this' which is non dual and where self-realization takes us too. The Presence Michael talks about is what I would call God, which is also the aim of AYP. The continuous breathing technique Michael says, is one of the easiest and successful ways of entering 'I am here now in this' and leaving time-based experience. Of course integrating our emotional charges from our childhood is also a very powerful tool in this. But like AYP where we just have to be in the silence to communicate awareness of God, so too in TPP we just have to be with all our feelings without judging or suppressing them. We just have to BE with them to integrate them. We just have to BE with Presence to spread Presence throughout our lives.

I suspect we are so busy learning the emotional integration techniques that we overlook this whole side of TPP. Just read Part 4 Possibility in the Revised Edition to actually see where TPP is going for us.

If Michael Brown had only talked about integrating emotions and the techniques for doing so, then I would not have considered it as a full system. But he doesn't. There is breadth and height and width going into the non-duality of us 'being here, now, in this'. It is the connected breath that leads this way and helps us to live 'here now in this' and that is the reason to go on practising it for three to six months after finishing the 10 week course. That is why I am going to continue with it.

Thank you again for answering. I wouldn't have come to this realization without it!

Catherine
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000