Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Very rapid heartbeat during meditation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

daisyflowers

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  08:41:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit daisyflowers's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I posted about this back in October and have not actually meditated since as my experience is so overwhelming I don't feel I can continue-but desperately need to. My life is s shambles and I feel a great loss and emptiness from not practising.

Over the past year I feel like I have moved to some new level in my practice.Early last year after about 20 to 25 minutes of sitting, watching the breath, I would feel like I was being sucked into a black, warm void. It was pleasurable and I felt extremely relaxed and as if the body and mind had totally dropped away. Suddenly my heart rate would increase. And it would continue to increase until it was intolerable. Hammering loudly in my chest, faster thanI have ever expereinced, shaking my whole body. So much energy in my core.

To cut a long story short, I decided to try meditating again last night-my new resolution is to sit for only 3-5 minutes to get me slowly back into my practice and avoid the above situtation. After only about 3 minutes, all thought dropped away and I began the above 'journey'. I resolved that I would stay with any expereince and not 'pull myself back'. But again, it was incredibly overwhelming. I felt I would die if I did not open my eyes and try to ground myself. My heart beat was SO fast and loud.

I opened my eyes but even this did not help. My heart continued to race, every cell in my body was throbbing, my core was pulsating, I didn't feel at all in this world. This massive energy stayed with me for about another 5-10 minutes as I sat quietly, trying to deepen my breath to slow my heartbeat. After I left my cushion I still felt very spacey and 'vibrating'.

I so want to get back into a twice daily practice but am afraid! I feel like perhaps I am on the verge of something and the ego is fighting it but just don't know how to get through this.

Thanks.

tadeas

Czech Republic
314 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  09:30:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi daisyflower,

I'd suggest not going over 3 minutes if that is where the uncomfortable things start for you. Anything is fine if you can continue doing it on a regular basis.

Also, everything that is happening during the practice we consider a scenery in AYP. So the moment you have a choice either to go with the experience you're having or to return to the practice (e.g. breath or mantra), you would return to the practice. Instead of going into an experience, you'd pull yourself back.

It seems that you need stability and balance and that is not what any "breakthrough" will bring. It's more about finding a stable routine, be it only a few minutes. You can also read about grounding over here: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=2165

Take care.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  10:43:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi DaisyFlowers....

What I am about to suggest is NOT a regular AYP practice, but it is what came to mind when reading your post.

To me it sounds like you are sensitive to meditation, and that you are likely having a hard time staying grounded within your meditation. Perhaps you could try just watching the breath for 3 minutes or so while having some quiet, peaceful background music playing? This may help to keep you a little more grounded/on this plane while still gaining some of the effects of meditation. Again, this is not an AYP recommended way of meditating, but it is what came to mind here and who knows, maybe it will help maybe it won't. Just felt that it may help to keep you "here" (as opposed to being "sucked into the void") during a short meditation.

Good luck and keep us posted on any progress.

Love.
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  11:28:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Daisy,

You have a strong need for reaching God.So please,use that intense desire as a spiritual practice also. Read this lessons about bhakti and how to use it in your daily life:

http://www.aypsite.org/67.html

This lesson will guide you to the best solution for you.It will come (now is already coming cz you are here recieving some good advices).

Go to Top of Page

daisyflowers

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2010 :  7:58:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit daisyflowers's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Tadeas-that solution just doesn't 'feel right' to me. I was sitting for 20-30 minutes and was advised to reduce my time to perhaps 10 minutes. I took it down to 3 minutes and it happened again. Pretty soon I'll have to get up off my cushion as soon as my butt hits it!

As far as ignoring the scenery and returning to the breath-I'm aware that that is my mission during meditation. Just to remain present. And that's exactly what I'm trying to do. I have no personal choice when the blackness and light descend and my heart starts to race. It's like I'm being sucked in at high speed, as I'm paying close attention to my breath. I'm not fascinated by it and trying to experience something other worldly. I wish I could 'pull back' within my meditation but my heart just continues to get faster and faster until I open my eyes and even then continues for a few minutes.

Miquel-thanks for the link about Bhakti. It's very interesting. Just a little foreign to me still. Perhaps I will re-read it and see if it strikes a chord second time around.

A yoga teacher suggested it was kundalini energy I was experiencing. She asked if I suffer from anxiety, which I do. Saying that perhaps it was surging up as soon as I become still within. She suggested I use my yoga asana practice as my meditation instead of seated on a cushion. Still doesn't feel like the answer to me though.

I feel like a fool for saying this but perhaps I just need to go back to the beginning of AYP and start from the beginning. I'm on this forum because I started using AYP last year. But then I abbreviated my practice to exclude spinal breathing, and then excluded 'I am' and only focued on the breath. I can't actually remember when the above experiences started to happen but perhaps it was after I abbreviated my practice. I highly respect that Yogani's teachings are precise and methodical and I see that I decided to ignore these valuable teachings and take my own path. And it's not working!

That's the answer my heart is giving me. So I will start over, properly. And will come back to post an update afterwards to see what happens.

Thanks for your support.

Edited by - daisyflowers on Jan 15 2010 9:02:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

daisyflowers

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2010 :  9:40:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit daisyflowers's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
So I used the correct techniques, outlined by Yogani, tonight. Did about 10 mins spinal breathing and about 15 minutes 'I AM' followed by a couple of minutes of relaxation. No rapid heartbeat or strange experiences. Felt grounded and safe! Not sure how I strayed so far from the teachings and didn't even understand what I was doing. Good lesson.

Go to Top of Page

Voyager

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2011 :  9:12:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank goodness for a search function but I see the alarming problem I had tonight is rare.

I haven't been stressed lately, in fact life is pretty good. Even though my resting pulse rate is normally about 74, I'm extremely fit and healthy. I don't smoke and I had no caffeine tonight.

My meditation sessions are becoming extremely still and peaceful to an extent where I really am somewhere else. My body is extraordinarily and deeply relaxed with warmth from my hands right up to my head. It does take me quite some time to come back and sometimes I don't fully make it back. The best description of my brain is that my mind is actually glowing.

Tonight I had all of this again on a 20 minute session with a 5 minute coming round (on my phone application) except I felt shaky and odd. I've got another phone app which tests heartbeat so I stuck my finger on the camera and it read 95 beats per minute. I thought " no that's not possible! " I then immediately used a clinical blood pressure and pulse monitor - pulse was 95 and my blood pressure which is normally 120/69 was 144/84.
Half an hour later and it's coming back down and it's at 80 presently but it took the half hour after the meditation to come down.

Even though meditation is extremely blissful, extremely so, there are physical downsides for me and these seem to be a regular occurence with me and seem to be a similar situation to daisyflowers original post.

Do you think I need to reduce my mediation times? - I'd hate to do that because meditation is, well, wonderful.

Edited by - Voyager on Apr 24 2011 10:08:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

Voyager

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2011 :  10:35:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I must add that this wasn't a normal episode. It's the first time it's happened and what's worrying me is that a resting pulse of 95 is tachycardia.

It's about 3 hours since that meditation and my pulse is now back down to 71 - thank goodness.
Go to Top of Page

JDH

USA
331 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2011 :  10:56:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like nothing to worry about, Voyager. Sometimes the heart gets excited during practices, when energy is moving in new ways.
Go to Top of Page

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  4:13:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I had a similar experience yesterday, but it was some time after meditation, my heart seemed to be pounding excessively fast (even though I was lying down) and this went on well into the night (I woke up around 1am and it was still going on).
Go to Top of Page

Evannon

USA
26 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  7:53:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just wanted to add that I too am quite familiar with this rapid heartbeat thing. It was the first thing that happened in my body just before my first, truly astonishing kundalini "explosion." I'm so glad you went back to the basics, Daisyflowers. I did not have such a wonderful set of instructions when this happened to me on a vipassana meditation retreat, but I have since found that Yogani's instructions are well-designed to manage this kind of arising. I have particularly found the emphasis on the third eye to be crucial when the "fireworks" start to become overwhelming. I suppose it might be because the crown is a little too open? Check out the lessons on managing the crown opening for the detailed instructions. Rest assured: it's a "normal" part of the process and try not to fear or crave it; just observe it.
Go to Top of Page

chit-ananda51

India
127 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2011 :  3:08:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I glanced at this post while skimming through the forum. Highly relevant to my situation as well. One of my friend suggested " to imagine and feel" oneself lying down on the bottom of a pond(under-water) and I have found it to offset the rapid heart-beat rate.

Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2011 :  7:59:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Have any of you put on a heart monitor during this? It would be interesting to see just how fast you heart is going. i also have something like a rapid heartbeat sometimes, but I found out it is not my heart. It is kundalini energy. It feels somewhat like if a butterfly is flapping his wings against my skin.
I have a Polar brand watch with a wireless chest band to read heart rate.
Go to Top of Page

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2011 :  9:06:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
These symptoms of heart racing and/or fluttering seem like atrial fibrillation to me....a very common arrhythmia of the heart and should be checked out by a dr.....one of my friends had undetected a-fib and had a stroke.

I had a-fib and didn't even know it...got it fixed and feel great now!

Before blaming "kundalini energy" on heart issues...I would first get it checked out with a cardiologist.
Go to Top of Page

chit-ananda51

India
127 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2011 :  11:29:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Machart,

Thanks for the info. I underwent medical examinations(ECG and some other tests) to check for any abnormalities. The report turned normal. However I still got this heart beat going rapid but less frequent.

What kind of test was done to detect this irregularity? In my case, as the doc could not find anything abnormal, he suggested to test during an episode of rapid heart beat.

Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2011 :  08:17:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
some of the home heart monitors will register an irregular heartbeat. My Omron home blood pressure monitor does that. It's just a little wrist band with a monitor on it.

PS the kundalini energy that I thought was rapid heart beat WAS in the heart area. But upon monitoring the heartbeat at the same time, I was able to detect my real heart beat, which was regular, and much slower than the K energy. So now I am able to feel the difference without the monitor.
Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2011 :  1:08:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all,
Agree with machart.. Before blaming these kind of symptoms to k energy, its safer to get checked out. The most useful test is continuous heart rhythm monitoring - the duration of wearing a monitor depends on the frequency of symptoms. If this is occuring everyday, a 24-48 hour Holter should suffice. Longer duration event monitors go for upto 4 weeks. Anything occuring more infrequently would require an implantable loop monitor, that lasts upto a year. Other tests include an EKG, and echocardiogram (depending on physical exam).

Most often, palpitations are a result of "skipped beats" or "sinus tachycardia", which is just the normal rhythm going too fast - when it does this at rest (without the stimulus of exercise, emotions, anxiety, etc), it is called "inappropriate sinus tachycardia". Other arrhythmias could result from an underlying problem with the conduction system.

Having said that, in situations like DM, these symptoms could also be a result of vagal overactivity (just a theory - hasnt been reported in medical literature as far as I know).

Atrial fibrillation is definitely serious; however it most commonly occurs in those with high blood pressure, diabetes, sleep apnea, heart valve problems and just aging.. Altjough uncommon, "lone" AF without all these *can* occur, and is less concerning for stroke than when associated with the conditions above.

I've refrained from giving unsolicited medical advice (I'm a cardiologist), but *had* to jump in here

Hope it helps..

Love,
Kami
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2011 :  7:29:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Of course I wouldn't suggest you assume it is K energy; best to get it checked out. However, if like chit-ananda51 the doctor wants a test during rapid heartbeat, you may want to get your own monitor. My Polar cost less than $100. Then you can isolate the heart from k energy. Mine often happened just when I woke up, for 10 minutes so there was no doctor to monitor it, but I could do it myself. That taught me to isolate my actual heartbeat from kundalini fluttering. Why mine was in the heart area, acting like a heart beat I have no idea.
Maybe heart chakra or something? I rarely get it in other areas also.

PS yes I got my heart checked out at the urging of family, and it's fine.

Edited by - Etherfish on Nov 04 2011 8:57:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

chit-ananda51

India
127 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2011 :  01:22:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Etherfish,

It is interesting that I also face the heart fluttering as soon as I wake up(mostly) and after lunch(a heavy meal)! I have also noticed the rapid heartbeat sensation more while lying down and under stressful situations.

I will be checking with Doc when this symptoms if it occurs often hereafter. Now I feel OK. What machart and kami suggests makes sense to me.
Go to Top of Page

metatron

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2012 :  02:29:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
do not fear this metabolic rise (increased heartbeat)!!! i meditate myself and am telling you that this is the beginning stage of astral projection. if you accept what is happening and just let it happen, you will be able to pass into the astral plane. it is a state when your consciousness is free to roam the environment free of your physical body. simply thinking of your physical body will bring you back to it... its that easy. some people project (leave their body) so fast that they end up in space the first time, looking down at the earth. with practice you will gain more control of the experience and be able to leave at a controlled speed and be free to roam around at will. ( If your lucky, you may even meet an ascended being, like Thoth and learn much about yourself and the universe.)

remember, your body is only a thought away. do not fear enlightenment
Go to Top of Page

Evannon

USA
26 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2012 :  8:51:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Seems to me the crucial question is: When does the rapid heartbeat occur? If it's at rest or normal situations, I'd suspect a medical problem. If it arises just after achieving the kind of mindful peace daisyflower describes, I'd not waste my money going to a doctor before investigating meditation/kundalini issues first - i.e. trying some of the practices Yogani recommends. In my experience, the fast, hard, almost overwhelming heartbeat is not a "flutter" or a "skipped beat"; it is a very clear reaction to a new, mysterious, rising sensation. The more I learned to work with kundalini energy, the less my heart races - though it still does to some degree, just never overwhelming. I think it's because the increased heartrate is at least partially driven by FEAR. Perhaps fear and ecstatic (sexual) excitement. I feel I should re-emphasize: to me, it seems the difference between working with true Kundalini energy and mere sexual excitement has to do with the mind-state when the experience arises. Achieving a sense of ego-less-ness first is essential. Sounds to me like that's what Daisyflower was doing. My advice: fear not, concentrate on the third eye chakra, relax your body and your breathing, and let it flow. It will flow through you for a while, perhaps with more fun and exciting fireworks (don't become too attached!) and then let you go. It always lets go of me - usually within half an hour.

I agree with one of Daisyflower's first statements: I too cannot avoid the experience unless I avoid meditation, and my life is SO much better with meditation. So - learn to work with the energy rather than fear or fight it.

I sincerely hope this helps! Much love and light to you all!
Go to Top of Page

matt.j.spencer91

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2015 :  07:53:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I just had the same experience.
Go to Top of Page

StillFlowingWater

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2017 :  7:38:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I just had a similar experience and I've had it happen twice before. Just when my mind stops thinking and I enter a calm state, my heart starts pounding as if it doesn't know how to respond. everytime i let go of it, it beats louder and faster until i take it up and stop meditating. maybe it thinks I'm dead idk. I do have anxiety and my mind is usually restless so maybe that's it. Im gonna take it all the way next time and see what happens.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000