New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kishor Mistry

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2008 :  11:56:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kishor Mistry's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
ello All,

As a meditator, this site is the best. It answers so many questions.

I have been practicesing meditation for a while now & recently
had my Kundalini awakened. Wonder of wonders!. Rocking, swaying,
girating & jumping - all during my meditation - enjoying it all
on my journey towards attempting to acheive/experience bliss & enlightenment.

Anyway, last couple of weeks, there is constant ringing in my ears.
It emenates within me & is all pervasive at all times. Cannot escape
it even during activity. During quite moments - it is intense.

I guess this is "purification, opening & correction". But I would
most grateful for any opnions, views, comments, etc. Perhaps with
some advice on how to proceed to the next stage - in terms of
clearing the current Kundalina shakti blockage & so on.

Jai Guru Dev
Kishor

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2008 :  1:45:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kishor Mistry,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing your experiences. Ringing in the ears has been discussed in many topics. It recently popped up in this thread on overload symptoms (like rashes, ear ringing etc), where many links are included that may well be good for you to take a look at.

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=3551

About clearing blockages, this thread is a very good one to start with:

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=3296

/emc

Edited by - emc on Mar 06 2008 1:46:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2008 :  5:19:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It's meditation induced tinnitus. The Buddhists even have a name for it; Dibba-sota.
I have this tinnitus for quite some time now. I found that once when I took a long hiatus from meditation it all but disapeared. When I started up meditating again it came back!
It can be annoying at times but oh well. To me it just means that my meditation and it's effects are real.
Go to Top of Page

Nirodha

New Zealand
86 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2008 :  8:40:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nirodha's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kishor Mistry
last couple of weeks, there is constant ringing in my ears.

Kishor

Hi Kishor,

Just about every yogi I know that reaches Samadhi (meditative absorption) gets this ringing in the ears. It's been a constant companion to me for several years now. I sometimes use it as an object of meditation to great effect.

As LittleTurtle was saying, it's meditation induced tinnitus. And, it's known by a number of different names in various traditions.

During those times when it's quite intense, during your normal day-to-day activities, you may want to go off and meditate to see what happens. I've done so during such times and have found that my meditations were incredibly deep.

Peace
Go to Top of Page

brushjw

USA
191 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2008 :  9:34:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit brushjw's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Kishor,

The first step is to make sure that your tinnitus is not due to a medical problem. Some questions to ask yourself are: Have you had a head injury or severe cold recently? Is the sound "louder" when you become contemplative (not necessarily formal meditation)? Is the sound louder in one ear than the other? A good discussion of meditation-induced tinnnitus can be found here:

Clairaudience or the Divine Ear

If you are indeed experiencing meditation-induced tinnitus, I have found that it can be a great blessing but only if you accept it as the gift that it truly is, and use it as a guide to progressively deeper and stiller states of being within. I have found that the sound changes over time, becomes more complex and multidimensional. At this point it is one step in a process which leads me to experience dramatic energy movement within the body. Grace like rain, indeed.

It's also helpful not to get too focused on the sound, to maintain regular practice and allow it to occur and unfold within the context of the practice.

The guru is in you - the Sound of Silence calls to you.

aum namaste,
Joe
Go to Top of Page

Kishor Mistry

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2008 :  09:08:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kishor Mistry's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello emc, LittleTurtle, Nirodha, brushjw,

Truely grateful to all you for your responses. I am now certain that this is
definately meditation induced tinnitus.
Clairaudience or Divine Ear: It is this sentence from that link that has left me
anxious & worried - "But, this transformation is likely to render that individual
incapable of providing a subsistence for themselves.". The transformation - Charismatic vertigo - That worries me a lot.
Jai Guru Dev
Kishor
Go to Top of Page

Nirodha

New Zealand
86 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2008 :  11:19:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nirodha's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kishor,

I happen to know Jhanananda personally and studied with him intensively for several years.

That statement you mentioned, from his essay, is not something that I entirely agree with. And, is most likely a reflection of his own unique experience. One can stop these charismatic fruits from 'interfering' with one's current lifestyle simply by reducing one's practice regimen. Or, by adjusting one's lifestyle to more fully accommodate spiritual practices and their results.

Charismatic vertigo is something that I did have some mild trouble with during the first two years of my current practice. I used to almost topple over sometimes while trying to walk right after a really deep meditation. However, my psychophysiology seems to have adjusted to it now. And, I don't have anymore trouble maintaining my balance.

Kind regards

Edited by - Nirodha on Mar 10 2008 11:39:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

brushjw

USA
191 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2008 :  3:41:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit brushjw's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Kishor,

No worries. The phrasing in the article is a bit overdramatic. As you progress in your meditation your outside interests will slowly become less important to you. You won't just wake up one day suddenly incapable of taking care of yourself and ready for the looney bin.

Our lives are the sum result of the choices we make. To sit or not to sit; to concentrate on the spine or give up in frustration; to be unwilling to sit through uncomfortable emotions... Today I choose to work at a job I am overqualified for because making lots of money and climbing the career ladder are no longer primary motivators. Every day at work I am able to listen to divine bhakti music, I pause regularly to connect to the SoS, and I touch the divine in a tender place that makes me cry.

I understand your fear. Eventually, if you keep up your practice, the SoS will develop into a union with Existence that is so exquisite your fears will melt.

Aum namaste,
Joe
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2008 :  5:56:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
this is a case of tinnitus don't worry, i've been through the same as youd did and even went to a doctor and he started saying it was cold but i figured out later that it was related to meditation.

you'll get used to it and personaly i concider it as a vibration inducer in my head due to it's buzzning sound.

if you don't want it you can stop meditating it will stop in a short while as i've heard.

take care and don't worry be happy that's a sign of progress.

best wishes

Ananda
Go to Top of Page

Kishor Mistry

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2008 :  10:03:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kishor Mistry's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Thank you one & all for your comforting, reassuring responses. I am deeply grateful.
Initially, my simpleton brain went into a nose dive. The thought of being incapable
& not being able to provide & look after myself & family, shook me to the core &
for a few moments I even considered giving up meditation.
Last night's & this morning meditation did have a deeper trance like quality to it, as
I followed up on your suggestion & focus/concentrate on the ringing. For a while it,
even the volume went down a few notches. Marvelous. I shall continue & hope to
relate my experiences on this forum & to seek further advice & guidance.
Outside interests & control: Yes, absolutely - I have noticed that from being a control
freak, I have now slowley devolved numerous responsibilities to others, both @ work
& home.
I shall continue. Thank you everybody.
Jai Guru Dev
Kishor
Go to Top of Page

Nirodha

New Zealand
86 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2008 :  11:06:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nirodha's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kishor,

You're welcome.

When I first read Jhanananda's article, several years ago, I had the same reaction as you: The thought of not being able to provide for one's self and/or one's family is not a pleasant one, to say the least! However, now that I've gained experience in these matters, I realize that I can take it as far as I'm comfortable with, and leave it at that, if I wish to do so.

As Joe was saying, you're not going to suddenly wake up one morning so incapacitated that you have to be placed into care. ;)

I'm glad the suggestions about using the ringing sound as a meditation object worked out well for you. I thought they would.

Kind regards
Go to Top of Page

Lila

USA
10 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2008 :  5:09:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lila's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Truely grateful to all you for your responses. I am now certain that this is definately meditation induced tinnitus.

Kishor

Kishor,

I was trained in Kriya Yoga meditation. During the training they told us we would hear the divine sound due to the opening the guru had given us. I thought something was wrong as all I was hearing was a rininging. I finally mentioned this to one of the teachers and was told this was my divine sound.

If I pay attention during the day I can slightly hear the ringing. When I sit in meditation it is more pronounced. I was also told that the ringing might lower as more energy is cleared. The sense I had was we would know we had cleared all of our stuff when the ringing transformed into more of the conch shell sound. I was wondering if anyone on here has had that experience.

Blessings,
Lila
Go to Top of Page

brushjw

USA
191 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2008 :  3:55:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit brushjw's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Lila,

I call the divine sound the Sound of Silence (SoS) based on an audio dharma talk from Ajahn Sumedho. His talks aren't very structured so maybe you would get more out his online article.

I also first perceived the sound as a ringing in my ears. As I relaxed into the sound it became more textured and detailed, like the addition of a sound box to a stringed instrument. Concentration on the sound revealed that it was extremely complex and composed of many discrete elements. As my absorption increased the focus turned inward to a sort of cyclical turning sensation in the front of my mouth. Eventually the sound and movement became like a waterfall and I felt almost a physical entering sensation. Now it is occasionally associated with a current of energy which is perhaps the true Ambrosia - I breathe bliss. From my experience if I continue my practice this will occur more often.

It is important to realize that the SoS is a blessing and to embrace it, not try to avoid it. Let it lead you inward, keep following Yogani's lessons to the best of your ability, and your life will be transformed.

aum namaste,
Joe
Go to Top of Page

brushjw

USA
191 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2008 :  4:06:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit brushjw's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have found it fruitful to meditate on this paragraph from Ajahn Sumedho's discussion on the Sound of Silence:

"One can believe that the sound of silence is something, or that
it is an attainment. Yet it is not a matter of having attained
anything, but of wisely reflecting on what you experience. The way to
reflect is that anything that comes and goes; and the practice is one
of knowing things as they are."

aum namaste,
Joe
Go to Top of Page

dsp108

1 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2008 :  6:27:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit dsp108's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Namaste to all. Thank you very much for sharing your experiences regarding the Divine Sound. It has inspired me to return the favour by sharing my own experience, in the hope that others may benefit--as I have benefited from the generosity of others.

My experience appears to be similar to Lila's. The Sound has been with me for many years, and I believe it started shortly after being initiated into Kriya Yoga. It is a wondrous sound. It appears to be omnipresent, coming from no particular direction. It is ineffable--almost impossible to describe. The best approximation I can come up with is like the beeping of a telegraph but very high pitched and with an extremely short interval between beeps, with a bell-like sonorous ringing quality suffused throughout. It is in the background--I can often hear it clearly at night, and sometimes during the day if I am in silence or concentrate. The quality of the sound changes slightly depending on my physical and mental condition and lifestyle. At times when I have gotten out of the meditation routine or have been in a state of dis-ease, it has appeared to temporarily depart, sometimes for as long as several months--but it always came back. It has never disturbed; in fact, it is very soothing. It does not bother me and I do not bother it. I just let it do what is has to do and am truly grateful for the blessing.

I've grown up with a lot of New Age nonsense, so have developed what I believe is a healthy skepticism. Thus, I've experimented with the sound and tried to rule out medical tinnitus (but did not have it medically checked as it never bothered me). I tried closing both ears, one by one. It is not coming from one side. It does appear to be coming from somewhere deep within. If I close both ears very tightly, the sound becomes somewhat muffled. Although I can hear it without physically closing my ears, the most clear and resonant sound comes when I close both ears very slightly.

On a side note, my senses of hearing and smell have always been my most acute senses (perhaps as a consequence of my weak eyesight). In addition to the Divine Hearing, I have also had extra-sensory experiences of smell (for instance, smelling things over the telephone). It seems to be that the Sound and the Smell might be related, as they are in biology.

I don't have many "experiences" but this is something that has been with me for some time and I hope it is helpful for people. I am blessed to be around people who distinctly and clearly hear all of the Divine internal sounds at will, so I am just happy and filled with gratitude that the Divine seems to be starting its work on me... !

Thank you all again.

Tat Tvam Asi
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - May 13 2008 :  08:32:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

Neh

India
2 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2015 :  05:53:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Me too get to listen to a beep like sound
Go to Top of Page

Yogiswara S

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2016 :  9:03:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This is an auspicious effect of purification of the nadis called "anahata nada" or the unstruck sound. Just google it. When purification is complete it will stop in favor of a rich silence.
Go to Top of Page

thomasbrewer

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2016 :  12:18:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Uncertain about exactly what you're seeking, before acquiring any medicine or herbs you must consult a physician. To learn more or to become knowledgeable you can go through some great websites like EverydayHealth etc ... also you will get a totally free ebook on ear ringing here http://www.tinnitustreatmentsuccess.com
Go to Top of Page

Shyam Pandey

India
3 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2016 :  09:28:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

ello All,

As a meditator, this site is the best. It answers so many questions.

I have been practicesing meditation for a while now & recently
had my Kundalini awakened. Wonder of wonders!. Rocking, swaying,
girating & jumping - all during my meditation - enjoying it all
on my journey towards attempting to acheive/experience bliss & enlightenment.

Anyway, last couple of weeks, there is constant ringing in my ears.

I guess this is "purification, opening & correction". But I would
most grateful for any opnions, views, comments, etc. Perhaps with
some advice on how to proceed to the next stage - in terms of
clearing the current Kundalina shakti blockage & so on.

Jai Guru Dev
Kishor

Dear all

I also have meditation induced tinnitus discovered a lot about this problem. I am also practicing kriya or you may say just started. Since last three weeks I am hearing this sound like jhingur or insect sound, Continuously I also consulated to doctor he gave me some medicine related virtigo ..but it is still buzzing. Could you please explain what it is. Should I go to second opinion of doctor or stay with it.

Shyam
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2016 :  11:09:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shyam,

Welcome to these AYP forums, first of all if you don't trust it go to a doctor.

I did not read all the old posts. Just would like to answer you, with purification we can here our nada's, our inner sounds like Yogiswara mentioned. The one you mention is chin or chinchin, sound of crickets or bells. Mostly we will hear this in the left ear.
Nada is the inner sound, your connection with the Universe. It will change, there are 9 nada's and it is a sign of purifying the nadi's.
Go to Top of Page

Shyam Pandey

India
3 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2016 :  10:09:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks a lot

I heard this is very positive development
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2016 :  05:22:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

Shyam Pandey

India
3 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2016 :  08:16:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Mr kishore could you recommend to visit doctor he extended my medication to 10 more days ...that medication is taking care of virtigo (nerobin and other) do you think it will work
Go to Top of Page

jean

Germany
107 Posts

Posted - May 07 2016 :  08:55:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I found that the ringing is related to imbalance in the ida/pingala.
When both are balanced there is a deep silence. I experience a louder ringing when the pingala energy is high.
Go to Top of Page

maverick angel

France
42 Posts

Posted - May 10 2016 :  08:09:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit maverick angel's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It's the nada, it's well documented in the yoga upanishads where it is said we should let the mind dissolve into it, subtler and subtler sounds may be perceived along with the divine sounds of drum, flute, harp-like instrument, tinkling ornaments ect, it is a very good sign:)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000