AYPsite.org Forum
 Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 the bible
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

USA
146 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2007 :  04:55:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit avatar186's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
ive been reading the bible on and off for a while now.
it seems like it may pertain to such practises. even in job, 41 and 42, it talks of the behometh that was made with man, who can tame such a creature. and the one who sits by, and under the lotus.
theirs also a rock talked about all threw out the bible,
this rock spits water out, its the rock witch the builders rejected and is now their capstone and such. even in revalations, the serpent spews a river out of its mouth, in order to try an overcome the women who was given eagle wings to excape that serpent. she also stand on the moon, and is clothed in the sun.
Not too mention moses, and the passover? or sabbath. he says to eat bread for however long, and then to eat unleavened bread, this is bread without yeast right? the ferment? i once heard the ferment was the spirit. bible spacifically says to be born agian, one must be born of spirit and water. that in itself seems obviouse, but! it could be just me.
also talks of wines, and many parables of such, the nightly theif. how no one can approch the sword of god, unless he has tamed the leviathon. just seems interesting no?
It states that the the path to the kingdom of god is being given, and also says men will read and interpret the book, and make rules for men, and that these rules are just that. rules of men from men.

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2007 :  12:11:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
...even in revalations, the serpent spews a river out of its mouth, in order to try an overcome the women who was given eagle wings to excape that serpent. she also stand on the moon, and is clothed in the sun.

I recently just found this place in the Bible as well. I found it extremely clear and beautiful. But I have no knowledge of the Bible. Who wrote the revelation part and when?
Go to Top of Page

USA
146 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2007 :  04:39:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit avatar186's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I dunno, lol. this isnt in the bible, but came up in my mind a while back too. the firy moon and icy sun. the sun being prana, and the moon being the cuagulateing sexual energy. but! i dunno.
all the references of growing plants in the bible too. people almost seem to be animal and plant. ha we bloom no? LOl
alchemy seems to be related to it all as well.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2007 :  07:15:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Avatar and EMC

i have been trying to understand this stuff for a while. It's all pretty deep and kind of lost in time (and translation). As far as I can tell, the Behometh is the ego, and the one who sits by is the true Self (the atman). The rock is the apparent physical world, the water is the spirit (shakti kundalini) which rises to meet the sun (son/ christ consciousness). The moon is shakti and the sun is siva.
I don 't know about Moses, but the way Jesus talked it was like the bread was the Christ (supramental consciousness) and wine is the spirit (prana/ shakti). The sword of God is the spinal colum, also reffered to as staff, pillar, rod, serpant, tree etc.
The stuff about rules is about moral codes that apply to societies (created by men) no longer apply in the spiritual life, where only divine rules apply (made by God).
I find it fascinating. I would love to meet somone who actually knew about this stuff.
Swami Yogananda (I believe) wrote an amazing book called the Second coming of Christ, which explains all this stuff in great detail. It is more than 1000 pages in 2 volumes, so it is quite a heavy read, but absolutely fascinating. He is a great sage, and he explains in deatil how Jesus performed his mirracles, by tapping into energies from the astral and causal realms.
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2007 :  1:13:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There's a book I am interested in called The Yoga of Jesus
Go to Top of Page

kingdomofgod123

1 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2007 :  07:41:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit kingdomofgod123's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Bible study refers to the detailed study of the Bible or the gospels. In order to gain from Bible study, it is essential to know how to study this holy book. Bible study is essential for those of the Christian faith. It is said that a true Christian should have a strong yearning to study the Scripture. Bible study is important in that it teaches Christian precepts and truth.
http://www.gvelc.com
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2007 :  1:02:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kingdom, and welcome!

Study of scriptural writings in the tradition(s) that resonate with us is certainly an important part of our spiritual path. Desire/devotion is a key factor in this, as in all matters spiritual. Eventually, spiritual study becomes internalized to be a direct cognition of truth within us, assuming we have been engaged in an effective integration of daily spiritual practices over time.

This is as true for Christians as for anyone, as the ancient monastic orders well know. Now it is time for everyone to know. With daily practice of deep meditation, breathing techniques, physical postures and maneuvers, intelligent management of sexual energy, and other methods, human spiritual transformation is in the cards for everyone. We are wired for it. This is the message of the Bible:

"The kingdom of God is within you..."

You might be surprised how many in this community come from Christian roots, myself included. Of course, sectarian posturing and proselytizing are not part of the discussion here. We are interested in what works for people of all backgrounds, and that is why you can find people from every tradition in the AYP community. The human nervous system is the common denominator in all spiritual matters -- each of us is a doorway to the infinite. No exceptions.

The Secrets of Wilder novel is a story about how life-changing spiritual practices can be undertaken and reach fruition within a Christian cultural framework. It can happen in every cultural framework, and does!

Wishing you all the best on your chosen path. Enjoy!

Christ is in you.

Here we also say, "The guru is in you." Same thing.
Go to Top of Page

USA
146 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2007 :  10:33:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit avatar186's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
in revelations, it says their was a women, who was to have a "son"
but their was a dragon "waiting" for the son to be born. why wait?
anyways, so he could swallow him whole.

she was given "wings" to escape the dragon for a time, but the serpent spewd a river from his mouth in order to overcome the women, and but the eath opened up and swallowed it.

could it be, the wings are the "strongly" upward flowing spinal nerves.ie only my brother and sister, sun and moon, can kill the dragon. the earth possable the solar plexus? or the sun being here or the head.
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2007 :  06:39:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've been trying to figure out these passages for years now, with no luck.
Go to Top of Page

USA
146 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2007 :  12:29:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit avatar186's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
once watched a cartoon , end of evanglion. only good in japanese.
haha deep stuff ya? lol in ah split second flash, it depicts the "angel" at the bottem, im assuming representing the ascended/purifyd sexual center, the egg of lilith above,
"solar plexus" and a bright star above that. you can watch is on youtube, its split into about 10 or 11 episodes
Go to Top of Page

BeezBuzz

Australia
39 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2015 :  01:53:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Christi

Swami Yogananda (I believe) wrote an amazing book called the Second coming of Christ, which explains all this stuff in great detail. It is more than 1000 pages in 2 volumes, so it is quite a heavy read, but absolutely fascinating. He is a great sage, and he explains in deatil how Jesus performed his mirracles, by tapping into energies from the astral and causal realms.

Hi Christi.
Yogananda also wrote "God Talks with Arjuna", drawing from Lahiri Mahasaya's insights into the Bhagavad Gita. Basically, he showed that everything ( places, people, situations , etc) in it symbolized something in the mind.

This video speaks of some examples from the Bible (Old and New) that are allegories for things in the brain/mind. All holy texts are.

Those deeply attached to the literal story will be offended, but that isn't my intention. This is just a different explanation, not an attack on anyone

http://youtu.be/fSRv7qFfZjs
Go to Top of Page

Mats

Germany
43 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2024 :  6:50:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

May I ask a question - and please dont get me wrong: As you consider the Swami a great sage (that he is, blessed with divine foresightedness), why dont you follow his teachings?
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2024 :  7:37:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Mats,

I consider many people to be great sages including Jesus, Swami Yogananada, The Buddha, Krishna, Mata Amritananada Mayi, Anandamayi Ma, Saint Teresa of Avila, Ramana Maharshi, Swami Sri Hans Raj Maharaj, Patanjali and many more. We are actually blessed to have had so many amazing teachers on this Earth. I study the writings of all of them, if they left any writings, and benefit from their teachings.

But when it comes to spiritual practices, it is good to practice within one system. The practices within a system are designed to work together to bring about a balanced spiritual awakening. And just because someone was, or is, a great sage, does not mean that they have knowledge of many spiritual practices, or of the best system of practices to bring about the most effective spiritual awakening in humans. Spiritual practices and methods have been evolving over the last few thousand years and have improved a lot since the early days. Personally, I believe that AYP represents the best system of spiritual practices available in the world today. Combining mantra meditation with Spinal Breathing Pranayama between the root and the brow, represents a quantum leap in terms of human spiritual practice. It takes the safest and most effective way to purify the subtle nervous system and combines it with the most effective meditation practice. When this is combined with samyama, mudras, bandhas, asana and self-inquiry practices, it produces a system that is a long way ahead of anything else available. Swami Yogananada was a great teacher and a great yogi, but he did not put together a system of spiritual practice that is as effective as AYP.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2201 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2024 :  03:31:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Combining mantra meditation with Spinal Breathing Pranayama between the root and the brow, represents a quantum leap in terms of human spiritual practice. It takes the safest and most effective way to purify the subtle nervous system and combines it with the most effective meditation practice. When this is combined with samyama, mudras, bandhas, asana and self-inquiry practices, it produces a system that is a long way ahead of anything else available. Swami Yogananada was a great teacher and a great yogi, but he did not put together a system of spiritual practice that is as effective as AYP.

I can testify to this
Go to Top of Page

Mats

Germany
43 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2024 :  09:45:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

And just because someone was, or is, a great sage, does not mean that they have knowledge of many spiritual practices, or of the best system of practices to bring about the most effective spiritual awakening in humans.

Not all sages have laid out spiritual practices and how to do them effectively. Yet some of them have. As those sages where highly advanced and blessed with foresightedness, why didn't they put forth a system of practices to bring about the most effective spiritual awakening in humans?
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2024 :  10:46:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Not all sages have laid out spiritual practices and how to do them effectively. Yet some of them have. As those sages where highly advanced and blessed with foresightedness, why didn't they put forth a system of practices to bring about the most effective spiritual awakening in humans?

Hi Mats,

Putting together a set of spiritual practices that will effectively and safely bring large numbers of humans to liberation, is a different skill than attaining liberation. Someone could practice yoga for many years and attain unity and liberation and be living in a state of divine bliss, but that would not make them a great musician or artist. If they wanted to become a great musician, or artist, they would have to train in that. It is the same with putting together effective systems of spiritual practice. It it not knowledge that comes automatically with the process of liberation. It has to be studied and learned, and actually takes many years, or even decades of study. It is necessary to look at what works and what does not work, and to refine the practices, taking away things that do not work, and improving the things that do.

It is also good to remember that in the pre-internet days it was very difficult to learn spiritual practices. First of all someone would need to find a teacher, and then ask to be trained. Then many teachers would have preliminary practices, intermediate practices, and advanced practices, that they would give to students. Sometimes, a student would need to engage with the preliminary practices for five to ten years before moving to the intermediate practices. Then again, it could be another five to ten years before they would be given advanced practices to do. So, just to learn the practices from one teacher, within one school, could take twenty to thirty years, or more. On top of this, students were often asked to sign documents to say that they would not reveal any of the practices they were learning to anyone else, not even their husband or wife. And they were also often asked not to engage in any other spiritual practices whilst training in one school.

This means that it was extremely difficult for someone to learn multiple advanced practices from many different systems and put them together to form new, more effective systems of spiritual practice.
Go to Top of Page

Mats

Germany
43 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2024 :  09:55:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Someone could practice yoga for many years and attain unity and liberation and be living in a state of divine bliss, but that would not make them a great musician or artist.

No, it doesn't. But I assumed if someone practiced yoga for many years and attains unity and liberation, they appartently know effective spiritual practices that can bring about the most effective spiritual awakening. But I kind of understand your point. Practicing yoga and even attaining liberation does not necessarily make you well schooled in spiritual practices in general.

quote:

I consider many people to be great sages including Jesus, Swami Yogananada, The Buddha, Krishna, Mata Amritananada Mayi, Anandamayi Ma, Saint Teresa of Avila, Ramana Maharshi, Swami Sri Hans Raj Maharaj, Patanjali and many more. We are actually blessed to have had so many amazing teachers on this Earth. I study the writings of all of them, if they left any writings, and benefit from their teachings.

When you say you benefit from their teachings, I suppose you are talking about (more or less) the philosophical aspects in their teachings, ideas, parables, insights, being human, living a good life. You are not talking about concrete spiritual practices.

It is good to read. I consider AYP my way of spirituality and when it comes to the writings of sages, I tend to wonder if it fits in the AYP-way. However, there are beautiful teachings from sages concerning dealing with death for example or spiritual life in general. I guess I struggle because even the writing of the sages can be contradictory and adopting those teachings at will can feel like cheating myself.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2024 :  11:44:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Mats,

If someone attains unity and liberation, then they must have been doing something that worked for them. That does not mean that they were necessarily doing something that would work for someone else. And it also does not necessarily mean that they were doing the most effective set of spiritual practices that they could have been using. Something else may have got them there faster and with less ups and downs on the road. They may have found one or two practices, or several practices, that they resonated with, and that they were ready for at that time, and went all the way with them.

But, if you take a large number of people, those people will be on a spectrum. And it could be quite a wide spectrum. Some of them may not be at all ready for the spiritual practices that that person was engaging with, and those practices could actually be harmful for them. Other people may need different practices, designed to purify different aspects of the subtle nervous system. Some may be ready for more advanced practices. So, designing a spiritual system that will work for everyone, or at least for the vast majority, is not an easy thing to do.

And yes, studying the lives and teachings of saints and sages is a very beneficial thing to do. This does not mean that we need to practice everything they taught. There is a lot of power in having one system of spiritual practice and sticking with it over the long term. But, we can still benefit a lot from reading spiritual teachings from other traditions and other schools of yoga. And yes, things can seem contradictory at times. But interestingly, those apparent contradictions become less and less over time, until they dissolve completely.

And I would not consider that you are cheating yourself to pick and choose different teachings to study at different times. All these things only exist for one purpose, which is to further human spiritual liberation. They are not actually true in and of themselves. They are all just fingers pointing to the moon. So, we can make use of them as we need to, at the times that we need to. If you have not come across it already, Stephen Levine wrote a beautiful book on death, called "Who Dies?". And the Katha Upanishad is another beautiful text on the subject of death.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000