AYPsite.org Forum
 Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Swara
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bodhisearcher

7 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  3:15:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhisearcher's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi All,

does any one here know anything about Swara Yoga? I have read a book By swami Satyanada recently.
The Predominant swara is indicated by the nostril that flows the most freely ie; Pingala the right nostril is free, ida the left nostril is free and shushumna both nostrils are free.
Ordinarily this changes every 90 minutes or so from left to right with a brief 4 minutes with both flowing. If one is flowing predominantly for a long period it is a sign that something is not right in the body.
I have become aware recently that Ida is predominant every time i stop to look. It varies in degrees of blockage.
Does any one have any insight to offer on this phenomena.

Peace
Ciaran

Edited by - Bodhisearcher on Mar 06 2007 3:22:30 PM

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  12:11:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Bodhisearcher

Hi All,

does any one here know anything about Swara Yoga? I have read a book By swami Satyanada recently.
The Predominant swara is indicated by the nostril that flows the most freely ie; Pingala the right nostril is free, ida the left nostril is free and shushumna both nostrils are free.
Ordinarily this changes every 90 minutes or so from left to right with a brief 4 minutes with both flowing. If one is flowing predominantly for a long period it is a sign that something is not right in the body.
I have become aware recently that Ida is predominant every time i stop to look. It varies in degrees of blockage.
Does any one have any insight to offer on this phenomena.

Peace
Ciaran

Welcome to the forum Ciaran.
Swara Yoga has been discussed in this thread
Swara Yoga and Helping Patanjali
Hopefully you will find an answer to your question there.
Wish you all the best.
Go to Top of Page

Doc

USA
394 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  12:32:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Doc's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome aboard, Ciaran!

You might find these articles to be of interest regarding Swara Yoga.

1)

The Almighty Breath

Swara yoga is an ancient science that correlates the breath with the sun, moon and the five elements, helping us to control moods, heal ailments and be attuned to the cosmic rhythm
By: Prem Nirmal

Would you like to know how to meditate better? How to be more effective when addressing an important personage? How to change a mood or feeling? How to be in rhythm with the universe through the day? Well, believe it or not, the answer lies in the breath. And swara yoga is the science that helps you to understand how to maximise your potential by manipulating your breath. A holistic branch of knowledge found in Shaiva Tantra, swara yoga is said to have originated as a result of a question Shakti asks on the nature of the governing forces of the universe. Lord Shiva gave her a detailed and profound tuition on swara yoga in response.

The word “swara” in Sanskrit means sound or a musical note. It also means the continuous flow of air through one nostril. The word yoga means union. Thus swara yoga is the science of breathing undertaken for the realisation of cosmic consciousness. This knowledge was kept secret since the Vedic period and imparted only to a select few, mostly kings and dedicated spiritual seekers through the guru -shishya parampara.

A beginner may think of swara yoga as “pranayam” as it is associated with breath, but there is more to it. Swara yoga is a systematic practice of the observation of the breath flow through the nostrils in relation to the time of day, the prevailing phases or the position of the moon, sun, planets, seasons, and the play of five basic elements (earth, water, fire, air and space) with the physical, mental and emotional conditions of the practising individual. Swara Yoga helps by guiding you to take appropriate action in accordance with these subtle relationships. For example, knowing the phase of moon and checking the dominant nostril before getting out of bed in the morning and letting the corresponding foot be the first to touch the floor, is a simple practice that helps you align the subtle flow of energy that ensures success in everything that happens for that day.

The original script of Shiva Swarodaya, the most popular scripture to study swara yoga, consists of 395 sutras with amazingly detailed descriptions of various practical aspects which can be easily learnt and practiced by a modern scientific man with confirmatory tests. The practice of Shiva Swarodaya allows us to synchronise our breath with the universal rhythm. This alignment removes undue efforts, stress and strain from our daily activities. Swara Yoga practice helps us to change unwanted physical, mental or emotional states at will, create favourable conditions for one’s life by changing the internal environment thus improving one’s attitude towards life through increased awareness.

Here is how it works. The right nostril dominance is associated with pingala nadi or surya nadi (nadi is the channel through which pranic energy flows in the body; we are said to have 72,000 of these nadis but there are three principal ones, of which pingala is one. Another is ida and these two are said to flow along the length of the spinal cord, on either side of the main nadi or the shusumna). The pingala, which is the masculine or solar principle, is associated with the left hemisphere of the brain that controls the right side of the body. The left nostril dominance is associated with the Ida nadi or chandra nadi, the feminine or lunar principle, associated with the right hemisphere of the brain and controlling the left side of the body. Just by observing the direct effect of solar and lunar currents of breath on human behavior, swara yogis were able to ascertain the activities best suited during the left nostril dominance and activities best suited during the right nostril dominance. The nose can be seen as the main switch of cerebral hemispheres. It can stimulate electromagnetic activity on one side of the body and it can switch the hemispheric activity on and off at will. The following table gives activities associated with the nostrils.

Activities Associated with the dominance of each specific nostril

Left nostril dominance
(right brain activities)
Right nostril dominance
(left brain activities)
Beginning of regular intellectual studies Learning or teaching martial arts
Long-term activities Temporary activities
Stable business; requiring no movement Unstable business; requiring movement
Worshipping the guru Seeing the king, addressing officials
Playing musical instruments, singing, dancing Writing a manuscript, practice of tantra, mantra, yantra
Planting, gardening Chopping wood, lighting fire
Construction of a hermitage, temple War, destruction of the country
Building wells, swimming pools, ponds Cutting jewels, gems, sculpting
Giving charity, lending money Accepting charity, borrowing
Opening bank account
Gambling
Journey to far off places Journey to nearby places / return journey
Enjoy meditation Sexual or angry expression
Performing auspicious acts
Worshipping evil spirits
Service Ordering or giving commands

At any given time, we only breathe through one nostril. You can check this for yourself right now by closing one nostril after another. The dominant nostril changes on its own accord every one to two hours. You can choose to do activities appropriate with the nostril as per the above table. But on occasions you might need to adapt the nostril to the activity, such as while doing meditation (left nostril) or undertaking a strenuous activity (right nostril). Here are some tips on how to change the active nostril.

Sleeping on the left side opens the right nostril, while sleeping on the right side opens the flow through the left nostril. Plugging the active nostril or the corresponding ear with a cotton plug can close it and open the other. Inhalation through the active nostril and exhalation through the inactive nostril helps to change the dominance. Cold water or hot water bath helps to change the dominant nostril. The swaras can also be opened by placing pressure on the opposite armpits (this is why many portraits of ancient sages always showed them meditating with a stick under their armpits!). There are other, purely mental methods.

Swara yoga also deals with the third swara, the “shushumna” breath where the left and the right are perfectly balanced. It represents “Shiva” (pure consciousness) in the state of “so-hum”. Whenever the nostrils switch, both are open for seven to eight breaths. That is the time when the shushumna breath flows. No worldly activities are recommended in Shiva swara. One must meditate. Intuitive knowledge is received best during this state. A yogi tries to remain in shushumna swara for maximum duration.

The practice of swara yoga can produce miraculous results. Try these simple measures:

If you want to alter an unwanted physical, emotional or mental state, just breathe through the more congested nostril. This prevents worsening of the symptoms and promotes rapid recovery. Swara yoga advises changing of the active nostril at the first sign of any physical, emotional or mental disturbance.

Whenever it is desirable to influence the other person, if one’s right nostril is operating, the person to be influenced should be positioned onto the right, below or behind. In case of left operating nostril, onto left, above or in the front.

Get up each day at least half an hour before the sunrise. Find out the dominating nostril. Kiss the corresponding hand. With the same hand, touch or rub face, neck, chest, thighs and feet. Then while stepping out of the bed, the foot that corresponds to the operating nostril should be placed onto the ground first. Then one can proceed for the morning activities.

To cure the common cold, breathe through the right nostril 21 times by blocking the left nostril. Also sleeping on the left side gives considerable relief; as it activates the right nostril.

In case of acidity and fever, activating the left nostril helps. You can block the right nostril and breathe through the left nostril 21 times. Also sleeping on the right side helps to reduce fever.

Swara medicines can be prepared with the knowledge of swara yoga. Swara medicines work at the vibrational level and can help the patients without any side effects.

Swara yoga is a practical science that can help us to get attuned to cosmic rhythms and to maximise the potential of the breath. Make the best use of it!

2)

Swara Yoga

Briefly Swara Yoga is the very ancient science that deals with the various qualities of the flow of the breath in both nostrils in terms of both cellular and cosmic import. The ancient Rishis believed that learning to read the breath and manipulate it, we can learn to read the outer and inner universe and also come into harmony and greater function. Also an elaborate system of astrological prediction and tantric activites are also contained in many of swara yoga practices.

The science is based on the observation that the breath has many subtle characteristics and in a healthy person "normally" will want to alternate as being dominant from one nostril to the other approximately every 90 minutes.

There are many factors which influence this flow (swarodaya) including the lunar cycles, the time of day, etc. Briefly, being conscious of what nostril is dominant gives us information about the suitableness of certain activities. The left nostril dominance indicates ida dominance and the right nostril the pingala. The central import of ida and pingala nadis are found in any good hatha yoga book; so I won't detail them here.

An important awareness for the yogi is that when the nostrils are balanced, the energy can flow into the sushumna nadis – being harmonized and synchronized, our latent non-dual dynamics becomes activated. This is best for meditation and spiritual practices. These flows can be easily observed and manipulated any time during the day or even while sleeping through the application of awareness (chit prana).

Sleeping on the left side usually opens the right swara, while laying on the left side opens the flow through the right swara. The swaras can also be opened through placing pressure on the opposite armpits and other methods some of which can be purely mental.

This is only the rudiments of Swara Yoga which as stated is a vast subject, and is said to encompass the whole science of pranayama. As pranayama is a technique within hatha yoga, then in this sense, swara yoga techniques are also part of hatha yoga (at least those that lead to spiritual liberation). Thus in the application of swara yoga to hatha yoga pay attention not only to the quantity of the breath through each nostril, but its many more subtle qualities such as position in the nostril, direction of swirl, degree of coarseness, and many other tell-tale characteristics. This differentiation of the myriad qualities of the breath as it flows through the nostrils can be taken to an extreme by shamans and worldly minded people in order to gain many kinds of information and siddhi; but according to yogis the science is valuable for mukti – liberation, and as such that is its best usage.

What is of value and can be learned very easily is to balance the breath in both nostrils evenly before and during meditation (called sushumna breath). Rather than making this another chore to do, perhaps it is best to phrase this as ALLOWING for the left and right breaths to become even. Anyone can easily get in touch with which nostril is blocked by temporarily closing off the opposite nostril one at a time. The nostril which makes the highest pitch sound is the one that is most constricted. Unless we have a deviated septum or other physical illness we can consciously learn to open up the clogged nostril simply through conscious intention once the awareness and energy is focused (chit prana). When the breath is so balanced, then there is another shift in consciousness that directly relates deeply to the core nervous system (cutting past the superficial layering and filtering of the intellect) that creates a definitive ontological shift from dualistic imbalance into simultaneous co-arising non-dual co-participation – into harmony and unity – in short, into a subjective experiential appreciation of yoga that is in harmony with the natural Mind. Such non-dual breath affects the mind profoundly; while the energy is said to move in the central/non-dual nadi, the sushumna, rather than in the polar nadis of ida and pingala.

The consistent conscious application of chit prana, which obeys the principle that states "where ever the mind goes so does one’s energy and vice versa" prevents our energy from becoming imbalanced and dissipated (according to where our attention is focused and thought patterns). Increasing our awareness of the subtle nuances of chit-prana is effective in all aspects of daily life as well as in sleep, but of course it has tremendous value in order to set a basic frame for meditation; as the mind is no longer discursive and if it does become agitated, returning to this even breath (called sushumna breath) will again help eliminate the vrttis. Although very powerful for meditation, the sushumna breath is very easily taught to students.

Hari OM!

Doc
Go to Top of Page

Bodhisearcher

7 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2007 :  05:34:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhisearcher's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Shanti and Doc,
thanks for your replies, the articles were helpful; they reiterate what i understood from the book Swara Yoga, but supply relevant info.

I was hoping there might be a teacher present on this board who had intimate knowledge of the conditions and their relevance. For example, there are times when the dominance of one swara over the other is very subtle and times when it is pronounced, would this indicate the degree of inbalance?

Thanks and
Peace

Ciaran

Edited by - Bodhisearcher on Mar 10 2007 05:36:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2007 :  9:13:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I read that book too, Ciaran. I got into it for a while, then I began to feel really horrible as a result of it. Not only did I feel horrible, but I was sleeping on the side I didn't want to sleep on and I was basing what I did on principles which seemed to make very little difference to me. I was changing my flow because in order to experience more success in yoga practice (there wasn't any more success) and I was getting worried (that's the worst part) about how my flow was when I was stepping outside of my house or getting out of bed. Not fun!

The only cool thing I got out of it was changing your flow by laying on your side and pressing the nerve centers on that side of the body. It's really kind of fun to experience that happening. A cool trick to do.

As for your question, the only indicator of imbalance is the need to find the answers you seek. Be at peace. Getting worried about your nostril's natural rhythm isn't good. Let it do what it will, and if you're interested in swara yoga, take notes on what it's doing, like the Swami's book suggests to do. Then study the notes and see for yourself if there is any significant difference with changes in weather patterns, moon cycles, etc.

And if you can find a teacher who seems to have the characteristics you think are desireable for yourself to have, then I hope you would have them teach you everything they know and see good results.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhisearcher

7 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2007 :  6:21:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhisearcher's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"As for your question, the only indicator of imbalance is the need to find the answers you seek. Be at peace."

Hi Scott,

Interesting that you consider inquiery into the workings of internal processes as a form of imbalance.
Can one not seek to understand whilst in a state of peace?
Is it not the knowledge that leads to the practice that gives rise to the result we seek?
I would contend that practice with knowledge is more powerful than practice without.

Thanks for your good intention, but im afraid you misunderstand, i am not getting worried, i am merely becoming aware. I am not practicing Swara yoga but find it very useful to have some of the indicators this book offers. Helpfull to know when Shushumna is active and maybe helpful to know if there is some indicator that physical illness is impending so one can take appropriate action.
As it happens i am as i type experiencing ill health due to a tetnus injection after cutting myself at work.
I am not wishing it was not here i am watching it, experiencing it with awareness.

This Quote i was sent recently comes to mind, " Use what seems like poison as medicine! We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings..."

Scott you say,
"And if you can find a teacher who seems to have the characteristics you think are desireable for yourself to have, then I hope you would have them teach you everything they know and see good results"

I am fortunate to have the guidance of A very experienced Swami who is a disciple of Swami Satyanada. I have been practicing the preparation stages for Kundalini Yoga for about 9 months now. My personal circumstance means i cannot meet with her very often but we speak every month. I feel very fortunate. I also have a cousin who is a teacher with the Satyananda school who i speak to regularly.

It is nice to have been directed to this forum as it would seem there is a wealth of experience in the writing of contributers its good to have those on a similar path to talk to.

Thanks for replying Scott,

Shanti, Shanti, Shanti,

Ciaran
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2007 :  12:31:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ciaran,

First of all I didn't mean any offense to you personally. I don't even know you, and would have no reason to judge who you are. So please don't take offense by my coarse way of communicating.

quote:
Interesting that you consider inquiery into the workings of internal processes as a form of imbalance.
Can one not seek to understand whilst in a state of peace?
Is it not the knowledge that leads to the practice that gives rise to the result we seek?
I would contend that practice with knowledge is more powerful than practice without.

Imbalance is any movement outside of the natural, relaxed, declutched state of being. Practice gets us back to that state, but it's not the practice itself which is that state. It's just the car which gets us there. So yes, questioning spiritual matters is a sign of imbalance. If there is balance then there's no more need to question because then you have become the answer.

I agree with you all that you've said in your questions.

quote:
Thanks for your good intention, but im afraid you misunderstand, i am not getting worried, i am merely becoming aware. I am not practicing Swara yoga but find it very useful to have some of the indicators this book offers. Helpfull to know when Shushumna is active and maybe helpful to know if there is some indicator that physical illness is impending so one can take appropriate action.
As it happens i am as i type experiencing ill health due to a tetnus injection after cutting myself at work.
I am not wishing it was not here i am watching it, experiencing it with awareness.

Do you think that by noticing the activities of your nervous system, you could tell that you were going to get a cut and a tetanus shot?

quote:
This Quote i was sent recently comes to mind, " Use what seems like poison as medicine! We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings..."

I agree with that quote. I hope no one that hears it or thinks something similar to it take the idea too far, though, by inviting suffering into their lives unnecessarily. That would be another sign of imbalance.

The yoga sutras say to accept things the way they are. A person who does that is displaying characteristics of balance. So if you're suffering, then you accept it and learn and naturally apply that to your dealings with your fellow human beings, out of the compassion which arises effortlessly. If you're not experiencing suffering, then there's no good reason to go seek it out just to become more compassionate.

quote:
I am fortunate to have the guidance of A very experienced Swami who is a disciple of Swami Satyanada. I have been practicing the preparation stages for Kundalini Yoga for about 9 months now. My personal circumstance means i cannot meet with her very often but we speak every month. I feel very fortunate. I also have a cousin who is a teacher with the Satyananda school who i speak to regularly.

I wish you luck. What exactly are you seeking from all of this (if you don't mind me asking)?
Go to Top of Page

Bodhisearcher

7 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2007 :  05:22:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhisearcher's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Scott,

firstly i took no offence in your writing and you do not express yourself coarsly.

"Imbalance is any movement outside of the natural, relaxed, declutched state of being. Practice gets us back to that state, but it's not the practice itself which is that state. It's just the car which gets us there. So yes, questioning spiritual matters is a sign of imbalance. If there is balance then there's no more need to question because then you have become the answer."

Sorry but i dont how to use the quote facility :(
I think when we discuss imbalance it is fair to say that all states of mind other than that of total awakening are imbalanced. It is, i guess, a matter of degree.
I am sure you are not suggesting that we cease to question and then we will have balance. Rather that there will be imbalance untill one reaches the goal.I accept this view, if of coarse this is what you mean.

"Do you think that by noticing the activities of your nervous system, you could tell that you were going to get a cut and a tetanus shot?"

No, but i do feel that we can get advance warning of impending illness.

"I agree with that quote. I hope no one that hears it or thinks something similar to it take the idea too far, though, by inviting suffering into their lives unnecessarily. That would be another sign of imbalance."

That would be crazy eh. But the "attitude" that would take on the suffering of all beings is the expression of an enlightened being,See Tong-len.
What i get from that quote is that we can use our personal suffering to grow and evolve rather than something to set us back.

"If you're not experiencing suffering, then there's no good reason to go seek it out just to become more compassionate."

If your not experiencing suffering then you may have some tempory release from samsara, if it is permanent cessation of suffering then you are enlightened and there will be no more questions.
But i aggree one should not seek to suffer, that is plain crazy.

"I wish you luck. What exactly are you seeking from all of this (if you don't mind me asking)?"

Of coarse i dont mind you asking, I would be silly to try (with my limited mind of an ordinary being) to try and describe awakening but i will have a stab at what i think i hope to get out of this.

I seek the cessation of all mental afflictions, i seek the illumined mind of an omnicient being, i seek this in order that i may benefit all sentient beings. I aspire to Buddha and all the qualities that one has.
For now i will be content to seek understanding of How yoga works and implement this understanding in my daily practice.

I have been a student of Tibetan Buddhism for about 5 years now and came to yoga through the teachings of Geshe Michael Roach. I have been reading on yoga for about 3 years and practicing for about two and a half years. i have had a daily practice for about 15 months. So i am a beginner realy but i have high aspiration, i will not waste the opportunity this life presents me with.
What do you seek from your practice,if you dont mind me asking ;-)

Scott Thanks for the conversation,

Peace,
ciaran
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2007 :  05:41:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi ciaran

quote:

First, mark the text that you want to copy (and click Edit + copy the way you usually do in a text). Place the cursor where you want the copied text to appear in your reply. Then click on the "insert quote" icon in the format bar (the icon with the right pointing red arrow). The quote brackets appear. Place the cursor between the brackets and click "paste" from the Edit menue on top of your screen.

Viola!

PS. Sorry if I got too detailed.....just didn't know how much you already knew . Also - if you want to - you can click on the smilies (the face "bar" to the left of your reply) and click on instead of :(
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2007 :  06:46:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Place the cursor where you want the copied text to appear in your reply. Then click on the "insert quote" icon in the format bar (the icon with the right pointing red arrow). The quote brackets appear. Place the cursor between the brackets and click "paste" from the Edit menue on top of your screen.

You can also first paste the text you copied, mark it (drag it blue), ane then click the copy icon in the format bar. The brackets will automatically embrace the copied text.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhisearcher

7 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2007 :  06:51:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhisearcher's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Katrine,

quote:

quote:
Viola!

Thanks

Ciaran

Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2007 :  06:40:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Scott,
Welcome back!
Did you have a boy or a girl?
Seriously though, I am glad to see you are still conversing in your usual course manner.
quote:
As for your question, the only indicator of imbalance is the need to find the answers you seek. Be at peace.

I just wanted to pick up on this. What you wrote is no doubt true. After all, if there is no imballance, and we are at peace, why would we wish to understand our imballances? But how useful is it to anyone? What is someone supposed to do with that? It is like saying to someone that they are not enlightened because of their ego (you didn't say that, someone else did). What is someone supposed to do with that? It doesn't help us to move forward. And if somone stopped enquiring into the nature of their imballances because you told them that the process of enquiry was itself the indicator of their imballance, then they could miss out on an incredible journey. Sorry to labour the point, but I have seen things like this cropping up on the forum recently (maybe whilst you were away) and I don't think it is helpfull.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2007 :  06:47:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Bodhisearcher,
quote:
I seek the cessation of all mental afflictions, i seek the illumined mind of an omnicient being, i seek this in order that i may benefit all sentient beings. I aspire to Buddha and all the qualities that one has.
For now i will be content to seek understanding of How yoga works and implement this understanding in my daily practice.

Welcome to the forum.
With aspirations like that I don't think you will have any problems at all. Your bakti (spiritual desire) will take you all the way.
If you do manage to work out how yoga works (we are all still trying in this forum), then I suspect you will find everything you seek, and a whole lot more. You may even find you are everything you seek, a bit like playing hide and seek with yourself.
Do feel free to ask questions if you have any.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2007 :  1:48:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ciaran,

quote:

I have been a student of Tibetan Buddhism for about 5 years now and came to yoga through the teachings of Geshe Michael Roach. I have been reading on yoga for about 3 years and practicing for about two and a half years. i have had a daily practice for about 15 months. So i am a beginner realy but i have high aspiration, i will not waste the opportunity this life presents me with.

Sounds great!

quote:
What do you seek from your practice,if you dont mind me asking ;-)

Well, it used to be a nice answer but these days it's just this: relaxing. I used to be on fire for this stuff. Hopefully my lack of motivation towards spiritual goals doesn't rub off on you, and hopefully you attain what you seek.

Christi,

quote:
Hi Scott,
Welcome back!
Did you have a boy or a girl?
Seriously though, I am glad to see you are still conversing in your usual course manner.

Haha. I had pretty bad kundalini problems, but no child yet (I hope). Thanks for the welcome back.

quote:
I just wanted to pick up on this. What you wrote is no doubt true. After all, if there is no imballance, and we are at peace, why would we wish to understand our imballances? But how useful is it to anyone? What is someone supposed to do with that? It is like saying to someone that they are not enlightened because of their ego (you didn't say that, someone else did). What is someone supposed to do with that? It doesn't help us to move forward. And if somone stopped enquiring into the nature of their imballances because you told them that the process of enquiry was itself the indicator of their imballance, then they could miss out on an incredible journey. Sorry to labour the point, but I have seen things like this cropping up on the forum recently (maybe whilst you were away) and I don't think it is helpfull.

I agree with you entirely. Practicing meditation is what's helpful and what I said is just a pointer. It certainly doesn't do the job though. Good point.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2007 :  03:56:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Scott,
quote:
Haha. I had pretty bad kundalini problems, but no child yet (I hope). Thanks for the welcome back.

Sorry to hear about the kundalini problems. Hope you are doing better now. Whilst you were away there has been a lot more posted on dealing with kundalini problems (not by me). See here if you are interested:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=2210

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2007 :  6:04:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Christi.
Go to Top of Page

Mister DK

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2017 :  4:35:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've found easiest way to balance the nostril swara (to facilitate Sushumna breathing) is to use a danda (stick) under the armpit of the opposite arm of the blocked nostril (ie. if the right nostril is blocked, then place the danda under the left armpit). Only takes about 1-2 minutes to clear the blocked passage and facilitate balanced breathing in the nostrils. I use the technique prior to meditation and spinal breathing practices to balance the breath. It's a quick and effective use (albeit overly simplified) swara yoga practice. You can Google yoga danda stick to find inexpensive and viable options. Only Love! OM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000