Building a Daily Practice with Self-Pacing
 Isolation and Self-pacing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2024 :  06:03:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Apart from the usual uncomfortable kundalini symptoms that alert us to the need to self-pace, there are other less obvious symptoms that sometimes lead me to the question - is that a sign of "too much"?
One of them is the strong feeling - and I am sure most of us have had this feeling of wanting to leave everything behind and disappearing off-grid to some mountain hermitage or isolated island (in my case) - is that a sign that we should self-pace?
Lately, the only thing I can think about is how fast can I leave this world. It all seems too much of a bother, when I simply want to live in peace. Am I just too addicted to ecstatic bliss? Should I self-pace?

Yogani and other sources of wisdom emphasize on remaining active in the world.

Sey

Christi

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2024 :  1:28:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sey,

Being active in the world is a good idea in general, as it helps us to remain grounded and stable whilst we have responsibilities in the world (families to care for and work). However, it is very common to want to spend time away from the world in retreat-mode. This can be with a group of people or in isolation. Retreats in isolation are more challenging, because there is no support from others who are present, or the benefit of the stabilising effect caused by group meditation, but they can be very beneficial for those who are ready. I have done many retreats over the years, both in groups and in isolation. If you are not used to retreats in isolation, then I would definitely recommend taking part in several group retreats before attempting a solo retreat.

Wanting to spend time in retreat mode is not a symptom of overdoing practices. It is simply a natural development of the practices.

You may find this lesson useful:

Lesson 387 - Retreats

And this lesson addition on solo AYP retreats:

Addition 387.3 - Solo Retreats

Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2024 :  06:13:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Christi. Much appreciated.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

Deer

Indonesia
26 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2024 :  05:39:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Deer's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by SeySorciere

Apart from the usual uncomfortable kundalini symptoms that alert us to the need to self-pace, there are other less obvious symptoms that sometimes lead me to the question - is that a sign of "too much"?
One of them is the strong feeling - and I am sure most of us have had this feeling of wanting to leave everything behind and disappearing off-grid to some mountain hermitage or isolated island (in my case) - is that a sign that we should self-pace?
Lately, the only thing I can think about is how fast can I leave this world. It all seems too much of a bother, when I simply want to live in peace. Am I just too addicted to ecstatic bliss? Should I self-pace?

Yogani and other sources of wisdom emphasize on remaining active in the world.

Sey

Hi SeySorciere,

I can relate to you. What you are describing does not seem like a result of too much practice, but rather the emergence of true desire for a quieter and slower pace of life.

I strongly desired to leave my city and job in early 2019 (right after a 10-day Vipassana retreat) and live in a cabin in the woods. It took a few years to start arranging my life to better suit my preferences, but I was ultimately able to slowly build a new life that allows for a blend of community-cities and isolation-wilderness, but it took awhile, and the process tested me quite a bit along the way.

Wishing you the best on your path
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000