Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 People not self-pacing their practices effectively
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Christi

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2024 :  11:45:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

Over the last few years I have become aware of an increasing number of people who are using the AYP system, but who are basically not self-pacing their practices. These people usually experience a string of overload symptoms and do not progress far on the path.

There seem to be a number of reasons that people do not self-pace effectively:

1. Cutting back on practices once, thinking that is all that is needed, and not making further adjustments downwards beyond that if necessary.

2. Cutting back on practices for a day or two and then stepping back up to previous levels of practice, without first becoming stable at the new level of practice.

3. Not cutting back at all on practices, thinking that is it best to just "push through".

Usually when these situations arise, it is accompanied by a high level of "bhakti" (spiritual desire) in the practitioner. Unfortunately, people who do these things usually end up making slower progress overall, even though they have a desire for fast progress on the path.

Good self-pacing means cutting back on practices when necessary and then continuing to cut back until stable. It also means remaining at the new stable level for a reasonable amount of time (weeks rather than days) before stepping back up. Stepping back up should be done gradually, not simply in one step and may not be necessary at all, as the new level of practice may be ideal for the time-being.

Jeanjean82

France
24 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2024 :  3:25:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Christi,
I recognize myself in these description. Some difficulty for me is to recognize overload symptom linked with too much practice. It seems to me that overload symptom may take various forms (fatigue, tension in the body, dark mood). Maybe some experience is needed here!
Go to Top of Page

iamthat

India
14 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2024 :  04:31:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for reminding yet again
the critical importance of self pacing in our journeys
Go to Top of Page

Deer

Indonesia
26 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2024 :  09:35:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Deer's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for this gentle and critical reminder. I appreciate the self-pacing aspect of AYP so much.
Go to Top of Page

Gabereal

USA
16 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2024 :  7:51:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well it is yoga lol. Upwards at any cost has been the mindset of many yogis for a millennium. I think diet and caffeine intake play a larger role than many suspect . Blaming kundalini for problems that the vast majority of the population suffer from is really sad. For some reason people think kundalini overload equates to some form of advancement . For the past decade I've seen people jump on a kundalini overload bandwagon and they wear it like a badge of honor. We can look back at say lahiri students and many of them reporting practicing to over 5 hours a day and I'm not aware of them complaining about "overloads". And to be fair I've blamed my fair share of problems on kundalini in the past. In all honesty unless someone experiences a surge of kundalini (which greatly changes perception - there's no mistaking this. You know something "abnormal" is happening. One may even think to go to the emergency because vitals are out the roof) you're likely blaming ordinary problems that most people (lay persons) experience and can be fixed by eating healthier. Get a food allergy test done. And then maybe ask yourself if you're exaggerating your symptoms in an attempt to feel like you're advanced and just jumping on this bandwagon of people pretending they are advanced yogis pointing to their "overloads" as the proof.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2201 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2024 :  03:12:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You make a good point Gabereal, that it takes discernment in what is overload, or something not related to your practices. It is good practice (as inner silence arises) to inquire and be curious about thoughts and happenings, and to rule out any possible medical or mental health issues. AYP is prudent to implore aspirants to reduce duration/practices when in discomfort or distress, knowing we all are different, and these practices may be stimulating. There is little overload here, in over ten years of AYP, and yoga finds a way into most minutes of daily living, asanas find their way into idle moments. This amount of yoga could be quite unstable in other bodies.
Go to Top of Page

th1996

Germany
23 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2024 :  11:52:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
@Gabereal: I am not sure about this. Whenever I practise too much I have more "problems" in life than usual. Of course these problems are not much different like other people have. It's logical. But u know too much prana in my system leads to more tiredness, depressed feelings and a general uncomfortability.

So, I think we can't blame too much kundalini for our general problems, but we can blame it for having it increasingly.

Edited by - th1996 on Apr 15 2024 1:05:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2024 :  1:16:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Gabriel and all,

Energetic overload is a particular condition where people have an excess of prana in their body and are experiencing uncomfortable, or painful symptoms as a result of that. It is the case that people can have problems in their life for other reasons, but that is not what I am referring to here.

Energetic overload does not necessarily occur due to long periods of spiritual practices. Some people are able to engage in long practice sessions each day and not experience energetic overload. They could simply be under-sensitive spiritually. Or, they could have already undergone a good amount of spiritual purification and so be able to handle the flows of large amounts of energy with little difficulty. Energetic overload is a situation where too much prana is flowing for the system to handle. Because the cause is an excess of prana in the body, any symptoms usually respond quite quickly to effective self-pacing and grounding practices. So there is a cause and effect, and a simple remedy. The old days of "upwards at any cost" are now outdated, as we have better management processes available, ones that are actually faster in the long-run.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2024 :  8:34:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by th1996

@Gabereal: I am not sure about this. Whenever I practise too much I have more "problems" in life than usual. Of course these problems are not much different like other people have. It's logical. But u know too much prana in my system leads to more tiredness, depressed feelings and a general uncomfortability.

So, I think we can't blame too much kundalini for our general problems, but we can blame it for having it increasingly.

Consider the possibility that you are just noticing the problems more. Practice changes us, and we project those changes on our life and our world. You may have been far more numb and oblivious than you currently remember.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2201 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2024 :  01:41:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Jim!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000