Yamas & Niyamas - Restraints & Observances
 Chocolate (and coffee)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

th1996

Germany
23 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2024 :  09:08:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I just read the topic where Christi says coffee and sugar is bad for cultivating stillness.

I eat everyday chocolate and coffee. Most of the time Only a little chocolate after my meals (two times a day) and one cup of coffee before every pratise session. How you know through other posts I have trouble to cultivate the witness. Can chocolate and coffee be the reason?

I mean, coffee does improve my journey (at least it seems so). I never have drunk coffee still 2-3 years ago. And since then nothing changed except that I have more energy in my daily life and the experiences in my pratise is much better. So, It seems like that stillness is not less cultivated through coffee. And I am on the path since 8 years.

But chocloate is part of my journey since the beginning. Sometimes very much, sometimes nothing. But most of the time a little bit. So, maybe that is the reason I haven?t cultivated stillness, yet, isn't it???

And what I find a little worrying. In time, my diet gets worser. I mean, I added caffeine, I eat more meat the last 2-3 years ( I was vegetarian some time of my journey in the beginning). And general more sugar. But yogani says with spiritual progress this things should get less...how can this be?

I think because I notice there is no really big change in my journey without this things I don't mind, and actually it makes my life more easy.

And I find my life better this way.(It's very hard to not eat chocolate) Should I change it or should I leave it like this for the purpose of my spiritual journey?

In short, should I listen to my heart, which says it's okay how it is, or should I go the rational path, which says sugar and caffeine is bad for spiritual progress? of course, some part of me want it like this, because it's much easier like this, but my bhakti wants the most of progress. So, I am not sure what to do...

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2024 :  12:41:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi th1996,

Spiritual journey is about finding out what you are. You and I and everyone are That - and no coffee or chocolate could change That. Having a lot of stimulating things before meditation could make it harder to get deeper into it, but how much is too much depends on the person. And being vegetarian does not guarantee the awakening to our true nature.

I know many yogis and yoginis who drink some coffee, and people with deep awakenings who eat meat and chocolate and drink coffee. And I know people whose diet changed as a result of spiritual practices.

If you want to experiment, you could limit or eliminate these things from your diet for two weeks. Keep a journal to record any changes, and after two weeks re-evaluate this decision.

As Yogani would say, if eliminating coffee, chocolate, and meat were to bring enlightenment, we would have had many people enlightened in the world. So do not worry too much about this and continue with your practice.

Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000