Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 Good body posture
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Mats

Germany
43 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2023 :  9:20:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Should one strive to keep a "good" body posture off the mat? I mean, it obviously is a medical recommendation. But I'm thinking spiritually. Does it make a difference to mind sitting straight, lenghten your neck, stretch your collar bones in terms of spiritual weelbeing (perhaps grounding as well)?

Cato

Germany
225 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2023 :  7:46:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Mats,

I could imagine that it has some relevance. I'm thinking of an emotional state and its eqiuvalence in one's body posture. Or an opening of the heart-center versus a saggy body posture. You often can see people's emotional state (generally and particularly) in their body posture or body language. But I could only guess how body posture in general might affect our spiritual journey, whether keeping a straight and open body posture might be beneficial to spirituality or not.
Go to Top of Page

dcame

Canada
11 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2023 :  6:14:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit dcame's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Somewhere on YouTube there is an Eckhart Tolle video where he reads out a viewer's email.

"I used to think good posture was a prerequisite for enlightenment," the viewer wrote. "Then I saw you!"
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2023 :  10:32:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think maintaining a good hip, back, neck and head alignment while reading, driving, walking, typing, fixing a bicycle, or doing my longer Iyengar Asana routine, is helpful. It helps me remain near a meditative state all the time, to be better at "rolling with the flow," and just remaining calm and thinking before I react. It also helps with being agile, and preventing myself from falling.

I'm in favor of good positioning just about all the time, if possible.
Go to Top of Page

George227

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2023 :  9:56:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
As Dcame pointed out, it's definitely not essential, but from personal experience working on your posture can have some spiritual benefits.

I'd encourage you to try and experiment holding your awareness with a slumped vs an upright posture - I've found the difference to be quite noticeable.

If you are interested in doing posture improving exercises, i highly recommend looking into rolfing - The New Rules of Posture by Mary Bond is a good guide.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2201 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2023 :  02:09:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Over the years I have overcome some cervical and thoracic spine issues, particularly due to genetics. Now with a conductive body, anytime I am intentional with my posture or movement, there is a sense of inner expansion. Inner attention pays immediate dividends.
Go to Top of Page

Mats

Germany
43 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2023 :  6:33:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all, these are some really interesting points.

Eckhart Tolle does not really have good posture. He was born close to enlightenment and might have had good posture along the the road :)

Thanks for bringing up rolfing, I will have a look at that. My feeling is that good posture is beneficial in many aspects, amongst others emotionally and spiritually.

Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000