AYPsite.org Forum
 Healthcare - Holistic and Modern
 Ayurvedic question...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chard

250 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2007 :  9:31:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have just recently been reading up on Ayurvedic medicine. I've been doing yoga for 10 years and now I'm doing the AYP suggestions including 20 min. deep meditation in the morning and evening using the IAM mantra. my kundalini has recently awakened as of 2 months ago. I've had some inbalances but with the AYP suggestions, I have found a stable platform. I'm looking for some guidance in the area of physical health and I would like to use an approach that complements what I'm already doing with AYP. I love the AYP suggestions but I just hope that an Ayurvedic doctor does not give me techniques that contradict what I'm already doing based upon my body's individual needs. Any feedback??
Thanks, Chard

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  08:31:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Chard, and welcome!

Ayurveda and AYP are generally compatible, assuming techniques are self-paced and balanced. The main way we use ayurvedic principles in AYP is for balancing the inner energies in relation to kundalini awakening, primarily with diet, though any ayurvedic measures undertaken will be in support of balancing the inner energies (all of ayurveda is about balancing the three aspects/doshas of our inner constitution -- vatta, pitta and kapha).

Ayurveda in AYP is used in conjunction with a range of energy balancing and grounding methods which are discussed in this lesson: http://www.aypsite.org/69.html
There is a link covering some ayurveda resources there too: http://www.aypsite.org/ayurveda.html

Pursuing ayruvedic methods for health reasons is likely to be consistent with using it for spiritual reasons, as ayurveda is always about cultivating inner balance. Of course, you must be the judge of the effectiveness of any approach or technique, based on your own experience.

Wishing you all the best on your chosen path. Enjoy!

The guru is in you.

PS -- This topic has been moved for better placement.
Go to Top of Page

Chard

250 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  11:49:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks so much for the prompt and very helpful response, Yogani!
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2012 :  09:38:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Bumping this topic!

I have never tried ayurveda properly. Now I've had a session with an ayurvedic professional, and have started to use simple and enjoyable things to find bodily balance. I must say I'm happily surprised over the effectiveness of these simple things! By pulse reading he could accurately tell about my past health and current health.

Much of what I've called "kundalini overload" is in ayurveda called "vata imbalance" (from what I understand with my shallow knowledge), and the remedies for that are working so well, and rather immediately, so I'm speechless! I'd strongly recommend an ayurvedic approach to health and well-being in combination with AYP!

The favourite treatment here right now is abhyanga - oil massage before shower or bath - with coconut oil. I've tried with sesamy oil, olive oil... and when I changed to coconut oil - there was a perfect match and a real calming effect!

I'd strongly recommend to see someone. I've tried to read on the net and answering tests to find out if I'm vata, pitta or kapha and by myself figure out what to do. In those tests I've always come out as a dominating Pitta. However, I was told that may well be correct, but had nothing to do with what I needed to balance my body! No wonder I've never discovered any particular effect of applying a pitta-balancing diet etc.

Edited by - emc on Jul 24 2012 10:08:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2012 :  12:56:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Good to hear, emc.
I use a Vatta-balancing herb-tea blend in the winters (from Maharishi Ayurveda), and a Winter blend (Cold Season, from Yogi Tea). Vatta imbalance seems to aggravate in vatta time (night, fall, winter).
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2012 :  3:06:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, vatta disturbance has been showing up here by waking up at 4.30 every morning. Vatta time between 4-6. At 6.00 I've been able to go back to sleep.
Go to Top of Page

savitha

India
5 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2012 :  7:27:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit savitha's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Massaging body with ksheerabala oil helps to balance tridoshas. This oil is widely recommended in all texts of ayurveda. Ksheera bala oil has Sesame oil as base processed with vata pacifying herbs like Bala (Sida cardifolia) and pitta pacifying milk.
Go to Top of Page

ramkishan754

India
2 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2013 :  04:33:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

hiiiiiii
my name is Ram kishan.i read your very all the post, it is very helpful for everyone, i want to say thanks forum.Here we easily share our problems and get the solution of our problems. Each herb has a property.and they help to save our life. THE AYURVEDA opens the secretes of each herb.
Go to Top of Page

robfrommi

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2013 :  10:33:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am actually going to see an Ayurvedic professional today just for a check up. I never gone before so I am a nervous and excited also. Lately my studies have peaked in ayurveda and after trying to figure out if I have any dosha imbalances i decided to just see what the doctor has to say!
Go to Top of Page

pkj

USA
158 Posts

Posted - May 02 2013 :  11:26:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with EMC. Have similar experiences when Kundilini fire become active there is lot of fire in the stomach so need to eat heavy foods and do the oil massage as well. Have similar experience of getting up at 4:30AM as well. EMC does the vata pacifying diet helped you in coping with the sleep. Thanks for the help.
Go to Top of Page

austinedesuza

USA
1 Posts

Posted - May 03 2013 :  08:46:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for shearing this information ! i also shared our experience about Ayurveda !The term ‘Ayurveda’ gives us a virtual tour the olden times and recalls to our memory saints who were natural healers of all types of deformities of human body while totally depending on herbs and trees around them.
Go to Top of Page

HideshPranachard

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2015 :  11:52:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have been on the same path as you Chard... practicing Yoga and meditation for many years before also getting into Ayurveda. Ayurvedic philosophy and teachings have given me a much deeper understand of Yoga and meditation, as the two are intimately related. I have now begun to practice Yoga according to my dosha/prakriti. I am almost equally balanced between Vata and Pitta, but slightly Vata dominant.

AYP has many great resources on Ayurveda and they have been very helpful for me as well. I have worked with a few Ayurvedic doctors and each has their own philosophy and approach, which I have found sometimes contradict each other. I believe it is best to educate yourself as much as possible so you can better understand your own body, mind and constitution. Just like AYP puts out a lot of excellent knowledge so you can become wise yourself.

Ayurveda is a very deep subject and so it is best to start studying now. It will be very useful if you have awakened Kundalini already. I too have kundalini experiences regularly and I have found that doing yoga and meditation specifically for my dosha and eating the right diet for my dosha has really helped me to manage some of the more unpleasant symptoms. I have learned quite a bit about proper Yoga for my dosha here: http://www.consciouslifestylemag.com/ayurvedic-body-type/ and also quite a bit about proper diet for my dosha and ayurvedic diet in general here: http://www.consciouslifestylemag.com/ayurvedic-diet-guidelines-for-health/

Those are just two resources that helped me but there are many more out there. Besides AYP literature I would recommend books and teachings by David Frawley, Dr. Vasant Lad and also books by Swami Satyananda Saraswati. They have all put out great information on Ayurveda that is really top notch and that really compliments AYP teachings and philosophy.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000