Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Is Samyama 3 steps or 2?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nothingatall

Lithuania
35 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2019 :  09:17:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I read in yoga sutras of patanjali that Samyama is advanced practice and it involves Dharana Dhyana Samadhi.

So it is concentration of the subject, releasing that subject and deep absorbtion of the subject.

I bought the ebook from AYP and what I understood is that we pick abstract object in our mind and we releasing it and it should dissolve in stillness thats only 2 step aproach vs 3 that is mentioned in Yoga sutras of patanjali.

Can someone clear this one for me? Maybe there is something else we need to be doing after we release abstract subject into stillness?

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2019 :  11:51:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Nothingatall,

It can be counted as two steps, or three steps, depending on how you count the steps.

In the description of Samyama by Yogani, the first step is to bring the mind to silence (Samadhi) by using Deep Meditation. Then we pick up the sutra (dharana) and release it into silence (dhyana).

Yogani talks about this in this lesson:

Lesson 176 - Dissecting Samyama

It is discussed in the ebook on Samyama on page 24 here:

"Samyama is having inner silence (samadhi), the ability to pick up a thought (focus/dharana), and let it go inward (meditation/dhyana), all at the same time. Then the results of samyama come out from inner silence automatically." [Yogani]

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Arunachala Bhakta

Finland
30 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2019 :  03:10:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
One more amazingly clarifying and beautiful AYP topic & lesson, on such an important part of yoga.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000